Agritourism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agritourism?

This would be a great way to save what little agricultural land is left in the 'aina, and it would allow locals and tourists to see where and how things are grown there.

I know I enjoyed a little tour we took of the Purdy Macadamia Nut Farm on Moloka'i last month. The owner was the one who did the short tour, and he had a little gift shop and we did buy some stuff from him.

Guava Kai on Kaua'i is also a great place to visit, as is the Kauai Coffee Company...love those free samples!

We have tons of wineries up here, and those are wonderful places to visit too.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz03p.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Agritourism?

I personally like the term "ecotourism" vs Agritourism as I figure they mean the same thing ?
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
      I personally like the term "ecotourism" vs Agritourism as I figure they mean the same thing ?
      Not really the same thing. Ecotourism is when you do things like go see the rainforests in Costa Rica, go swimming with the gray whales in Baja California, go see the turtles in the Galapagos Islands, or go visit the Inca ruins in Chichen Itzen.

Agritourism is when you allow visitors to see your farm and your explain what you do on that farm. For instance, there's a lavender farm in Kula that welcomes visitors, or the Laughing Goat Dairy in Kula which allows people to interact with the goats. There's the Purdy Macadamia Nut Farm on Moloka'i, and there are taro farms on Moloka'i and Maui that show people how taro is raised. Farmers can earn some extra money by selling their products right onsite (some might even charge a small admission fee).

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Another article in the Advertiserabout farms that are embracing agritourism in Hawai'i. The article cautions that any farmers thinking about increasing revenues by allowing visitors should plan carefully and above all, must like talking to people and answering the same questions over and over and over. I like visiting working farms and seeing how things are grown and sent to market. And I generally buy stuff while I'm there, so I know it could be a lucrative sideline for farmers.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz03p.html

Miulang

Comment

Working...
        X