Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Financial effects of Hawaii produced series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial effects of Hawaii produced series?

Here's an article from today's Advertiser that talks about how much money the State makes (and gives back by way of tax incentives) to the 3 (now 2 with the cancellation of Hawaii) TV series now filmed in Hawai'i. Note the generous tax incentives that are being given to the production companies. The article also mentions a theory I had about the low ratings which led to the cancellation of Hawai'i: no one on the Mainland wants to see stories about a Hawai'i that might have the same kinds of problems they endure at home. They would rather see the "Gidget Goes Hawaiian", waving palm tree, very little conflict, lots of eye candy kind of stereotypical idea of Hawai'i.

What will happen if the other 2 TV series get axed by the networks, or as the Advertiser notes, Lost, which is not specifically identified as being in Hawai'i but rather a "tropical" location which could be anywhere, moves to say, Vanuatu, or another tax haven?

This kind of economic diversification is not the kind that you need if you want long term self-sufficiency.

Miulang

Here: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz02p.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Financial effects of Hawaii produced series?

I posted the same article to the "Hawaii" on NBC thread in the Hawaii Television forum, but a broader discussion of the industry's impact on the state economy would be interesting.

I don't think TV and film work here is a bad thing, as it is "diversification" from tourism, yet can also be heralded by tourism gurus as being good for Hawaii's overall exposure. When they're here, at least it's more people working, and that's good... and I like that at least some of the work is creative, compared to, say, a construction or investment boom.

Like the article notes, the Hawaii film and TV biz is "feast or famine." And the fact of the matter is, even if we had ten movies and television series filming here at once, there's no way it would sway the economy all that noticably... and we'll certainly never be dependent on such a narrow industry.

Comment

Working...
    X