PDA

View Full Version : Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

scrivener
December 1st, 2004, 06:23 AM
How did you settle on it, and what significance or meaning does it have for you?

In the late eighties and early nineties, my handle was Proginoskes, after a character in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wind in the Door. Just before I got out of college, I changed it to Scrivener--it seemed more in keeping with who I'd become online.

In the days before photocopiers, legal documents that had to be duplicated were hand-copied by people called scriveners. Literally, a scrivener is someone who writes. I took the name from Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener, a story I hate but a title I love.

So where'd you get yours?

pzarquon
December 1st, 2004, 07:02 AM
This could be a fun thread. There are lots of handles I'm curious about!

My handle, pzarquon, is a login-esque contraction of Prophet Zarquon, my handle from the heady BBS days of the early '90s. He's a character that exists for only a page or two (out of hundreds) in Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series, who shows up just in time for the party to end. I somehow identified with that befuddlement.

There's a HHGTTG movie in the works, and now I wonder if Prophet Zarquon will make an appearance?

Glen Miyashiro
December 1st, 2004, 07:31 AM
If you've lived in Hawai'i for more than a few years, then you should know:

My name is Glen Miyashiro
I went to Kaimukī High School
Then I went UH Mānoa
And now I work in one office

"Glen Miyashiro", by Frank DeLima
(to the tune of "Guantanamera")

Linkmeister
December 1st, 2004, 08:21 AM
A few years ago when I first got online I joined a Yahoo history/biography book club, and I got in the habit of posting links to current news stories I thought might interest members of the club. After a while one of the members began calling me Linkmeister, and I liked it enough to keep it when I started looking for a domain name. To my surprise, it was available, so I got it, and I've been using it ever since. (Since I have my resumé on the site, my real name is out there; I ain't hiding nothin'.)

Albert
December 1st, 2004, 09:03 AM
In the mid-80's I was hired to set up a (very primitive, at that time) computer system connecting two offices and one country house. I'd had absolutely no experience with modems, but bought a 1200 one and tried to connect and test it. I noticed an advertisement for a MUD, so tested the modem connection by calling that number.

It asked me for a name. The wife of my boss had given me a cigarette lighter in the shape of a panther's head and it was sitting on the computer.

So I said, "Panther".

Now a book has been published in France called (in French, of course) "The World of Albert the Panther".

Who woulda thunk it?

scrivener
December 1st, 2004, 09:40 AM
If you've lived in Hawai'i for more than a few years, then you should know:

Yes, yes, but why did YOU choose it? Do all those things describe you, too? :)

Glen Miyashiro
December 1st, 2004, 10:03 AM
Yes, yes, but why did YOU choose it? Do all those things describe you, too? :)
In the particulars, no; in general, yes. Glen Miyashiro is the local Japanese everyman. The first time I heard DeLima's song, I was driving down Punchbowl and I nearly ran my car off the road, I was laughing so hard. I mean, if you're a local Japanese boy, that song just stings, it's so dead-on accurate.

Serenity
May 22nd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Well, for my name (nick name)....

Serenity

I liked it so much from this prayer I found...

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change.....
The courage to change the things I can....
and the wisdom to know the difference.

So sometimes, when I need Serenity in my life,
there are things I cannot change, & the wisdom to know the difference,
I think of that name which leads me to that prayer.

Hence, my signature: "Be tranquil in one's mind".
That is how my nick name came to be. ;)

Any one else would like to share?
Inquiring minds would like to know. :)

Aloha.

1stwahine
May 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
In the late 80's, I was the Business Manager for Chariot Promotions Inc., Professional Boxing in Hawai'i (for several months till I quit)...therefore, dubbed by Steve Lum of Honolulu Sporting News as Hawaii's 1st Lady Of Boxing! I also go by Auntie Lynn of Chinatown, Auntie Pupule, and momthreesoldiers, depending on what mood I'm in. After all, I'm Bi-Polar. ;)

Just me,
Lynn Vasquez

ahola
May 22nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Couldn't believe somebody already took aloha or I could be dyslexic.

