Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blight and environment destruction caused by signage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blight and environment destruction caused by signage...

WHY do we have NO subject pertaining to our environment. the aina. ocean...
    under:
    Ka Nohona
    Exploring island life.
    (or anywhere else? If so, I didn't see it.)

Query:
    WHAT can be done;
    who can we contact;
    to get rid of that obnoxious huge sign on flat island. We have enjoyed this place for decades. NOW it is ruined. By state bureaucracy.

TOO much signage on our island. Blight caused by the haole way of doing things here in hawaii.
    what CAN be done to remedy this!?
    Last edited by kimo55; October 18, 2004, 08:38 PM.

Re: Blight and environment destruction caused by signage...

Eh Kimo, you think the City and County of Honolulu has a problem with the urban blight caused by billboards and other signage? I don't think I was hallucinating this, but a few months ago in Maui County, they wanted to abolish the requirement that all campaign signs had to be removed, even from private property, after an election. I think the recall measure was laughed down, but think about it: someday, maybe 100 years or so from now, an archeologist will be rooting around in Hawaii Kai and come across a Case or a Tanonaka or Hanneman political sign and come up with theories about who those guys were waaaay back in 2004!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      under:
      Ka Nohona
      Exploring island life.

Query:
      WHAT can be done;
      who can we contact;
      to get rid of that obnoxious huge sign on flat island. We have enjoyed this place for decades. NOW it is ruined. By state bureaucracy.

TOO much signage on our island. Blight caused by the haole way of doing things here in hawaii.
      Kimo -- what obnoxious huge sign on flat island? For that matter, where exactly is "flat island"?

[edit]
      OK, after a little googling I figured it out. Sorry bout that. I don't get over to Kailua side that often. So there's a huge sign over there? Isn't the place supposed to be a bird sanctuary or something like that - how could they have permitted a large sign? Unless it's an official sign of course...
      [/edit]
      Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; October 18, 2004, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Unless it's an official sign of course...
        "oaf fish shul" or un. Nothing justifies the destruction of our natural beauty like that.

and i just LUV those big ug a lee signs at Hawaii kai lookout B4 Hanauma bay that tellya
        Scenic View
        Yea. It WAS, until they put up all those ugly eyesores!
        I mean, do we REALLY need to tell anyone a view is scenic? and then ruin the view?
        Kimo -- what obnoxious huge sign on flat island? For that matter, where exactly is "flat island"?
        ok, it's a biiig uuug ah lee sign. on flat island. That sign. only one.

Ok, flat island is off lanikai point... oh, ya found it. k.
        Last edited by kimo55; October 18, 2004, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Blight caused by the haole way of doing things here in hawaii.
          Unless there's some new sign in the past week or so, there's only a small sign warning that the island is a nature preserve. Same as the small signs on the Mokulua islets off of Lanikai.
          And those signs are nothing compared to the abandoned cars and refrigerators and mountains of other trash. Wanna blame that on the haole tourists too?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

ok, it's a biiig uuug ah lee sign. on flat island. That sign. only one.
            What does the sign say, who put it up, and how big is it?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              Unless there's some new sign in the past week or so, there's only a small sign warning that the island is a nature preserve. Same as the small signs on the Mokulua islets off of Lanikai.
              nope. sign is too big. no sign needed. as stated, it was not there for decades and everything was fine. now, we have a sign which ruins the whole scene.
              And those signs are nothing compared to the abandoned cars and refrigerators and mountains of other trash.
              Ya gotta stop making these meaningless irrelevant justifyin' comparisons. it just doesn't make sense!
              "big ugly signs are all right; they are nuthin compared to abandoned cars and refrigerators..."
              "wasting 90 thousand dollars is ok; its nuthin compared to the profits big business makes..."
              Wanna blame that on the haole tourists too?
              "too"? why?
              What does the sign say, who put it up, and how big is it?
              go there and weep.

just past Buzzes. off Lanikai point.

http://www.alohafriends.com/Kayakadventure.html
              Originally posted by Miulang
              Eh Kimo, you think the City and County of Honolulu has a problem with the urban blight caused by... signage? Miulang
              well they are the cause, along with the state.
              Last edited by kimo55; October 19, 2004, 09:22 AM.

