AT&T/Cingular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T/Cingular

Hey! I just noticed that my cellphone changed its display to read "AT&T/Cingular" instead of "AT&T Wireless". What gives? I know AT&T and Cingular merged earlier this year, but is something going to happen to my cell service?

Re: AT&T/Cingular

Ahhhh it happening!!!!! They're taking over the world!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

Okay maybe not. Well look at it this way Glen, maybe you can roll over your unused free minutes now!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The FCC okayed the merger, and they're begining their lives as one now.

Its too bad though, because tmobile will still be the best network in the islands.

Okay maybe not. Well look at it this way Glen, maybe you can roll over your unused free minutes now!
      LMAO!!!

That's the first time I heard that from the merger. Good one!

BTW, here's what it looks like (I don't have ATT/Cingular, a friend does)
      Last edited by adrian; November 12, 2004, 04:13 PM.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Hey! I just noticed that my cellphone changed its display to read "AT&T/Cingular" instead of "AT&T Wireless". What gives? I know AT&T and Cingular merged earlier this year, but is something going to happen to my cell service?

Yup, it's true. The merger was approved a few weeks ago. Supposedly, all AWS and Cingular customers are going to receive some literature about the change.

There is no native "Cingular" network in Hawaii. What you will be seeing is the rebranding of the AWS network to Cingular. The coverage will be the same, but I'd expect as an AWS customer, you'll have access to some of Cingular's plan benefits such as rollover minutes.
        Last edited by 808_m3; November 16, 2004, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
          The FCC okayed the merger, and they're begining their lives as one now.

Its too bad though, because tmobile will still be the best network in the islands.

LMAO!!!

That's the first time I heard that from the merger. Good one!
          Well, that might not be the last. Now that we have two large wireless companies with deep pockets, I'm sure they'll have resources to expand the network and offer compeititive call packages that would make it harder for the smaller wireless companies to match.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons why Cingular and AT&T Wireless merged... to be able to compete with Verizon Wireless.

Comment

well let's hope for some expansion cuz out here in Keaau where I live my cell phone's closest cell antennae is about 7-miles out and hiding behind some very tall trees so reception is marginal if at all.

That'll be interesting if this merger will allow AT&T users to roll over their unused free minutes. That would be great!

VERIZON CAN YOU HEAR US NOW!!! Better get some better plans, pricing and phone selection real soon!

Comment

Before I forget, for you tmobile users, tmobile is having a "talk and walk" campaign, that will let you switch (cancel your contract) without any fees (like the now cancelled "Hawaii Guarantee".

I'd sign up with ATT/Cingular, but I don't have a job, and it'll just be going a few bars down (IMO, tmobile has a better coverage on Oahu than the others, especially for GSM).

Comment

I just walked into the Kamehameha Shopping Center AT&T store today... completely remodeled in hideous ORANGE and rebranded Cingular (not unreminiscent of the blazing orange self-storage place!).

They seem to have nicer phones available, but very little info on pricing plans unless you want to sit in with a customer service rep. No thanks. I don't want to be "sold" anything.... just want info.

As a current AT&T customer, I'll just wait and see. I haven't heard much from them about the change yet. And my phone still says only AT&T Wireless.
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                  I just walked into the Kamehameha Shopping Center AT&T store today... completely remodeled in hideous ORANGE and rebranded Cingular (not unreminiscent of the blazing orange self-storage place!).

They seem to have nicer phones available, but very little info on pricing plans unless you want to sit in with a customer service rep. No thanks. I don't want to be "sold" anything.... just want info.

As a current AT&T customer, I'll just wait and see. I haven't heard much from them about the change yet. And my phone still says only AT&T Wireless.
                  Actually, the new colors are supposed to be orange and blue with a new catch phrase called, "Raising the Bar." The color choices represent the combination of the two companies and the "bar" slogan was actually from the AWS side.

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                    Actually, the new colors are supposed to be orange and blue with a new catch phrase called, "Raising the Bar." The color choices represent the combination of the two companies and the "bar" slogan was actually from the AWS side.
                    Sorry, didn't notice much blue. Just orange and white, like a re-frozen Creamsicle!
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

yeah but does it taste like one?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        yeah but does it taste like one?
                        LOL

I gotta walk into a store. But will they torture me to port over? (I have tmobile, and they might be agitated that my service is a bit better).

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                          LOL

I gotta walk into a store. But will they torture me to port over? (I have tmobile, and they might be agitated that my service is a bit better).
                          I doubt that they'll be agitated or think that your service is better.

They have a product/service they're trying to sell, and they know people will choose them if they like what they offer.

I personally have had coverage issues with AT&T's GSM service, but that's probably because I live out in Pearl City, whereas alot of my friends have no problems using AT&T in Honolulu, and they're quite happy with their service.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by hinokei
                            I doubt that they'll be agitated or think that your service is better.

They have a product/service they're trying to sell, and they know people will choose them if they like what they offer.

I personally have had coverage issues with AT&T's GSM service, but that's probably because I live out in Pearl City, whereas alot of my friends have no problems using AT&T in Honolulu, and they're quite happy with their service.

Just my 2 cents
                            What kind of phone do you have? Does the phone do both 850 and 1900 GSM?

Comment

IMHO...

I think that Cingular Companies have a very limited supply
                              of choices to choose from as far as their phones,
                              although I can definatley give them credit,
                              the only thing I like most is their "roll over minutes".
                              I went to their store in Wahiawa to pay my bill, well,
                              to my surprise, I endded getting Pissed off the more, because
                              their system is not set that way. I know that with AT & T wireless,
                              I could do it before. SIGH!. Regardless of the switch with cingular,
                              I think I will (maybe) still keep my original phone, their freebie phone
                              that I am able to change over, really SUCKS BIG TIME
                              & the other phones that I might like to transfer later, will cost me more!
                              I just got my new phone that I am finally happy with, & they go off &
                              change companies!. Personally you wont want to hear what I feel
                              & what I have to say about that & about them!.

BTW... the NOKIA phones that they have is really UGLY!,
                              & they need more & much better phones to choose from
                              as far as the freebie ones!.
                              Last edited by Serenity; November 27, 2004, 07:35 PM.
                              Aches & Pains
                              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Working...
                              X