Click Off: The Ultimate TV Remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click Off: The Ultimate TV Remote

Tech heads and gadget freaks are abuzz this week over TV-B-Gone, a "universal remote controller" with only one button, and only one purpose: to turn televisions off.

While it's been bouncing around for a while, the firestorm didn't start until Wired News wrote about it yesterday. The Slashdot folks went bonkers. Now the debate is spreading fast. Not surprisingly, the TV-B-Gone site itself is gone quite a bit, overwhelmed with the traffic.

So. Is it just a goofy gadget for mostly harmless pranking, a social statement against the ills of a TV-saturated culture (like the inventor says), or (like laser pointers in movie theaters) yet another way for people to be annoying?

Turning off Oprah in an unattended laundromat is one thing. Turning off all TVs in a sports bar during game seven? You better run for your life, pal.

Re: Click Off: The Ultimate TV Remote

Well if I owned a sports bar or anyplace where the TV should be on, the simple solution is to put dark colored tape over the infrared sensor that is in front of the TV. Of course that disables the TV-B-Gone remote as well as your own. Then you have to turn on and tune the TV the old fashioned way... get up to it and do it manually.

Sports bar owners better be aware of this. No one wants angry fans tearing a place up because someone turned off the TV during the playoffs!
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I now know what I want for my xmas present.

I want to try and turn off all of the TVs at Circuit City or Sears with that thing. That sounds like fun: stand away from the TVs and reach into your pocket and turn off all of the TVs, and watch the store employees scramble to turn them back on.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

This has gotta stop because it'll spread to a "National Log Off" as well for obese computer users.

What's wrong with the remote control? I mean as a certified couch potato if I can't find the remote, the tv stays off anyway. I don't even know where the power button is on my 36-inch Panasonic TV. If I'm done reading the Advertiser (because SB won't deliver to Kea'au), and the batteries in my remote are too weak to send an IR signal to the TV set, I simply read the rest of the Advertiser I skipped until one of my kids has the common sense to walk over to the TV and turn it on, changing channels to the cartoon network. I think I know every episode of Ed Edd And Eddy.

Maybe they should make a remote control that gets it's rechargable batteries juiced up by slamming it into a charging slot in a stationary bicycle. The batteries last only one day so everday you come home from work you have to get on that bike for 20-minutes to charge up that remote control before you can watch tv.

Or better yet, a stationary bicycle powered TV set with a built in remote control in the handlebar! You read it first on this board!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X