Browser icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browser icon

If you look up at the address bar you'll see a yellow whatzit (what is that thing, anyway, Pzarquon?) next to the site URL. I'm curious as to where I'd go to get an editor to make one of those for my site. M$ tells me I can use their Visual Suite or something like that, but I don't have it and don't want it. Anybody got an alternative source for a freebie, or another way of making one? Could I use my PhotoSuite software to make a 16x16 image and use it, or does it need to be made with an icon editor?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Browser icon

Those are favico.ico files. They're not supported in all browsers, but in most of the biggies. Whether or not you have them on your site, these browsers look for them, usually in the root directory of your site (unless you specify a location elsewhere with a meta tag).

Don't bother with Microsoft. There are dozens of shareware and even freeware utilities (such as at Download.com) that you can use to generate them. Give them a picture (a small one!), click a button, voila, icon file.

Now, this is the same bitmap icon format as the one used in Windows to give your applications and files their fancy icons on your desktop. So, an *.ico file can have several icons within it for different resolutions. But for the web, you need only the tiny one -- 16x16, I think.

I've made more than my fair share, and if you e-mail, post, or otherwise point out a graphic file, I can generate a little icon for your site in no time. There are also websites -- they tend to come and go 'cause they're overwhelmed -- that can generate them for you.

Comment

Re: Browser icon

Ryan does good work, folks! I took him up on his offer, e-mailed him a picture file, and within minutes I had it back as an icon file.

You can see it here. Who can identify what the little thingie is?
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
      X