Serenity
May 22nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Couldn't believe somebody already took aloha or I could be dyslexic.

Maybe you are dyslexic?. :confused: :o :D

That's always been the ending to my last statement. :cool:

Don't know about anyone, but I really like it. So there. LOL.

Aloha.

Carolina tutu
May 23rd, 2005, 12:44 AM
I am brand new at this, I got my computer for Christmas a year ago and the grandkids are teaching me how to use it. So I just came up with my name. I love being a grandma, "Tutu" and I am from South Carolina. Because I lived in Hawaii 7 years I cheat and call myself "Tutu". I am a wantabe.........

Surfingfarmboy
May 23rd, 2005, 01:09 AM
I was surfing at Pupukea on the NS and believe it or not, I wasn't wearing board shorts...I was surfing in my bib overalls, AKA "farmer's jeans". (I deceided to catch some waves after a day of working the fields in central O'ahu; didn't feel like changing) Anyway..a couple of locals saw me in my wet overalls, as I clutched my stick after riding out a weak swell, and asked me "How's the breaks, surfing farmboy?" I fell in love with that nickname from the start. I think it fits me so well.

newroots
May 23rd, 2005, 01:43 AM
this is probably the most annoying story , but i'll post it anyway. orginally , i'm from guam , but i started listening to jawaiian reggae , and got really interested in hawai'i. after reading about the culture , and liking the music even more ... i really wanted to be hawaiian , and thought about how cool it would be if people could change or pick out their ancestry. which is totally not possible...... but its a entertaining thought.

Glen Miyashiro
May 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM
i really wanted to be hawaiian , and thought about how cool it would be if people could change or pick out their ancestry. which is totally not possible...... but its a entertaining thought.Then again, ask Ward Churchill. Heh heh.

memorylane
May 23rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
From the old saying *trippin down memory lane* which is what i was dreaming of doing when i found this place several months before actually getting to come back to Oahu and really *trip down*. :D

memorylane
May 23rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
How did you settle on it, and what significance or meaning does it have for you?

In the late eighties and early nineties, my handle was Proginoskes, after a character in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wind in the Door. Just before I got out of college, I changed it to Scrivener--it seemed more in keeping with who I'd become online.

In the days before photocopiers, legal documents that had to be duplicated were hand-copied by people called scriveners. Literally, a scrivener is someone who writes. I took the name from Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener, a story I hate but a title I love.

I assumed it was from the military base there on Oahu, lol.

jdub
May 23rd, 2005, 02:12 PM
j-dub is my stage name if i ever decide to become an MC...i think everyone should have a stage name for if they ever decide to become an MC ...

kupomog
May 24th, 2005, 07:26 AM
I always use kupomog as my forum name, if I don't use my e-mail that is. A mog, or Moogle is a creature from the Final Fantasy video games, and they always say "kupo!" I loves my FF games.

Moogle/Mog ---> http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/shared/smilies/moogle.gif

cezanne
May 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM
19th century painting great Paul Cezanne.

adrian
May 26th, 2005, 04:12 PM
My older brother gave me this name when we first logged onto AOL 10 years ago *shivers*. I always used this name because I couldn't think of any other names, but now I have 3 or 4 of them (and I wish I can change it, but people already know me by this name)

And no, the 1456 doesn't stand for anything, the name is just part of my first name (Adrian).

Peshkwe
May 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Peshkwe is Aniishinabeg for a kind of a plain little bird that does acrobatics and has a big mouth. It goes by a couple of different common names, Nighthawk or Bullbat...but it's neither a hawk nor a bat.

