Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you attend your (HI) High school reunion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you attend your (HI) High school reunion?

In Hawaii, people identify so much with the high school you graduated from. How natural and common to ask someone you meet for the first time,"What high school you grad?" It gives substance to the meaning that Hawaii is such a small place. We can connect with others, by asking what high school they graduated from and what year.Example, "Oh you know my neighbor's aunty's second cousin, Albert Souza??"
    Yet, I have observed that although many connect with their high school in this way, not too many people, especially those of my generation(who graduated in the 1980's and beyond) attend their high school reunions. I am speaking specifically, of those who continue to remain living in this state.
    Reasons why people do not attend, vary with the individual. For me, I did not attend the 10 (ten) year reunion, because of a family crisis that just occured. I had planned to attend the 20th (twentieth), even helped with some of the planning for it. Yet, again family and personal situations arose.
    What do you think? Did you attend your (HI) high school reunion? Do people want to or care to??

Re: Did you attend your (HI) High school reunion?

Most people want to go but are at the same time scared cause of vanity. I didn't go to mine just cause I was too busy. Maybe sometime I'd go.. in 25 years or something.

Comment

I haven't attended any of my high school reunions.

For people in many other places, everybody flees the hometown after high school, so reunions are often the only chance you'll get to see your former classmates. But because here in Hawai'i most of my classmates are still around, that reason goes out the window. Just walking downtown, I run into former classmates all the time.

And honestly, the friends who I wanted to keep in touch with, I kept in touch with. As for everyone else, I'd be mildly interested to find out what some of them are up to, but I'm not so interested as to be willing to put up with the presence of others I'd rather never see again.

Comment

I went to my 10th and my 20th. Both were remarkably different. The 10th was one I think all should attend as it represents a milestone of achievement or a sobering reflection of what you didn't do after high school. I saw classmates who climbed the ranks quickly to become CEO's and leaders in our community. I also saw those "Most likely to succeed" not! The most popular became not so popular anymore, the wall flowers became Wow flowers, and the nerds became our bosses. And the mokes just didn't attend.

Friendships were rekindled and some even turned into romance despite their marital status. Hatchets were buried at the same time salt was rubbed in old wounds thought healed. It was an amazing night of recollection for me and one of realization with at least one of the popular girls saying, "why didn't you ever ask me out?" with the reply, "I never thought I had the chance so why bother". Oh life could have been so different if I only knew back then.

On the 20th, those rekindled friendships turned into new-found marriages turning the previous ones into divorce. We were now parents and some of us became the wiser while some just got cocky. Suddenly the cuties became obese, and the wall flowers turned swans turned bitch. The guys all felt great despite ill-feelings from years past including high school times. We simply got over it and now we networked our strengths teaming up for golf or racquetball at the club, establishing those who made their disciplines in the medical field as our internists.

I don't know about the girls but it didn't look good for them as looks began to fade as we approached our 40's back then. The guys simply became distinguished.

So the 25th came and went, and nobody planned anything as suggested at the 20th. The 30th? Who knows and really at this point, who cares. Now the 50th will be something to consider just knowing who's still surviving!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

On the afternoon of my 25th Anniversary FHS reunion @ Dole Ballrooms (back in October 2001), I ' chickened' out as I was driving to the reunion.

I felt bad, really bad about doing it and should have gone :-((

Comment

I didn't attend my 25th reunion in 2002 cuz I was sick. I hope to be able to attend the 30th reunion (if there is one) in 2007!
            Lovena

Comment

I might attend my 20th next June (gives me one excuse fo' go home!) but things can change. Gotta take off 30 lbs but...

Comment

Sheesh. I just graduated last year, and you guys are talking about your reunions?

With the way things are going, I don't think all of my classmates will be around for the reunion (10 of them are in prisons already)
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
                  I might attend my 20th next June (gives me one excuse fo' go home!) but things can change. Gotta take off 30 lbs but...

You should be so lucky! I could lose about 60 of those wisdom pounds I've gained since High School.

Comment

I went to my 10th High School reunion this last summer.
                    It was, how can I say it a rather interesting experience.
                    There was 60 or so people out of our class of 300 that
                    showed up.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

No one has set up a tenth-anniversary reunion for my high school (I'm class of '94), so I haven't attended any reunion yet.

Comment

Once I went with my mother to her reunion and it was very crazy. She came from one of those exclusive girls schools. All of them have held their looks really well. My mom said they all seem more or less the same, the wild ones remain wild. The sweet nice ones have gotten sweeter though less naive. The insecure ones have grown into their own and are doing much better.

It was the craziest reunion I've been to. I got to meet the children of my mom's classmates. We found one thing in common - we are more conservative in certain ways compared to some of our mothers.

Comment

I went with an ex-girlfriend to her 10th several (many several) years ago. I asked her some background questions before attending and told her not to introduce me once we got past the registration desk.

Once inside I started saying to anyone asking who I was, "Eh howzit you remember me?" You'd be surprized at the number of people there who said "yes" and agreed with the many things we did in High School! Funny though I've never been to Konawaena High School on the Big Island.

Comment

Reunited...and it felt pretty good.

My wife and I graduated in 83. I graduated on the mainland and she at Waiakea High in Hilo. I didn't go my 20th reunion, but helped plan hers. The cool thing was the fact that her class "adopted" me and I had a great time. (And the "radio guy" thing didn't hurt..)

I've lived here since 1985, so I felt like I had "history" with a lot of her classmates who we've always socialized with. I've always wondered if it would be the same way if the situation were reversed. Would my high school been as kind as hers? Honestly, I doubt it.

Comment

I tell you dem radio guys really get da perks and da chicks!

Comment

Working...
                              X