Comment

well they are the cause, along with the state.
                Well, at least some individual residents are thinking about the environment and lending their kokua to study and protect the reefs around the 'aina. These volunteers understand that if we continue to take things like our ocean for granted (including all the environmental things that are damaging the creatures in the ocean), pretty soon, the islands will also die .

More here:
                http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03p.html

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I wrote:
                  Wanna blame that on the haole tourists too?

And Kimo55 replied:
                  "too"? why?

Because you wrote that the blight was caused by the haole way of doing things, Kimo. And when I asked if it was haoles who create all the abandoned cars and refrigerators and other mountains of roadside trash, you blow it off and you won't answer the question.
                  Since you can't seem to communicate reasonably and since you seem to want to make this (and other topics you participate in) into a racial thing, I'm just gonna let you have the last word and try to ignore your posts.
                  Have a nice day!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

you wrote that the blight was caused by the haole way of doing things, Kimo.
                    Hawaii was fine for so long. Then it was annexed. against the wishes of sooo many islanders. Then statehood happend, again, contrary to many kanaka maoli. things went 'downhill". It is the 50th state. And being the 'state' of Hawaii, american laws, bureaucracy, ... and everything that entails has turned this land, these islands into something unrecognizeable to the original inhabitants, and a land that is foreign to the original populace. "strangers in their own land".
                    My point is;
                    The americanization, the californication of this 'state' has ruined it. TOO much signage. all over the islands. "State" is allowed to condemn private land. eminent domain it. pave over it. Erect 24 hr. lights. erect toooo many signs. everywhere.

This land is becoming another suburb of L.A., the only difference is, it's geographically remote.
                    the bureaucratically minded will respond; "well, the Hawaiians have it easier now" or " what do the kanaka maoli want now? to go back to a primitive way of life?"
                    It's not that simple. But to just accept the direction things are going is not acceptable.

"The unexamined life is not worth living."
                    * -- *Socrates
                    since you seem to want to make this (and other topics you participate in) into a racial thing,
                    Nope. wrong. It is NOT a racial thing. It is racist to assume that. "haole" as pointed out many times, is NOT racial.
                    here's the word again:
                    "foreign"
                    (there's a mainland way of doing things. Then there's an island style way of doing things.)
                    Last edited by kimo55; October 19, 2004, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Having lived away from the 'aina longer than I actually lived there, I think I have a slightly different perspective. The people who were born and raised in Hawai'i and who still live there, for the most part, take what they have for granted. At the same time, they look up here to the Mainland and say, "gee, wouldn't it be nice if we could have the same things those guys up there have?"

In the process of all that soul searching, opportunists ("haole" and "non-haole") come along and take that general passivity as a sign that it's OK for them to rape and pillage the land. Happened to the Indians, happened to the kanaka maoli. Now the ancients have stirred something within their progeny that is causing more than a few people to be uncomfortable.

Most of the time, the kanaka maoli were a gentle people, but we also know that they could be fierce fighters when provoked. During their peaceful times, they took care of the land and each other...during times of war, they killed and pillaged. I stand with the kanaka maoli as a keiki o ka 'aina and say that it's time for people in Hawai'i, if you value what you have now, to take care of it and not allow your cities to turn into mini-LAs. If you really want all that we have up here...move up here, damn it. And leave Hawai'i for the people (both locals and nonlocals) who respect, cherish and are willing to protect all that is Hawaii.