Kinda suits me being neither 'this' nor 'that' ...just me. :)

Lei K
May 26th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Mine is a mixture of my middle name that I use more than my first name and my tutu's Hawaiian surname. Everything else I wanted to use was taken and this was the only other thing I could think of at the time. :)

1stwahine
May 26th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Absolutely beautiful, LeiKaina! ;)

Menehune Man
May 30th, 2005, 08:36 PM
I got turned onto geocaching. It's a sort of hide and seek game using GPS receivers. Good fun. So I had to have a player name and "Buddy" rhymes with my last name. Someone already had it and "Buddy 1" didn't make sense so...Anyways check out these two sites. www.geocaching.com and the "GPSHawaii" part of Hawaiithreads.com. Aloha, Buddy2

lavagal
May 30th, 2005, 09:57 PM
My second email address, which I had for quite sometime was with lavanet. I started doing some eBaying and decided to call myself Lavagal. I've since moved on to Roadrunner, but I like Lavagal as a nick name because it evokes Hawaii. I'm originally from South Jersey and lived there until I left home at 17. I've lived in Hawaii since 1981, 24 years this summer.

point.break
May 31st, 2005, 11:50 AM
Well, since I'm really new around here, this may give you a bit of a look into my psyche. (Run the other way now while you still can!)

(You have been warned!)
"Point Break" was a silly but entertaining Keanu Reeves movie that I've always enjoyed. It fits here because it came out just before I moved to Hawaii the first time, so it gave me my first look at what a surfing culture might be like, and, Keanu, so I'm told, was a local boy.

It's also the reverse of "breakpoint" which is a stop in program exceution that gets set when you are debugging code. I was also just getting heavily into technology when I moved out here, so it fits for me on both levels.

That's about it from the "Dept. of Useless Information" for now!

Glen Miyashiro
May 31st, 2005, 11:56 AM
Actually, I don't think Keanu ever lived in Hawai'i. I think he was raised in Canada. His dad is a local boy, though, and is still in the islands.

point.break
May 31st, 2005, 12:21 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out, Glen. I wasn't %100 sure.

You can never tell. Seems like Hawaii people are all over. I worked with one for a couple of years in New York.

Tiger Beer
July 28th, 2005, 11:58 PM
I use 'Tiger Beer' on the many ESL and Korean expat message boards online.. stuff line www.eslcafe.com and the others.

Originally got the name from a local beer thats common in many Southeast Asian countries like Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc. TIGER BEER.

EastCoastTropics
July 29th, 2005, 12:07 AM
It's my business name....

PoiDog
August 5th, 2005, 06:24 AM
I AM POIDOG...Hawaiian, Irish, Danish, Portuguese, English (probably some other stuff too).

pinakboy
August 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM
pinakboy as pinak for the filipino dish pinakbet... not actually my favorite dish but among my top 10, since got lots of veggies! :)

there was this guy on IRC chat and his nick was pinakbert and i thought dat was cool. :p

it's also my AIM nickname. :)

MadAzza
August 5th, 2005, 03:03 PM
From my shrink.

Mokihana
August 6th, 2005, 08:35 AM
It's my real name! :D

alohabear
August 9th, 2005, 12:51 PM
My wife calls me bear...I live in Hawaii=Alohabear :)

D'Alani
August 9th, 2005, 08:37 PM
From the initial of my first name and the name of the street that I live on.

Fondoo2
August 12th, 2005, 08:43 PM
long time PC game freak.Played an online fantasy game awhile and everyone had these serious names like Drakarg and Alastra mine was Caidrik.Anyway I started another online game this one Sci-Fi and decided I didn't need a serious name and made a fun one.Fondoo was meant to spell the cheese sauce fondue but since I am the misspell king I named the charactor Fondoo.I keep it misspelled because the 3 o's look cool to me and it reminds me of all the friends I made playing that game.

saigonwarrior
August 12th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Born in Saigon love dem UH Warriors

Palama Kid
August 13th, 2005, 04:47 AM

I used KimoU previously (before hawaiithreads), for my first (James) and last names. But Kimo's much too common (right Kimo?).

In the 50s, I lived in Mayor Wrights and went to Kaiulani Elementary, so I thought Palama Kid seemed appropriate.

BTW in the 60s, I moved to Kuhio Park Terrace, but don't want people to know that I moved THERE. Juuuusst kidding.

Palama Kid

glossyp
August 13th, 2005, 08:27 AM
From a glam rock name generator. I was living on Guam (hafa, islan guahan! todo mauleg?) and we built websites for corporate entities. One of our designers used to kill time by finding various name generators. The full name should be Glossy Purplepants but that's way too long thus glossyp was born.

