How 'bout them Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How 'bout them Red Sox

Taking the series to game 7...not bad. We'll have to see what happens tonight.
    La'akea

Re: How 'bout them Red Sox

Those bums (the Sox) are my boys! Hope they can break the "curse of the Bambino" today. They've already gained fame as the only team in the history of the playoffs to come from a 3-0 deficit to tie the series up and force a 7th game.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know much about baseball, but even I know this was a big deal. All the hubbub prompted me to go back and refresh my memory when it comes to the "Curse of the Bambino." If you believe in the curse, you can only see the historic, come-from-behind game seven as the biggest wind-up yet for another big let down.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        I don't know much about baseball, but even I know this was a big deal. All the hubbub prompted me to go back and refresh my memory when it comes to the "Curse of the Bambino." If you believe in the curse, you can only see the historic, come-from-behind game seven as the biggest wind-up yet for another big let down.
        Yeah, I know, but one can always hope! Besides, with the way the elections are turning out, isn't anything possible????

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

While my principal allegiance is to the Dodgers, I've for long felt a tug towards the Red Sox (it's probably related to all the times the Yankees beat the Dodgers in the '40s and '50s World Series; common enemies, and all that), so these last three games have just been gut-wrenchingly difficult to watch. Can redemption finally be at hand? I hope, I hope!
          Last edited by Linkmeister; October 20, 2004, 11:18 AM. Reason: "enemies" phrase added
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

On the local Boston news this evening a woman thinks that this is the Red Sox year! She was remodeling her bathroom and found a postcard postmarked 1918....the year that the Red Sox won the series! She's hoping that this is a sign that the curse will be broken! My hubby and oldest DD are big, big Red Sox fans! GO SOX!!!
            Lovena

Comment

Although I'm a diehard Yankees fan...the Red Sox really deserve to win. With all the talent that the Yankees have bought...they just don't put it together when it's needed...and they do spend BIG bucks for ARod, Jetter, etc.
              I'm not quite ready to cheer for the Sox but may have to!
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                Although I'm a diehard Yankees fan...the Red Sox really deserve to win. With all the talent that the Yankees have bought...they just don't put it together when it's needed...and they do spend BIG bucks for ARod, Jetter, etc.
                I'm not quite ready to cheer for the Sox but may have to!
                We saw ARod mature into the player he has become while he played here with the Mariners and were mightily disappointed when he went to the Yankees for the bucks. He abandoned his fans here and everytime they play us now and ARod comes to bat, he gets a pretty hearty round of boos from the fans. Now the Yankees also have John Olerud, also one of our local favorites. This trade may have been one of the final nails in Bob Melvin's demise.

Despite our dismal showing this year (bottom of the AL barrel), we still have Ichiro (saw him break the hitting record earlier this month) and Edgar, who as part of his retirement package, now has a street named after him, and the AL DH title is now called the "Edgar Martinez AL Designated Hitter of the Year". Both these guys are salt of the earth, and not arrogant the way ARod became as he became more famous.

Miulang

Comment

I have a soft spot for the Sox. I really don't follow baseball but whenever the Sox are doing well, I'm cheering for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    We saw ARod mature into the player he has become while he played here with the Mariners and were mightily disappointed when he went to the Yankees for the bucks. He abandoned his fans here and everytime they play us now and ARod comes to bat, he gets a pretty hearty round of boos from the fans. Now the Yankees also have John Olerud, also one of our local favorites. This trade may have been one of the final nails in Bob Melvin's demise.
                    Actually I do recall A-Rod signed a large free agent deal with the Texas Rangersafter the 2000 season. He spent three individually productive years with the Rangers, while the Rangers as a team stunk. Then before this season he was nearly traded to the Red Sox. But the Players union blocked the trade. He ultimately ended up with Yankees.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Enjoyed seeing Rodriguez sulk off after watching the BoSox celebrate on the field.

George needed to spend that money on starting pitching rather than another infielder.

Comment

It's their year...Well deserved
                        La'akea

Comment

I love my idiots (that's what they call themselves)!
                          I was one block away from Fenway at a job interview the year that the Bosox lost the AL playoff series to the Yankees because of a homerun. Go Sox nation!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            I love my idiots (that's what they call themselves)!
                            I was one block away from Fenway at a job interview the year that the Bosox lost the AL playoff series to the Yankees because of a homerun. Go Sox nation!

Miulang
                            That's not specific enough. Was it 1978, with Bucky Dent? Or 2003, with Aaron Boone? Or...

It's quite a history between those two teams.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                              That's not specific enough. Was it 1978, with Bucky Dent? Or 2003, with Aaron Boone? Or...

It's quite a history between those two teams.
                              'Twas 1978. I was also in Beantown in 1967 or 1968 when the Sox went to the AL playoffs. That was the "Impossible Dream" team, with Freddie Lynn, Carl Yazstremski, Pudge Fisk...man, there was a near-riot in Kenmore Square when that happened.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X