Exploding cell phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploding cell phones

If you own a Kyocera cell phone (mostly offered through Verizon) and are using off-brand batteries in it, please read the following warning about the possibility of having it explode while you are using it!

Miulang

http://wireless.newsfactor.com/story...story_id=28705
    Last edited by Miulang; November 29, 2004, 03:31 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Exploding cell phones

That is why I don't use any flashing or "cheap" (cell phone) batteries.

A battery is a power thing, and if you don't use it carefully, then it can do harm.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

While most cell phone horror stories are the stuff of urban legends, even the urban-legend experts at Snopes.com have been noting an increase in the number of real cell-phone incidents leading to injury and death.

Given the other activities people undertake on a daily basis, the chances of your gadget killing you are incredibly small. Of course, that doesn't mean you should jump at the chance for an off-brand, $1 used battery on eBay!

Comment

Is it significant that all the incidents in the Snopes article were from Asian countries? Perhaps the use of off-brand batteries is more common over there. Then again, think of all the recalls of Powerbook batteries through the years for fire hazard problems. Batteries are serious technology.

Comment

Which reminds me: anybody who has a Dell laptop with a power plug/recharger that says it comes from Thailand might want to go check on the Dell website about a recall, too.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X