Keith H.
August 14th, 2005, 10:03 PM
My HawaiiThreads name? I had no choice in the matter. My parents decided it sounded cool. :)

But, the reason why my avatar is a pineapple (and the reason my blog has a pineapple theme)...a friend of mine e-mailed the joke about the three explorers and the cannibals, where they had to stick various fruits into a certain bodily orifice that shall remain unnamed. I'm not gonna repeat it here, Google "pineapples joke" if you want to read it. In any case, my friend used my name and two others for each of the three explorers...guess whose name was used as the punch line. :p The nickname stuck.

Kekaha Roots
August 15th, 2005, 09:24 AM
My great grandfather moved from Japan to Kekaha, Kauai, in 1890 to start a new life. At the time he worked at the Kekaha Sugar Company as a laborer.

Ailina
August 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Meh. Not so interesting a history here. "A`ilina" is my given middle name, by which I've always been addressed.

One interesting thing--"A`ilina" is the Hawaiian derivative of "Irene," my mother's name, but in Hawaiian, it TRULY means "grave" or "cemetery!" Agh!!

pzarquon
August 15th, 2005, 03:55 PM
It is? Wow. My grandmother's name was Irene, and she took Ilani as the derivation (and gave it to my mother as a middle name!). Ailina certainly sounds like a more direct transliteration.

Ailina
August 15th, 2005, 07:05 PM
It is? Wow. My grandmother's name was Irene, and she took Ilani as the derivation (and gave it to my mother as a middle name!). Ailina certainly sounds like a more direct transliteration.

Oh, cool. :) Your mother is a second-generation "Irene," then, like me. "Ilani" is pretty. Wouldn't it literally mean "by heaven" or something similar? MUCH nicer than "A`ilina of the Grave!!!"

(I haven't told my mother yet. I'm betting she won't be very mortified, but I have yet to introduce myself to a native speaker. !!)

lurkah
August 15th, 2005, 07:17 PM
MUCH nicer than "A`ilina of the Grave!!!"

From Keola Donaghy's online Hawaiian dictionary (http://wehewehe.org/cgi-bin/hdict?a=q&r=1&hs=1&e=q-0hdict--00-0-0--010---4----den--0-000lpm--1en-Zz-1---Zz-1-home---00031-0000escapewin-00&q=grave&j=pm&hdid=0&hdds=0):

Grave: "1. Burial. Hē, lua kupapa'u, ilina."
There still might be hope for you yet. ;)

Pikake
August 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM
Das my real name! Mom asked grandma for a Hawaiian name that begins with P. Grandma then named me Pikake. I often go by Jasmine and most Filipinos call me Sampagita (no joke)

islandsoljah
August 21st, 2005, 07:27 PM
I've used this name (IslandSoljah) as my reply email tag when I first got assigned to the Mainland to support the U.S. Army Reserve here in the Pacific Northwest. The name accurately represents where I'm from and what I currently do.

GFB Always.

Pua'i Mana'o
August 23rd, 2005, 01:41 PM

chiming in late:

to pua'i mana'o is to give feedback or brainstorm. I like the sense of purpose of it. I've gotten to a place in my life where I don't want to talk for the simple sake of talking. I like to learn and I like to share.

Leo Lakio
August 29th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Radio voice - worked in radio (as well as other music gigs - producer, performer, promoter, programmer) since 1976.

NoCal Boy
September 21st, 2005, 09:54 AM
I was going for clever in using a common abbreviation for my home (though I've always preferred *Nor* Cal) in a Hawaii context, but now I'm not sure people would read it as "Noke ul" Boy. Oh well.

I was originally going to go with "Almost Local" but I didn't want to sound presumptuous.

poipndr
October 16th, 2005, 04:32 AM
poipndr abbreviated for pounding poi or slang word for kanaka or hawaiian.

