Setting up a wired/wireless LAN combo is hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a wired/wireless LAN combo is hard

Ho dis hard. I know that networking computers isn't my strongest ability, but this is rediculous. I connected the router like in the diagram I posted, and I could get on the internet wirelessly on my computer (plugged the adapter into the front USB port) but the speed was kinda slow. I tried it downstairs on my Mom's computer, and it was successful (I was trying to show my cousin and her boyfriend on the various computer companies and potential products I might use in their computer). All of a sudden, it stopped working (I disconnected/reconnected to test if it was stable) but it didn't work. I tried for an hour, going back and forth, trying to connect via the wireless and wired networks to no avail, until I disconnected the wireless portion and replugged the wired portion.

I have a Linksys WAP54G Wireless G Access point as the wireless router, and a Linksys WUSB12 USB adapter.

Is there something wrong with the products? Did I have to get a USB adapter? What about if I install a wireless NIC adaptor?

BTW, here's the pic I'm referring to:

(I don't have the other computers, only the one of them (and that small one is a Small Form Factor computer, which my brother is using)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Setting up a wired/wireless LAN combo is hard

Have you tried changing the channel that your wireless router is using to see if this may be the culprit?

I don't know if this is still true, but most wireless AP/routers come pre-configured out of the box to use channel 6, if you have neighbors who have similiar setups, you may be running into channel interference.

Also, if you have a 2.4 GHZ cordless phone, or a microwave oven nearby, that could be sources of interference too.

Comment

Another thing to do is to set all of your computers on your network to DHCP instead of statically inputting an IP address so they at least see each other on your network. If you have a decent firewall on your router that should help protect from intruders on the wireless side of it. Also are you using TCP/IP as your network protocol? That helps as well.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I've had this situation before.

Is the netgear device a router/AP? If it is, you'll need to disable the router functionality on that device and have it function only as the AP. You'll also need to turn off the DHCP server on the netgear device as well, since I'm assuming the D-link device is taking care of that.

Also, do the AP and the router have different IP addresses?

Comment

BTW, the equipment I have in the picture and what I actually have are completely different.

I'll try your suggestions later (I just got up, so my brain is slowly kicking in).

Comment

I DID IT!!!

I'm typing this message on my Mom's computer downstairs. The signal strength is low (probably because of the concrete wall and the wooden floor between the computer and wireless router) but IT WORKS!!! (I just had to set up the wireless router on my computer and reconnect my Mom's computer to the router, and it works!!!

Now I'll try and restart the computer and see if I can go online again.

Comment

Don't forget to enable WEP. It's not super-strong security, but it'll at least prevent neighbors and passersby from leeching off your bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                Don't forget to enable WEP. It's not super-strong security, but it'll at least prevent neighbors and passersby from leeching off your bandwidth.
                Yup, I also configure the AP to only allow computers with specific MAC addresses to allow connectivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Thanks for the tip. I just did that.

BTW, how far can someone get my connection from?

Comment

Working...
                  X