Preschool recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preschool recommendations

For some of you who might be thinking what preschool you want to send your child to, I highly recommend Kamaaina Kids Preschool (especially the one in Waipahu, where my Mom works ).

Where do you send your kids to for preschool? (BTW, I'm also a product of Kamaaina kids. I used to bug my Mom everytime I have to go to another class.)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Preschool recommendations

I liked Kamaaina Kids, too. Many locations, generally good staff (though you're not getting Dr. Spock), and at some facilities, they start at 18 months. And the price is right. I suppose they're the "basic" option, but they worked well for us.

In fact, we sent our daughter there after trying Montessori. Montessori is very serious, very "qualified," with a specific philosophy of childrearing and high expectations of parental involvement. (It sounded nice, but it seemed more like a way to get free labor for landscaping, painting, and fundraising.) It was a whopping $7,000 a year, with no snacks/meals (you had to provide them, and they had to fit their rules), and many "breaks" -- like a real school. Of course, with a month-long break in the summer, you'd have to find yet another child care option to cover the many spots Montessori didn't. Most of all? My daughter was miserable.

Kamaaina Kids cost a fraction of what Montessori did, had a generous calendar, included snacks (and could handle diapers, though we didn't need that service) and -- for better or worse -- had what I'd call a "wider diversity of clientele." My daughter made friends with kids from Papakolea homesteads and Manoa Valley. And she was very happy.

Now we're starting to hunt around again for our second child, and Kamaaina Kids is on the short list. We have always been interested, however, in smaller, independent programs, like those at community centers and churches. There's plenty to choose from here in Mililani, so we've got a lot of shopping around to do.

So if anyone has any recommendations, I'd be interested in hearing them too!

Comment

Montessori schools (style of teaching) is not for every child. It is a very structured learning environment where students are tasked and are directed in all levels of study and play.

Kids who have very short attention spans do well in these kinds of schools and like a good college you must select the pre school based on their curriculum as each child receives knowledge at a different pace.

New science is finding out that children learn at different rates and develop their brains independent of learning curves set forth by our beloved public educational system. It is called emergant curriculum and is based on the "Whole Body" understanding that the brain developes at their own pace with all children up to age 8 or grade 3.

It is this philosophy that must be understood by pre and k-3 curriculum administrators.

Montessori caters to some children who develop a certain portion of their brain differently than others. It's not to say these children are handicapped or even retarded in any sense. Many of these children need this kind of curriculum to stay focused because traditional methods either bore them or don't challenge them enough. Many of these children turn out to be gifted and talented by age 8 because their specific learning curves were met by a teaching method that adapts to their own brain development.

But it's not for all children. Children who have been diagnosed with ADDS seem to flourish in Montessori schools, while others find it mundane and eventually drop out going to other pre-schools.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Let's revisit this thread... now that my son heads to this age group.

Anyone have any good recommendations on pre-schools in the McCully, Makiki, Kaimuki area?

Licensed only....!

Comment

there's another thread on this very topic somewhere. in the areas you mentioned, i'd suggest "the early school" as a school to consider. there's also a new kaimuki branch of the cole academy....
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Kawaihao Pre School...absolutely loved it..yes it was Montessori based and it included breakfast lunch and snack all for 525.00 mo.

Comment

I've heard good things about Kawaihao. Other than that, my answer above on Kamaaina Kids still stands. (November 2004? How fast time flies... and kids grow!) It ain't The Cole Academy, but it ain't half as expensive, either.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                Let's revisit this thread... now that my son heads to this age group.

Anyone have any good recommendations on pre-schools in the McCully, Makiki, Kaimuki area?

Licensed only....!
                The Early School on Bingham street next to Church of the Crossroads next to Varsity Theater. It's considered the Punahou of preschools and is in fact a feeder school to Punahou.

It is where our government and business leaders send their children to. Our Ethics commissioner, three prior insurance commissioners, even lawyers like our beloved Brook Hart sent their kids there because it is simply the best preschool anywhere in Hawaii and best of all manoasurfer123, it's in the McCully area. And at around $1,000 per year, it's very expensive. I've sent four of my six children there and have never regretted it.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  The Early School on Bingham street next to Church of the Crossroads next to Varsity Theater. It's considered the Punahou of preschools and is in fact a feeder school to Punahou.

It is where our government and business leaders send their children to. Our Ethics commissioner, three prior insurance commissioners, even lawyers like our beloved Brook Hart sent their kids there because it is simply the best preschool anywhere in Hawaii and best of all manoasurfer123, it's in the McCully area. And at around $1,000 per year, it's very expensive. I've sent four of my six children there and have never regretted it.
                  $1000 per year sounds cheap to me!

