Green Flash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Flash?

I just got back from Oahu last week and upon skimming thru those little Hawaii books, I saw something about a green flash that occurs after the sun hit the horizon. Anyone able to tell me what thats about??? Mahalo.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: Green Flash?

Originally posted by memorylane
    I just got back from Oahu last week and upon skimming thru those little Hawaii books, I saw something about a green flash that occurs after the sun hit the horizon. Anyone able to tell me what thats about??? Mahalo.
    Right as the Sun dips below the horizon there is sometimes a small green flash. The horizon must be VERY clear and I have only seen it a couple times during the summer months. Hope that helps.

Comment

What is it tho? Not anyones imagination? Is it *phenomenal* (sp?) or just barely there. Thanks again!
      If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
        What is it tho? Not anyones imagination? Is it *phenomenal* (sp?) or just barely there. Thanks again!
        Resurrecting an old thread here mainly 'cuz I've seen the green flash 2 nights in a row...last night and just a few minutes ago. That's so unusual! Those of us on the west side of Oahu don't get to see any GFs during the summer because the sun sets more Waialua side. However, during the other 3 seasons, there's usually a nightly green flash watch by the residents of my condo building...many take pupus, drinks and chairs to the beach and make a party out of it! Then, they cheer if they see one, which isn't all that often. But, hey, any excuse for a party!

Anyway, for anyone interested, try googling on 'green flash'. Here's a page to get you started:
        http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/
        According to this site, I saw a 'green ray' yesterday and an inferior-mirage flash tonight.

A photographer friend of mine was able to capture one in progress a couple of decades ago. It made the news that night!

Comment

I've seen a couple from the summit, but we had no luck catching it with the camera - too fast. In the winter the sun sets behind a pu'u, so we can't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
            I've seen a couple from the summit, but we had no luck catching it with the camera - too fast. In the winter the sun sets behind a pu'u, so we can't see it.
            My friend must've had his camera set on rapid fire! I actually caught a GF with my digital camera...dumb luck...but it doesn't look green in the image so there's no way to justify it!

Comment

I have seen that Green Flash as I've watched the sun go down from the patio at Dukes' . I have only seen it there, and no where else. No one has ever been able to explain it to me, but I thought I was blessed to beable to see it.

Malma Pono,

Claudia

Comment

During sunsets, Mallory Square in Key West, FL is an exceptional place to view the Green Flash phenomenon.

Comment

Working...
                X