Big Brother is watching chat rooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brother is watching chat rooms

For the last couple of years, the CIA has been lurking in internet chatrooms trying to detect subversive (i.e., terrorist) activities. Apparently their efforts have not yielded very much, so they will be dropping this program next year. That doesn't mean that they can't later come back and start doing it again, though.

Miulang

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5...tag=zdnn.alert
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Big Brother is watching chat rooms

Well, they say they're dropping it. As with Carnivore, the "problem" from the government's point of view wasn't the public reaction to the practice of digital snooping... it was telling the public about it in the first place.

Much like how muttering FBI, CIA or NSA on a long-distance or international call will supposedly generate a mysterious "click," typing any number of special words online will probably make a little red light pop up in some basement in Virginia.

Comment

Re: Big Brother is watching chat rooms

"It's not just cameras in the street and things like that. It's technology monitoring our movements and activities," he told BBC radio.
      Using mobile phones, credit cards, the Internet and even driving now left an "electronic footprint," he said, while organisations increasingly shared information.
      If it can happen in Brittain... Why wouldn't it be happening here in the U.S.?
      Every person is caught on camera about 300 times each day.
      I wonder what the statistics would be in the U.S. or here in Hawaii with the Hawaii's system of camera's that monitor traffic?
      The report suggests that by 2016 shoppers will be scanned as they enter stores through tags in their clothes, with information matched to details on loyalty cards to recognize shopping habits.
      I would have to quit shopping at stores that did this.
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061102...v_061102190511

Comment

Working...
      X