FLhaole
October 16th, 2005, 04:58 AM
FLHaole - just that - caucasian chick, in Florida. I have read some accounts of this word "haole" originating from the term "ghost" or "breathless". However, I have read accounts on this not being so. (Language encyclopedias)
A friend, from Hawaii, calls me this, in a joking manner and I take it all in fun - because it is the truth.

tutusue
October 16th, 2005, 08:39 AM
It's a typo of Tutu Sue, a moniker given me at the newsgroup soc.culture.hawaii (or maybe it was a Hawaii based email list...can't remember!). Anyway, when I announced the birth of my first grandchild to that group back in 1997, one of the readers announced "Congratulations Tutu Sue!". Now, even my clients call me that, especially the younger ones. And even some of the older ones. :rolleyes:

GypsyLika
October 16th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Gypsy because I've lived in more places then most. I've moved around a lot is an understatement. Lika is just a nickname from way back when. :)

Pomai
October 16th, 2005, 10:02 AM
My real first name, given to me by my late grandmother's sister.

Pomai is an abbreviation of Pomaika'i. A Hawaiian biblical name which is used frequently in the book of Psalms and also the 10 commandments.

Pomaika'i translates to "God's blessing", "to be blessed", "fortunate" or "good fortune", depending on the context that it's used.

Whether I live up to my name's meaning.. well that's a whole nother story. :D

For anyone who may ask if I have Hawaiian blood? Yes, about 1/4. The rest a mixture of three European ethnicities (most people say I look hapa).

Was gonna' use my "HaynKikaida" handle from the old HRTV board, but Mel kinda' inspired me with his simple "this is my name" approach. :cool:

Lalalinder
October 16th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Mine is just a combination of two childhood nicknames.

Pakala
October 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Pakala is the area on Kauai where my family home is. One of its meanings is "a sunny place". I liked that enough to also register it as a domain name.

IslandStyle
October 16th, 2005, 03:55 PM
"IslandStyle" - Best song from Hawaiian native John Cruz. Also describes how I've lived... Slow and relaxed, laid back appreciating everything in life as I go through it day by day.

Rickyrab
October 16th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I'm boring. I shortened my real name (Richard R.) and came up with "Rickyrab".

Kilinahe
October 16th, 2005, 06:12 PM
In my first year of college at UH-Hilo, I took Hawaiian language. My kumu gave me the name Kilinahe.

zztype
October 16th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I'm an old guy, used to be a typesetter by trade, who likes blues music, especially from "That Little Ole Band From Texas," ZZ Top.

Blend the two together, ZZ and Type and you get ZZ Type.

Which also happens to be the name of my freelance business dating to sometime back in the 1980s!

Aloha,

Blaine

sinjin
October 17th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Mine is my young son's given Christian name. It is the colloquial/phonetic spelling of how someone British might pronounce "Saint John" being "John the Baptist".

Jonah K
October 17th, 2005, 10:06 AM
chiming in late:

to pua'i mana'o is to give feedback or brainstorm. I like the sense of purpose of it. I've gotten to a place in my life where I don't want to talk for the simple sake of talking. I like to learn and I like to share.
Everytime I think about the kaona for "pua'i mana'o", I can't help but laugh. However, I won't tell if you don't. ;)

D'Alani
October 17th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Everytime I think about the kaona for "pua'i mana'o", I can't help but laugh. However, I won't tell if you don't. ;)

i hope u not tinking da kine "kau yook" time. :rolleyes:

Pua'i Mana'o
October 18th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Hey! My name is "pua'i mana'o", not "lua'i mana'o". :eek:

Jonah K
October 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Hey! My name is "pua'i mana'o", not "lua'i mana'o". :eek:
"Pua'i" can be a more prosaic way of saying "lua'i." The kaona for "pua'i mane'o" is pretty entertaining as well. ;)

Pua'i Mana'o
October 18th, 2005, 07:52 PM
"Pua'i" can be a more prosaic way of saying "lua'i." The kaona for "pua'i mane'o" is pretty entertaining as well. ;)

noooooyooouuuuneevvaa! :eek:

backwoodlessons2
October 20th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I got mine from my name for a different website. Also I know the person who has backwoodlessons.

