Favorite Hawaiian and Local Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Hawaiian and Local Books

Discuss Hawaiian and local literature here.

Re: Favorite Hawaiian and Local Books

Resuscitate this thread.

Here's a quote from a Carl Hiassen foreword to a re-issue of one of John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee books:

Standard McGee commentary drips citric acid:

"Now, of course, having failed in every attempt to subdue the Glades by frontal attack, we are slowly killing it off by tapping the River of Grass. In the questionable name of progress, the state in its vast wisdom lets every two-bit developer divert the flow into drag-lined canals that give him 'waterfront' lots to sell..."

MacDonald wrote those words thirty years ago, long before most politicians knew or cared what an environmentalist was, or gave any thought to "saving" the Everglades, which is now a standard campaign anthem. More remarkably, MacDonald fit the splendid little diatribe into the mouth of a boat-bum private eye, and let him deliver it in the pages of a crime novel!
    Hiassen himself writes satirical novels about Florida and its denizens.

My question is: Are there any Hawai'i'-based authors who write fiction which addresses the rapid growth and accompanying sleaze of this place we live? For non-fiction, Gavan Daws' Land and Power is probably the go-to book, but I've never heard of fiction which covers the topic. Seems to me there's plenty of material.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Linkmeister; February 20, 2005, 09:07 AM.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

No fiction--in book form--that I know of that attempts to capture and/or satirize the zeitgeist of modern Hawaii. There ism however, Don Chapman's serial in the Star-Bulletin, "My Kind of Town." I really liked the storyline about Lily, the cosmetics businesswoman. And now the story's focus has shifted to Osama bin Laden's part-Filipino niece Fatima.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister

My question is: Are there any Hawai'i'-based authors who write fiction which addresses the rapid growth and accompanying sleaze of this place we live? For non-fiction, Gavan Daws' Land and Power is probably the go-to book, but I've never heard of fiction which covers the topic. Seems to me there's plenty of material.

Any thoughts?
        Chris McKinney write novels about the lower rungs of the social ladder in Hawaii. He doesn't touch upon the rapid growth in Hawaii so much as the sleaze. However, when you read his work you do get a good idea of the hell that is part and parcel of this "Paradise" in which we live.

He has three books out so far: The Tattoo, Queen of Tears, and Bolohead Row.

Check 'em out!
        The inability to hear is a nuisance; The inability to communicate a tragedy. Hear my hands!

Comment

A couple of old friends and former colleagues of mine just published Poi Cats. I've always been a fan of Jon Murakami's art, and Gen Suzuki's (formerly Gen Ancog) humor is one of a kind, so I can't wait to get my own copy. It's not high literature, but it's definitely local.

Comment

I dont know if this falls into this category but Michener's Hawaii is my all-time favourite
            There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

"The Red Wind" by Ian MacMillan. A great story about the lost art of canoe building in Hawaii. The library has several copies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jemmie211
                Chris McKinney write novels about the lower rungs of the social ladder in Hawaii. He doesn't touch upon the rapid growth in Hawaii so much as the sleaze. However, when you read his work you do get a good idea of the hell that is part and parcel of this "Paradise" in which we live.

Check 'em out!
                The Tattoo is hard to find here in Edmonton-Canada, if anyone can give me a source I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
                There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

Wild Meat and the Bully Burgers by Lois Yamanaka...LOL reading about life in Hilo.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by hkplayer
                    The Tattoo is hard to find here in Edmonton-Canada, if anyone can give me a source I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
                    Try Half.com. I'm pretty sure they'll ship to Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Jemmie211

Check 'em out!
                      I loved reading Bolohead Row.. and I also have The Tattoo to read later.

I'm also interested in picking up Queen of Tears as it follows a Korean family's immigration to Hawaii.. (and I'm in Korea)..

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                        Wild Meat and the Bully Burgers by Lois Yamanaka...LOL reading about life in Hilo.
                        She has a couple of them.. I picked up one by her I'm about to read when I get the time. It also takes place in Hilo.. its called something like "HARRY... ??? " but can't recall exactly the title.

Comment

"Heads by Harry".

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            Resuscitate this thread.

Here's a quote from a Carl Hiassen foreword to a re-issue of one of John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee books:

Hiassen himself writes satirical novels about Florida and its denizens.

Any thoughts?

There is, in fact, at least one book out there which is set in Hawai'i and whose author has been repeatedly compared to Hiassen:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...983935-9495828

DISCLAIMER: I hated it. But if $6.99 is disposable change to you....

aloha, Pua'i

pax

Comment

Originally posted by hkplayer
                              Amazon: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...516945-9642462

Comment

Working...
                              X