Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone knows how can I get a job at my local library?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone knows how can I get a job at my local library?

I just came from the Waipahu Public Library, where one of their computers aren't in use because of a broken floppy drive.

I know that a computer can be used w/ a broken floppy drive, but since they don't have it fixed (it was out for 2 weeks) I was wondering if I can offer my computer technician services and give back to that library (my Mom took me to that library when I was 8, and we know all of the librarians. I volunteered there for 3 summers and I learned a lot from there.) Since they did a lot of things for me, I was wondering if I can use my skills and somehow pay them back in doing computer related services.

I can just call them up, but I have tons of homework, and I'll ask one of the librarians personally tomorrow after school.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Anyone knows how can I get a job at my local library?

I think that would be a wonderful thing for you to do, Adrian. The state library system is always strapped for cash, and if you tell them you want to kokua for free, I bet they take you up on it! At least you're trying to "give back" even if they tell you no. Not too many people your age think like you do. Again, please give your Mom a beeeeg hug from me for raising such a thoughtful son!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Adri, being state offices, the libraries probably have strict budget rules. But perhaps you could offer your services to them through the Friends of the Library of Hawai'i? Maybe you could give the Friends a call.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Adri, being state offices, the libraries probably have strict budget rules. But perhaps you could offer your services to them through the Friends of the Library of Hawai'i? Maybe you could give the Friends a call.
        But since they're so kind to me, I'll try too see if I can revive one of my floppy drives and replace it with the broken one, or buy a new one for them (compUSA is a few minutes away from there anyway).

And thanks Miulang. I try to help people even if I'm busy. I guess not serving the community for a while builds up and gives you good ideas.

EDIT: I tried to email the executive director, but it looks like her inbox isn't either accepting emails, or that's the wrong address (I tried the linked, and the one on the website.)
        Last edited by adrian; November 9, 2004, 04:03 PM.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

The state system is looking for people. Granted, that story makes it look like they're looking for professionals, but they might fall on your neck if you offered to help with computers. On the other hand, the DOE Info Systems people might cut your throat if that's their responsibility.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
          X