RJARRRPCGP
November 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Meh. Not so interesting a history here. "A`ilina" is my given middle name, by which I've always been addressed.

One interesting thing--"A`ilina" is the Hawaiian derivative of "Irene," my mother's name, but in Hawaiian, it TRULY means "grave" or "cemetery!" Agh!!

LOL. No offense. But I had no idea that it can also mean that!

That's funny, because out of the blue in my head, I came up with the name Ailina, but that's because of a Gaelic word that coincindently means "beautiful" or "lovely"!

Anyone here ever come across this phenomenon before? The phenomenon where there's literally a name meaning clash, because of a word in another language having a similar spelling and pronounciation?

Pomai
December 3rd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Anyone new here who may want to share?

Scroll back and you'll find many of us HT regulars' say on this.

Mahalo in advance! :)

maui girl
December 4th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Anyone new here who may want to share?

Scroll back and you'll find many of us HT regulars' say on this.

Mahalo in advance! :)
Hello. I stay tryin to write some stuff on the post. im new and every time i come to this site it says forum closed. How can i write something to get some feedback? :(

Kauaibound
December 18th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Aloha!

My usual handle for everything is pele5474 but I wanted to be respectful of those who may take offense at my hommage to the volcano goddess. I chose that because I've been described as fiery and a strong woman so I felt a kinship.

My handle here is because my husband and I hope to move to Kauai in the future. We love the locals and have made some friends there that we treasure. While we don't live there yet, we do donate to the Kauai Humane Society and the Kauai Food Bank as well as buy from the mom and pop shops there so that we can support our future community. We pick up trash and recycle while there as well to keep our future home clean and green.
:)

Lisheous
January 3rd, 2006, 03:21 AM
When I was a little girl growing up, my father was very strict. I couldn't go out to play or have any friends to come over and play with me. So my best friend, till today, would call me "Lisheous" from my bedroom window. She gave me that nickname. LOL! :D

I didn't want my father to hear her calling me from outside, so I would sneak out, to go and play with her and sneak back into the house. He never found out, it happened several times. LOL! :p Till today my dad don't know me by this nickname. :)

Edited to correct spelling.

kaneohegirl
January 3rd, 2006, 06:08 AM
Kaneohegirl....because I grew up in Kaneohe... I also use it in other online domains Aloha World and in THERE, so it was second nature to type the name out... I was suprised it wasn't taken.

flying snow
January 14th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Flying Snow is from the movie Hero . Which is one of my all time favorite movies.

I used the name on GameSpy when I was playing Civ 3 online and I think it sounds rather graceful.

i-hungry
January 14th, 2006, 03:35 PM
i don't know. and don't ask such difficult questions.

hold on. i need to get something from the kitchen.

Creative-1
January 14th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Creative-1 is my business's name (marketing and management consulting).

There used to be two of us and we argued over which of us was the creative one.

Bob Sigall

tutusue
January 14th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Creative-1 is my business's name (marketing and management consulting).

There used to be two of us and we argued over which of us was the creative one.

Bob Sigall
Is Lei creative, too?! ;) Try wait! You said "used to"!!!

Creative-1
January 15th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Tutusue,

No, I was referring to my former biz partner, who taught me everything he knew about marketing. He went off into non-profit work.

Tutusue's father and my mother worked together in the 1930s at Warner Brothers. Her father wrote cartoons. My mom painted them (Bugs Bunny, Tweety, Roadrunner, etc).

When people ask me where I got my creative side, I credit my mom.

tutusue
January 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM
[...]Tutusue's father and my mother worked together in the 1930s at Warner Brothers. Her father wrote cartoons. My mom painted them (Bugs Bunny, Tweety, Roadrunner, etc).

When people ask me where I got my creative side, I credit my mom.
And both of you are authors! You first, I think! ;)

Bob's mom's book was published this year..."Living Life Inside The Lines: Tales From The Golden Age Of Animation", by Martha Sigall. I intentionally didn't create a link 'cuz I didn't want anyone to think I'm selling it! Google is your friend. Martha is the consummate, animation historian.