Was that a typo?

Comment

$1,000 per year? I'll take that.

And, you know, being the "Punahou of preschools" is not neccessarily a plus in some parents' books.

Here's an earlier thread on Honolulu preschool recommendations (likely the one shaveice had in mind). Lots of good discussion there, too.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

Why is it regarded so highly? Is its convenient location that adds to its attractiveness for professionals, or its curriculum/pedagogy? Is it secular? I am really curious, and google didn't get me far.

pax

Comment

Sonshine Preschool in Kealakekua, Hawaii.

Great Administrator. Great Teachers. Strict Discipline with LottaLove. Great Environment with a touch of prayer to help with moral character building.

15 different 4 year olds who come from 15 completely different families.

EVERY DAMNED ONE OF EM CAN READ, WRITE & COUNT LIKE A 1ST GRADER.

That's a testament to a fantastic teacher. Thank you Aunty Susan.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          $1000 per year sounds cheap to me!

Was that a typo?
                          . . . . . . . . . . . .

absolutely he meant "per month".
                          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Whoops sorry for that major typo. Yes around $1000 per month. And it's attractive for many reasons, location is one of them, and yes it is secular albeit on the compounds of Church of the Crossroads.

It's curricullum is based on the cutting edge emergent style as I spoke of earlier in this thread. The ironic part is that this style was in use by TES (The Early School) way before it became cutting edge. Many UH professors send their kids there as well. The teaching staff is a diverse group that reminds me of a grassroots style of teaching yet because many of TES' board members are educators themselves and parents, they bring together a responsive team of educational experts working along with their children's teachers. This unification of parents and staff bring what I've always considered valuable in a child's education...and that is parent participation.

As a parent who sent my kids there both my wife and I were actively involved with their programs, we and other parents would have these work days when we would come on a weekend and spruce up the place. Monetary contributions weren't enough, parent work participation was necessary. On some occasions we would come in after work to do some of the janitorial work like cleaning the boys and girls bathrooms, cleaning the classrooms on the weekends and such.

This kind of work ethic helps parents feel better connected to their kid's preschool. And when the kids see that connection, they're motivated to be better students as well.

TES has two summer campouts every year and potlucks at Kaimana Beach every month where parents, teachers and board members can mingle outside of the school grounds. This provides a bonding process where adults can relate their expertise, kinda like networking. Many of the parents take advantage of these outings as we all know in Hawaii it's who you know.

One of the virtues of TES is it's non-reliance on high technology. They are a grassroots organization that emphasizes creativity and self-discovery. You would think the lack of academic teaching would hinder a preschooler entering kindergarden. Not so...academic performance is more indicative later in a child's brain developmental years. Like running you first have to learn to stand up and walk. Academic fundamentals come later, but first the brain has to learn to compartmentalize, analyze and sort things. It has to differentiate between square things, round things, fluffy things, and smelly things before it can begin to fractionalize them into number sequences.

The grassroots back to basics teachings of TES allow students there to explore their cognative abilities without the disciplines of an educational curricullum. This allows the brain to develop at a quicker pace without the stresses of academics to restrict creative thinking.

Basically TES' curricullum encourages the brain to become more aware of it's sensory inputs. This awareness stimulates brain cell development and allows those neurons to connect and interconnect forming major networks bridging brain cells in multiple paths. This kind of cell interconnect allows the brain to function more efficiently. The science behind this kind of creative thinking curricullum isn't new and TES has integrated that style for decades already, but only recently has the DOE recognized it.

But it is this style of teaching that has allowed TES to become one of Hawaii's leading preschools. You can reach TES at 955-5881, Francis Dote is the director there and when calling mention Craig and Brenda Watanabe as we are strong supporters of this outstanding institution.

Comment

Whew. That's quite a pitch.

I'm glad TES worked out great for you, Craig. I'm sure it's a wonderful school.

But as above, I'd like to stress that every parent needs to check out all their options and mesh them with what they know about their own kids to determine what works best for them. No single approach -- Montessori, Waldorf, High Scope, Muppet Baby, whatever -- is inherently superior, "cutting edge," "leading," "advanced," or "progressive." In fact, I'd be skeptical of any school that made such sweeping claims.

A good school won't try to sell to all parents and students, but just find the best fit.
                              Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                              I am really curious, and google didn't get me far.
                              Indeed. Fascinating for a school with such impressive credentials and easily recited notable alumni to have so limited a footprint in the wild, whether self-generated material or via commentary in the media or elsewhere. Despite being the "Punahou of Preschools," I guess The Early School is considerably more humble.
                              Last edited by pzarquon; July 12, 2006, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X