Xmas parking at the malls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xmas parking at the malls

Next Friday, are you going to be one of the crazies who heads for the malls to kick off the Christmas shopping season? Be prepared for hours of searching for a parking space, huge crowds, testy people.

Or, shop online and via catalogs and save yourself from all the frustration and the cost of gas!

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03p.html

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Xmas parking at the malls

I used to go down to Ala Moana the day after Thanksgiving, not to shop, but simply to watch the madness. Lately, though, the entertainment isn't worth it.

The city requires retail stores to have at least 3.3 parking stalls per 1,000 square feet of store space... On the other hand, large retailers typically demand at least four stalls per 1,000 square feet of store space before agreeing to become a tenant at a shopping center... Of O'ahu's five largest regional shopping centers, parking ratios range from 4.6 to 5 stalls per 1,000 square feet of store space.

I'd love to know what the actual figures are for each complex.

In my unqualified estimation, Ala Moana is the only mall whose parking facilities barely keeps up with the crowds. (Well, and Windward Mall, but that's because no one's shopping there!) They might have more stalls in raw numbers, but in my book, Pearlridge beats out Kahala for worst-planned parking ever. I only go to that mall if I absolutely, positively have to. If there's ever a spot to witness some serious road (or lot) rage in action, it's there.
    Last edited by pzarquon; November 21, 2004, 01:15 PM.

Comment

That is why there's TheBus.

Just don't bring in 3-5 bags of presents and you'll fit perfectly.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Well, I gotta disagree a little. Pearlridge is basically my neighborhood mall, and while there are problems, if you go early or late you're ok for parking. I grant that since it's at the bottom of my hill I'm able to be more flexible about the times I go there than others.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I grew up on Kaonohi Street, so I do have an unreasonable affection for the place. I cringed at their Uptown/Downtown conversion when it happened, but actually kind of like it now (even though it means I "belong" Uptown, with all the uncool grown-ups).

Adding the parking structure at Ross/Sizzler's was a big help (it's where I go first these days), as is the fact that the JC Penny's space is out of commission (for now). But I still think the parking lots are too small for the foot traffic that mall invites. The Sears/Longs lot on the ground floor? Awful. The Circuit City lot? Even worse.

To be sure, Ala Moana has its bad days, especially when they close the new top deck mauka of Sears (for mysterious, possibly scary structural reasons). And Kahala Mall? Seniors have been known to sit and wait for "a good spot" for over an hour.

Comment

Working...
          X