Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone knows what happened this afternoon/evening on the H1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone knows what happened this afternoon/evening on the H1?

I was taking my usual Route A bus home from school (I boarded around 3:45pm) but I had to transfer at the Kalihi Transit because they were having problems with the bus. 15 minutes later (around 4:30pm) another route A bus heading to Waipahu comes and I board it. A few minutes later, we hit a major traffic jam on the H1 near the Airport. We didn't pass by the airport until 30 minutes later, and the delays continued, until I reached home 10 minutes ago (about 6:35pm).

I know that Hawaii people don't know how to drive when its raining, but a 2 hour delay?

Anyone knows what happened on the roads today? The news websites didn't show anything.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Anyone knows what happened this afternoon/evening on the H1?

Originally posted by adri1456
    I was taking my usual Route A bus home from school (I boarded around 3:45pm) but I had to transfer at the Kalihi Transit because they were having problems with the bus. 15 minutes later (around 4:30pm) another route A bus heading to Waipahu comes and I board it. A few minutes later, we hit a major traffic jam on the H1 near the Airport. We didn't pass by the airport until 30 minutes later, and the delays continued, until I reached home 10 minutes ago (about 6:35pm).

I know that Hawaii people don't know how to drive when its raining, but a 2 hour delay?

Anyone knows what happened on the roads today? The news websites didn't show anything.

Thats cute what you said about Hawaii people and driving in rain considering it does it there every day (or it did when i lived there 23 years ago anyway). I will be there again in 5 days and I cant wait to see that daily shower!! I intend to pull over if i am driving and just watch it in awe. Call me crazy.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
      Thats cute what you said about Hawaii people and driving in rain considering it does it there every day (or it did when i lived there 23 years ago anyway). I will be there again in 5 days and I cant wait to see that daily shower!! I intend to pull over if i am driving and just watch it in awe. Call me crazy.
      Its not a daily shower. It was pouring cats and dogs, with road side flooding.

BTW, I got splashed today at a bus stop infront of Heald College along Kapiolani. Some young fellow (I assume he's a teen because he drove one of those import racing cars) speed down the street and he went about 2 inches against the sidewalk and splashed me. A water wall of about 5 feet (around my height) reached the bus stop bench, and splashed the other people waiting for a bus. I, of course, got the wettest.

Comment

Speaking of those import cars, I have a question. I usually can tell a racer because he's got a honking big custom muffler and tailpipe on his car. But paradoxically, having a bigger muffler seems to make these guys' cars louder. Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          Speaking of those import cars, I have a question. I usually can tell a racer because he's got a honking big custom muffler and tailpipe on his car. But paradoxically, having a bigger muffler seems to make these guys' cars louder. Why is that?
          Not bigger muffler to my knowledge so much as whats called cherry bomb or glass pipes but i could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
            Its not a daily shower. It was pouring cats and dogs, with road side flooding.

BTW, I got splashed today at a bus stop infront of Heald College along Kapiolani. Some young fellow (I assume he's a teen because he drove one of those import racing cars) speed down the street and he went about 2 inches against the sidewalk and splashed me. A water wall of about 5 feet (around my height) reached the bus stop bench, and splashed the other people waiting for a bus. I, of course, got the wettest.

I wasnt aiming to be a wise ass, i just remember 23 years ago, it was just a shower, everyday at almost the same time for 10-20 minutes i guess and then it was over.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
              I wasnt aiming to be a wise ass, i just remember 23 years ago, it was just a shower, everyday at almost the same time for 10-20 minutes i guess and then it was over.
              Its okay.

But when the rain comes down like this, it seems like we're underwater, and we don't know how to go places.

Comment

When I was living in Idaho, I was driving one late afternoon when suddenly my car was engulfed in Heaven! Lot's of fog it seems, pea soup as others muttered in my car.

I couldn't even see the hood of my car as other more experienced motorists zoomed past me on the interstate like driving blind was nothing to them. After several hours of long distance drivin in this pea soup I too started driving about 50-mph following the dim glow of the car's tail lights in front of me and never thought too much about it.

So coming back to Hawaii and driving in a moderate rainstorm was like a drive thru the park. Mainland drivers are used to driving in really thick fog (Waimea on the Big Island is amateur stuff compared to the midwest), black ice, and snow 10-inches deep! But Hawaii motorists think a wet road is like black ice and slow down immensly.

Now for the post regarding getting splashed in front of Heald college, the good part is that the air dam in the front of that modified import was probably damaged to the point of replacement as we all know that bus stop next to KFC on Kapiolani BLVD is the pits and full of it as well, that car had to have bottomed out riding that close to the curb. Even if the potholes didn't do any damage, the force of water pressure on his thin and flimsy plastic air dam would have destroyed it.

When I used to park on Kona street behind The Gas Company we used to call it the Kona Street lagoon. Well certain cars would drive thru that stretch like a speed boat drenching all of our cars with muddy water. I happen to be standing next to my car just getting out when that asshole soaked me and my BMW. The next day (with the lagoon still about 6-inches deep) I got out of my car a bit more cautiously and could hear that broke dick coming down Kona street from Pensacola revving his motor as he splashed on down the road. I looked around for a quick exit and found that I was gonna get wet again and didn't have enough time to jump back in my car.

One of our secretaries was also trapped and she was dressed really nice that day. I figured I'll fight back and picked up a softball-sized rock and began tossing it up in the air to let that jerk know that this victim fights back. He slowed down to the point of almost crawling past me and the secretary. She quickly jotted down his license plate as he crept by.

He saw her taking his license plate number down and it seems after that he never bothered us again. I tell you I wasn't going to hesitate tossing that rock in front of his car at windshield height if he roared by but he slowed down and I let him live.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X