Costco v. Sam's Club in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costco v. Sam's Club in Hawaii

With the opening of the combination Wal-Mart and Sam's Club at the Keeaumoku Superblock, the Honolulu Advertiser has a good head-to-head match up when it comes to island shoppers and the "membership warehouse club" scene:
    Today, analysts say Costco is generally perceived as having more fresh foods, more upscale items. They say Costco also does a better job of selling impulse merchandise like books, CDs and trampolines. Sam's has tried to position itself as the warehouse focused on serving small-business owners, though analysts said Costco still has more business members, who tend to shop more frequently and spend more than non-business members.
    I've yet to venture inside a Sam's Club, though I'm certainly curious. I'm not so much "brand loyal" as I am sensitive to value for the price, and if either store can help me get my family's staples for significant savings over other supermarkets and department stores, they'll get my business.

Of course, "membership" means a fee, so I don't know if maintaining memberships at both stores make sense. And with my family intimately familiar with Costco's offerings and store layouts, I'm part of the reason Costco currently has the leg up on the competition.

I'm curious to hear, especially from Sam's Club members or someone who shops both stores, what others see as each store's strengths.

Re: Costco v. Sam's Club in Hawaii

I have only been a Sam's Club member for a week now, a Costco member for just over 2 years.

For me I am kind of fortunate that I have a Sam's Club close to my home and a Costco close to where I work. Also the timing of the memberships are almost 5 to 6 months apart so I don't have to deal with the memeberships fee in one month. What I have noticed so far between the two stores which by the way is the Sam's Club at Keeaumoku and the Costco at Iwilei:

Batteries: If you need AA batteries, Costco's Kirkland alkaline brand sells 48 batteries for around $11. They do sell Duracell at a slightly higher rate and offer other sizes like AAA, AA, C, D and 9 volt, I can't remember the price or the amount of batteries in the pack (other than the AAA came in a pack of 24). Sam's Club sells Engerizer brand batteries, I think the AA batteries was $11 for a pack of 32.

DVDs: Right now I think Costco has the better selection for the new stuff that comes out, but I think in a few weeks Sam's Club should get their act together on this. I didn't compare prices yet between the two but my last 3 DVD purchases, 1 was from Costco, the other 2 was from Wal-Mart.

Food court: Sam's Club has a wider selection of food, including a chicken plate lunch for under $6 that includes a big slab of chicken, 3 scoops rice and a scoop of mac salad. The drawback is that you need to enter Sam's Club to access the food court which they call it Sam's Cafe (there is a sign on the 1st floor of the complex with the menu).

Computers: I haven't brought a computer from either of them but both sell Compaq and HP computers, Costco sells eMachines brand from time to time but I have yet to see an eMachine at Sam's Club. At least at the Sam's Club there is a wider selection of computers.

Checkout: Sam's Club has a number above each station and it also says if it's open or closed but I think the Sam's club has less checkout stands than Costco.

So far I only brought a box of Granola bars from Sam's Club and some food from the cafe. Since I take the bus, I guess I will be using Sam's Club for the big stuff I need to buy.

Comment

I used to have memberships at both warehouses but a bad experience with Sam's left a bad taste in my mouth about the company. I feel that both are pretty much the same as far as pricing goes, Costco however is by far better with their customer service and return policy and general cleanliness. Sam's Club doesnt seem to place a priorty on customer relationships as Costco does. Just my $.02

Comment

I try and avoid Sam's Club as much as possible since its owned by Walmart and I dont like to buy anything there either unless I have to.

Costco is fine, no complaints except that my wife shops there too much.

KalihiBoy

Comment

I didn't check out the price at Costco for this item but Sam's Club was selling Kraft Foods American Cheese Slices for 72 slices for just over $6. Considering that Daiei sells the 16 slice version for around $3, this was a very good price.

Comment

The personal membership fee is higher at Costco than Sam's Club at least by $10.

Comment

Personally, I like Costco if only for the pizza and hot dogs(and this is a current New Yorker speaking...). You can't get much better, especially for the price!

Comment

IMO, Sam's Club is closer to our home (and my school), but when we go to Costco, we always fill up at their pumps. But since location is a main factor, we shop at Sam's club more often.

I don't know if Costco has one, but do they have like a business card for business owners? (like what Sam's Club has)
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                  I don't know if Costco has one, but do they have like a business card for business owners? (like what Sam's Club has)
                  affirmative

Comment

We used to have both but now we only keep the Sam's Club. I'm pretty much indifferent since I'm there just to push the cart anyway . It's only me and my wife so it's not like we have to stock up on stuff (maybe ketchup for me though).

I hear ya on the Costco hotdog meal. I still go there just for that sometimes.

Comment

We currently don't have a sam's in this part of utah. but we have 2 walmart's. We call Costco the "hundred dollah store" because you go inside to buy a pack of gum and end up spending hundred dollahs. My FIL bought his dishwasher from Costco, and it was cheaper than sears, and they're the only place in town I can get the ribs cut the right way to make kalbi ribs. Everybody else cuts it like rib racks. So I like Costco. the quality of the food seems better. Except the king crab legs. Walmart's is better.

Comment

I cannot say which is better because both have different appeals. Both have different things the other doesn't carry. But da rotisserie chicken at costco nimitz to me is better den sam's club keeaumoku! lol hmmmm or was it da price!? lol i grind both!! yum!!
                        Reggie aka pinakboy
                        Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                        Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                        Recipe Tube TV!
                        Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Giving my current situation I think for me to keep both memberships gives me a lot of flexibilty.

Comment

Try Tamura's Market in Wahiawa - they are cheaper than both Costco and Sam's Club on most basic groceries except maybe milk.

Comment

i lovem both. plenty stuff to buy depends on da occasion and da item!
                              Reggie aka pinakboy
                              Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                              Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                              Recipe Tube TV!
                              Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Working...
                              X