Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to know about car ownership

Hi!

Although I have lived in Hawai`i before, I never owned a car. This time I will be buying one. What do I need to take care of at the time I take possession? I know there is insurance and registration, but what else? If things work out, I'll be buying a used car from a friend of a friend. I hate to sound so clueless, but I am!

Re: What do I need to know about car ownership

The "Title," the actual document that proves you own the car. In fact, depending on how well you know the seller, you might want to obtain a new, duplicate title from the city to be sure that (1.) the seller owns the car you're buying, else you can't technically buy it from him/her, and (2.) it's not a "salvage" -- i.e., it's not a car that was actually dumped due to serious problems or damage (usually flooding).

A common scam is selling a "salvage" car with an old copy of the title. It's sad to overhear folks at the Satellite City Hall discovering for the first time that the nice Honda they bought for $8,900 is actually worth maybe a thousand bucks... and will probably only run for another thousand miles.

More generally, especially if you know the seller well, I'd arrange for a deposit and a week-long "test drive." First, to be sure you're comfortable with the car, but secondly, to be absolutely sure you need and want to drive a car here. Especially if you're relocating to Honolulu, a lot of times folks realize a car's not worth the trouble.

Anything else to know? Um... gas is expensive! So is insurance -- and considering the number of people flying around without insurance (or driver's licenses, for that matter), you might want to spring for more than the legal minimum coverage.

Comment

Thanks for your response pzarquon!

I will definitely do a title search for anything I am considering buying. I am on the Big Island though, so I definitely need a car. I lived here before without wheels and let me tell ya, it's not something I'd recommend! I agree that on O`ahu it's a different story and one can get around on the bus, although a car does come in handy at times.

It looks like I will be buying from someone I don't know. There is someone I'm acquainted with who is selling a car, but she wants too much for it and is holding firm in her price. What can you do? I need to find a car soon though. I'm running out of time! Plus a long term rental that won't take half my pay each month. Know of anyone looking for a good tenant on the Big Island?

Comment

Thanks for your response pzarquon!

I will definitely do a title search for anything I am considering buying. I am on the Big Island though, so I definitely need a car. I lived here before without wheels and let me tell ya, it's not something I'd recommend! I agree that on O`ahu it's a different story and one can get around on the bus, although a car does come in handy at times.

It looks like I will be buying from someone I don't know. There is someone I'm acquainted with who is selling a car, but she wants too much for it and is holding firm in her price. What can you do? I need to find a car soon though. I'm running out of time! Plus a long term rental that won't take half my pay each month. Know of anyone looking for a good tenant on the Big Island?

Comment

Working...
        X