Miulang

Comment

when I asked if it was haoles who create all the abandoned cars and refrigerators and other mountains of roadside trash, you blow it off and you won't answer the question.

ok.
                        that could be the result of many things; why can't we have a decent recycle system, of large and small items? why won't the state and C&C take these cars away?
                        Why do we see dozens of tickets collect on these very obviously abandoned cars?
                        What department, what person decided it is the way to handle this; to go out to the AV's and continually ticket them?! Ridiculous! (have you ever seen these junkers almost completely covered with duplicate tickets?!) More bureaucracy. more waste! Our tax dollars are wasted on SO many other things. But nothing is done to this junk. Drop off an AV near kalakaua and boy; you will see that thing dissappear faster than an unattended breifcase at LAX. and we are ticketed if our own car sits in front of our home unmoved for more than two days.
                        Whenever anyone queries the newspaper in these "bureaucracy buster" columns, (which incidentally does not bust bureaucracy), they lament the absurd phone tag they must play for hours just to hear each and every C&C and state dept. make excuses, offer NO remedies or satisfying anwswers, excuse themselves, and blame the other departments.

This is an effect of the aforementioned bureaucracy that has just seemed to make this place more of a mess than it should be. Even more than many cities on the mainland, for that matter.

I assumed the question to be rhetorical. Therefore unanswerable. Is there any answer that can satisfy you? How can we know exactly if it was "haoles" who created THAT mess?
                        so, ok; who created the roadside junk mess? all races that live here, of course.
                        But who creates the mess is not the question. It's how can we make it easy for people to NOT leave junk on the roadside.
                        Last edited by kimo55; October 19, 2004, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Nope. wrong. It is NOT a racial thing. It is racist to assume that. "haole" as pointed out many times, is NOT racial. here's the word again: "foreign"
                          Kimo, as this has come up several times before, no doubt you are very familiar with the common usage of "haole" as meaning "Caucasian" - however technically or historically incorrect. When it appears in English dictionaries, "white person" is the primary definition.

While you may enjoy pointing out this colloquial error, it is clear that it is the source of needless misunderstanding and presumptions in the threads in which you participate.

Even though we converse primarily in English here, of course appropriate use of Hawaiian words is important. But given the unfortunate baggage that many have attached to the word "haole" - and especially when its use is not central to the point you're trying to make - I would humbly submit that you help others focus more on your ideas rather than language and say "foreigner" (or "settler" or "occupier" or "colonizer" or whatever more directly expresses what you mean) when you mean "foreigner."

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            ... The people who were born and raised in Hawai'i and who still live there, for the most part, take what they have for granted. At the same time, they look up here to the Mainland and say, "gee, wouldn't it be nice if we could have the same things those guys up there have?"

In the process of all that soul searching, opportunists ("haole" and "non-haole") come along and take that general passivity as a sign that it's OK for them to rape and pillage the land. Miulang
                            good perspective. Often, too often, I read letters to the editor saying any number of versions of; "I am glad we are seeing a sams club open up here. I had to drive 10 minutes before, now, it is a lot closer."

WHAAAT!?

it IS this complacency, this spoiled attitude.... this need to have a starblecchs, a jackindabox on every street corner that is one of the many things that may assist many locals to feel a lil animosity to some people of... shall i say... "lighter shade of pale" in the epidermal department...
                            doesn''t make it wrong.. or right... just is...
                            Originally posted by admin
                            I would humbly submit that you help others focus more on your ideas rather than language and say "foreigner" (or "settler" or "occupier" or "colonizer" or whatever more directly expresses what you mean) when you mean "foreigner."
                            Oh, I really don't have any ideas. Just trying to start a raceriot on Kalakaua during the next march.

Joking!

point taken.
                            mahalos
                            I'm just gonna let you have the last word and try to ignore your posts. Have a nice day!
                            Oh, no. I know better. Yer addicted. Like me.
                            You will look at the posts.

You don't wanna.
                            But yer gonna!

Comment

under:
                              Ka Nohona
                              Exploring island life.
                              (or anywhere else? If so, I didn't see it.)

Query:
                              WHAT can be done;
                              who can we contact;

You like me bring da kine chainsaw when i come next week? We can down a bunch of those billboards in no time like theives in the night, lol..........i assume that what you mean by signs.
                              I wanted to cry my eyes out when i found out the KoleKole pass cross was removed how many ever years ago. Any thoughts on that? 63, 000 a year to maintain my ass, puleese, talk about your goverment overspending but damn the Atheist type people who started it in the first place.
                              If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X