Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a place in Hawaii where there's no internet access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a place in Hawaii where there's no internet access?

Someone on another forums that I post on, is asking if there's any means of communication (other than the internet) that he and a local person here can communicate by.

I offered to help by trying to find more information about this local person, and probably if she lives on Oahu, she can come to my house (or a library) and let those two talk to each other.

But I can't think of anywhere they don't have internet access (unless she's on Ni'ihau, or on some remote part of Molokai).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Is there a place in Hawaii where there's no internet access?

Can you elaborate when you mean "other than the internet"? Like telephone, write a letter and send via mail (don't forget the stamp) etc...

Or do you mean via computer but off of the internet? Like direct modem to modem communication? You can do a direct modem to modem hook up with Windows Hyper-Terminal using a telnet setup.

Go to: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Hyper Terminal. Then follow the setup procedure. One thing though the sending computer needs the telephone number to dial into (like dial up) to establish a telnet connection.

The result will be like a chat room but in a basic text window (like Notepad)
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      Can you elaborate when you mean "other than the internet"? Like telephone, write a letter and send via mail (don't forget the stamp) etc...

Or do you mean via computer but off of the internet? Like direct modem to modem communication? You can do a direct modem to modem hook up with Windows Hyper-Terminal using a telnet setup.

Go to: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Hyper Terminal. Then follow the setup procedure. One thing though the sending computer needs the telephone number to dial into (like dial up) to establish a telnet connection.

The result will be like a chat room but in a basic text window (like Notepad)
      He said that they want to communicate via PC camera, so I know that you can do the hyperterminal stuff, but what about being able to view the camera?
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
        He said that they want to communicate via PC camera, so I know that you can do the hyperterminal stuff, but what about being able to view the camera?
        PC camera? Are you talking about a webcam deal?

I figure as long as you have a telephone line, that's your pipe to the Internet. I suppose you could pick up one of those AO-Hell disk and get some free Internet access for a bit. Once on, you can sign up for Yahoo IM and enable the webcam features.

Comment

PC or Web cameras require broadband ISP's to get the signal across without much problems. A Telnet setup via phone lines won't do it and neither DSL for that matter...unless you direct your DSL or cable modem to search for a specific DNS server's IP address (the recipient's broadband modem's gateway IP address.

I don't know enough about that but I would imagine that you'd set up a dial up network with the remote computer. Once the Telnet setup is complete you use your DSL modem to transfer data. I don't know how to configure the DSL modem to recognize the Telnet's network though.

You couldn't do this with Cable because all network traffic would have to go thru Oceanic's DNS servers. But with a Telnet setup thru the phone lines the receiving computer becomes it's own server with an IP address.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
          X