X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antonio Taguba: From Hawaii to the History Books

Leilehua grad wrote Iraq prison abuse report
    Honolulu Advertiser, May 4, 2004

As the fallout from the Iraqi prisoner abuse scandal grows louder by the day, with calls for Donald Rumsfeld's ouster heard from several corners and with George W. Bush in full damage control mode (giving interviews to Arabic journalists that he'd never grant to domestic media, and finally apologizing on behalf of the country), the role played by one of our own grows more impressive.

Perhaps not surprisingly, a simple report, a basic document, helped ignite one of the biggest stories of the Iraq War: The Tabuga Report. (Reader discretion is advised.) Its author, Maj. Gen. Antonio M. Taguba, is a 1968 graduate of Leilehua High School, and the second Filipino-American general in the history of the Army.

Tabuga's role is not a happy one. The report was clearly not an easy one to write. But his work here is extremely important, a job that needed to be done, and I salute him.

I'm not sure what's left to be said about Tabuga, unless someone here knows them or has further thoughts on his contribution to what will be a difficult chapter of our military's history. But I welcome them. If you want to comment on the scandal itself, on Rumsfeld or Bush, that might best be done in The American Asylum.

Re: Antonio Taguba: From Hawaii to the History Books

There's a most excellent profile of Taguba in Tuesday's New York Times:

Head of Inquiry on Iraq Abuses Now in Spotlight
    New York Times, May 11, 2004 (Registration)
    As the son of a survivor of a Japanese prison camp whose military service went all but unrecognized for decades, Maj. Gen. Antonio M. Taguba learned early lessons about right and wrong. The unflinching report on abuses at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq that General Taguba completed in March, people who know him say, was shaped by that strong moral compass and by his vision of the Army as a noble calling.

Comment

Re: Antonio Taguba: From Hawaii to the History Books

I admire his courage and honesty he showed when facing the panel. From a person who came from a family who was held prisoner in a war of the world makes me admire him even more. My fathers brother was held and later killed during WWII in the Phillipines. He was born in Hawaii but went there to visit his grandparents and got caught up in the war before the USA got involved. He got killed when my dad was only 5 years old.

Comment

Working...
      X