Downtown Dim Sum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downtown Dim Sum

Got a craving today. Any recommendations? Where do you go for the good stuff? And where do you go for the quick and cheap stuff? What dishes do you like the best?

Re: Downtown Dim Sum

And where to avoid if you're not fluent in Chinese and don't want to be dissed as a stupid gwailo?

Finally, now that the election is over maybe we can get back to talking about the really important things in life.

Comment

I hope you get this in time, Zarquo:

There's this place called Mei Sum; I think it's at the corner of Smith and Pauahi. Unlike a lot of other places where you have to wait for something to come out on a cart and you don't know what it'll be, you can order dim sum right off the menu.

The potstickers are excellent--flavorful and fresh-tasting.
      But you really gotta go there for the taro gok. It's a deep-fried potato-croquette-kinda thing, but it's taro rather than potato, and it has a pork filling. Rather than breadcrumbs, it's fried in some kind of orange filamenty stuff. Sublime, I tellya. You might get two orders of it if you're eating with a few people.

There are other good things there, but these are the two I give my big recommendations on.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

you gotta be brave (or a fool) to eat whatcha don't know
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Got a craving today. Any recommendations? Where do you go for the good stuff? And where do you go for the quick and cheap stuff? What dishes do you like the best?
          McDonald's Dollar menu! It's quick and cheap. And when you're hungry...food is food.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It's not downtown, but Hee Hing on Kapahulu has a great dim sum selection. The jin dui is to die for; really crispy and fluffy, with a wonderful sesame seed coating. How do they get it to puff up like that, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
              It's not downtown, but Hee Hing on Kapahulu has a great dim sum selection. The jin dui is to die for; really crispy and fluffy, with a wonderful sesame seed coating. How do they get it to puff up like that, anyway?
              What they do is plop the ball of mochi flour into hot oil, and then they press the mochi against the side of the pan as it cooks. It really puffs up when you do this.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                I hope you get this in time, Zarquo:

There's this place called Mei Sum; I think it's at the corner of Smith and Pauahi. Unlike a lot of other places where you have to wait for something to come out on a cart and you don't know what it'll be, you can order dim sum right off the menu.

The potstickers are excellent--flavorful and fresh-tasting.
                But you really gotta go there for the taro gok. It's a deep-fried potato-croquette-kinda thing, but it's taro rather than potato, and it has a pork filling. Rather than breadcrumbs, it's fried in some kind of orange filamenty stuff. Sublime, I tellya. You might get two orders of it if you're eating with a few people.

There are other good things there, but these are the two I give my big recommendations on.
                Yep, this is my MAMA'S favorite place for DIM SUM, she always go there with Burton White or Robert Caz, her two hanai sons.Other places to go for good food in Chinatown is Ken Fong on Smith Street. Their steam Kumu is excellent. Mini Garden of couse for their roast duck and signiture noodles. I like their Roast Duck over Funn Noodles(dry)..also their house special fried rice. Don't go to Little Villiage cause too high prices. Their food is not all that great except for their prawns. Only reason why they are so busy is that they know how to utilize advertising. Other than that, lousy place to eat. You pay for the decor. Best and clean place to eat Vietnamese Pho is in the corner of Smith and Hotel,across from Mini Garden. Whatever you do, don't go eat at Maunakea Market Place!You never know how long the food has been sitting in ther warmers...I know several people who got sick. Filipino food, Mabuhay on River Street. Dalisay is good but the Drug Traffic there is right outside,not a safe place to park your car. Last, Glowing Dragon is also good. We like their Crab, Pork Ong Choi w/hum ha,and their Peking Duck with Plum Suce. Of, course if you're looking for an upper class place to eat in Chinatown theres always Dukes's Bistro and Indigo's. Any other place in Chinatown is not recommended for one reason or another that I know of. Eh, I'm an expert when it comes to Chinatown, I'm Auntie Lynn! At Mei Sum on the corner of Smith and Pauahi...you can see first hand how bad the drug activity is getting back. Although not on Hotel Street, it's now in the back street going ever so strong! So, front row seats to the wildest show on earth in Chinatown, Hawai'i, eating great dim sum watch the dim wits!
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                X