Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any place that sells bulk networking cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any place that sells bulk networking cables?

I just want to be prepared in going with another place if my networking teacher doesn't reply back about having 100 foot cables for a LAN.

Usually, I get them free from the school because I cut the cabling to size and make the connections, but it looks like the other students (or school) might have used up the extra wiring.

Anyone knows where I can get bulk cables for less?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Any place that sells bulk networking cables?

I don't know where you can get them less than free! But with the prices of wireless gear dropping I wouldn't even bother. Last week I had a friend of mine pick up that Netgear 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter (looks like a thumbdrive) for $29.95 at CompUSA. I'm thinking of getting some 802.11g PCI cards for all of my builds. I wired my house in Kaimuki for cat-5 networking (4-rooms) and had a bitch of a time crawling under the house stapling wire and poking them thru the walls and floors.

Wireless is the way to go!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      I don't know where you can get them less than free! But with the prices of wireless gear dropping I wouldn't even bother. Last week I had a friend of mine pick up that Netgear 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter (looks like a thumbdrive) for $29.95 at CompUSA. I'm thinking of getting some 802.11g PCI cards for all of my builds. I wired my house in Kaimuki for cat-5 networking (4-rooms) and had a bitch of a time crawling under the house stapling wire and poking them thru the walls and floors.

Wireless is the way to go!
      I'm really reluctant in going wireless.

We already have a wireless paging system here, a 2.4ghz fax/phone, a 900mhz phone, cell phones, walkie talkies and other things that are connection free.

Is the price difference really that small? What about the performance? I always thought of wireless for laptops only.

Comment

Same here. I think wireless is a fine option for laptops because of the portability.

All my desktops have tethered connections to my ethernet switch in the office.

Price wise, I've noticed most routers have the access point (AP) functionality already built in and they don't cost any more than their non-AP cousins. Newegg lists a Netgear non-AP and an AP enabled router for $39 each.

I'm currently using my laptop for wireless connections. It's actually not that bad considering the access point is upstairs and I have 2.4 GHz cordless telephone. It gets a little slow at times, but it works fine.
        Last edited by 808_m3; November 27, 2004, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I just picked up (I believe) 100ft of CAT5 cabling from Home Depot (along with the end connectors). Pearl City is just buzzing with computer stores.

Comment

Wireless G will work fine for all your home needs in 99% of cases. Unless you're doing something way outside the norm as far as local network traffic, it's the best way to go these days. As long as you know how to secure it, there's really no reason to use anything else for a home network these days.

Comment

Working...
            X