Super Size Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Size Me

No, I haven't seen it yet. What I want to know is, is any theater in Hawaii going to be showing Super Size Me? The buzz on this documentary sounds hilarious, gross, and deadly serious all at once - it's like a combination of Roger and Me and Jackass.

Re: Super Size Me

I just heard an interview with director Morgan Spurlock on NPR not ten minutes ago. The buzz has been around for a while, and the comparisons to Michael Moore - for better or worse - are impossible to avoid.

Frankly, I don't think I'd be interested in seeing it, but I suppose I'm glad someone did it. For me, I wouldn't need a documentary or even a scientific study to tell me that eating at McDonald's three times a day for a month would make me incredibly sick. Hell, sometimes one meal at McDonald's makes me a little ill. But, there's assuming something, and there's knowing something, and thanks to Spurlock, now we know.

Didn't McDonald's announce that it would be discontinuing its "super size" recently?

Comment

Tuesday's (June 8) Star-Bulletin says that it opens this Friday. It didn't say where but I'm guessing that it might be at the Varisty.

Comment

Yep, opens at the Varsity on Friday, first show of the day at 12:45.

Comment

Anyone see it?

I'm not entirely surprised and somewhat tickled to see that there's a rebuttal film in the works: Debunk the Junk. Eat all your meals at McDonald's and lose weight?

Corporate responsibility vs. personal choice. It's never as clear cut as you think.

Comment

It's easy for him to say other people shouldn't eat at McD's. He is either affluent or extremely lucky(with rent control) since he and his girlfriend have their own apartment in Manhattan and don't have to share. Plus, his girlfriend is - get this - a *vegan chef*. So I'm guessing he never has to come home starving after a long day of work and fighting people on the subway to a kitchen which may or may not be in use by roommates and cook his own nice, organic healthy meals from scratch. Try living in a semi-ghetto neighborhood where the only fast, dependable meal option at certain hours may be McD's. In some shared living situations people don't even have a kitchen. Period. So it's easy for him to be smug.

Comment

It's no longer playing at the Varisty.

Comment

Working...
              X