BTW...how Bob and I met and how we discovered our parents' working relationship is covered at:
http://www.reelserviceshawaii.com/mydad/
...entries dated 5/23/04 and 8/15/04
What a truly special meeting that was.

Pomai44
January 16th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Well I joined HT about 5 months after Pomai so that was taken so I first used my whole middle name Pomaikaikeolahou (which was given to me by my mother-inlaw) but then after awhile for some reason I could not post or even get on with that name, so I took this one Pomai44.

Whitepoint3rchum
July 5th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Whitepoint,...

Alright,

Nobody has asked, but I assume no one knows the meaning of my name. It's whitepointerchum, the final e being a 3 paying homage to 1337 5p33c/-/. I was hesitant about choosing this name because I was afraid someone would see white point and take it as some sort of chauvinistic handle. However, white pointer is the Aussie term for white shark. And chum, perhaps I should have used burly to stay true to the Aussie culture, is a mixture of fish blood/oils/parts used to draw in otherwise elusive marine life for study/sport fishing purposes.
(white sharks are my future animals of study whence I get all of my degrees)

Kanela,
Tight name. Keep it. Out.

damontucker
July 5th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Nobody has asked, but I assume no one knows the meaning of my name. It's whitepointerchum, the final e being a 3 paying homage to 1337 5p33c/-/. I was hesitant about choosing this name because I was afraid someone would see white point and take it as some sort of chauvinistic handle. However, white pointer is the Aussie term for white shark. And chum, perhaps I should have used burly to stay true to the Aussie culture, is a mixture of fish blood/oils/parts used to draw in otherwise elusive marine life for study/sport fishing purposes.
Aloha "Flake"

Just kidding... I think flake stands for shark meat doesn't it down there?

Whitepoint3rchum
July 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Aloha "Flake"

Just kidding... I think flake stands for shark meat doesn't it down there?

Hehe, not sure, neva been. It does ring a bell though. :)

djteva
July 5th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Well a Polynesian friend gave me the name "TEVA" and I think it means "The One" in Tahitian. Anyway, He took me to a luau party that was book by this great polynesian company.

www.teguide.com

So i guess i would recommend this Polynesian, Hawaiian group if anybody wants to book a show in California or Nevada.

http://www.teguide.com/

MadAzza
July 5th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Alright,

Nobody has asked, but I assume no one knows the meaning of my name. It's whitepointerchum, the final e being a 3 paying homage to 1337 5p33c/-/. I was hesitant about choosing this name because I was afraid someone would see white point and take it as some sort of chauvinistic handle. However, white pointer is the Aussie term for white shark.

I was wondering, so I'm glad you explained!

But ... why would you worry about "white point"? How could that be chauvinistic? And if someone is offended because of his/her ignorance, it shouldn't be your concern. It's kind of a sad commentary that our society (in the broad meaning) has come to this -- some people have been indoctrinated to be so easily offended that everyone else has to tiptoe around them.

Anyway ... thanks again for the explanation. But ... um ... I still don't know what it means. What's 1337 5p33c/-/ ? Am I the ignorant one for not understanding?

Maddie

tutusue
July 5th, 2006, 11:48 PM
[...]Anyway ... thanks again for the explanation. But ... um ... I still don't know what it means. What's 1337 5p33c/-/ ? Am I the ignorant one for not understanding?[...]
Nope! It flew right over my head and is somewhere over Slovinia by now!

Whitepoint3rchum
July 6th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Anyway ... thanks again for the explanation. But ... um ... I still don't know what it means. What's 1337 5p33c/-/ ? Am I the ignorant one for not understanding?

Maddie

No, your not ignorant. It's leet (elite) speech. the L is a 1, e is a 3, t is a 7, etc. Its a type of communication divised by gamers to talk in code so others couldn't understand them. Much of the vocabulary has leaked into mainstream society though, words such as pwned (poned-power owned)and uber (I know its German but it was made popular in America amongst non-german speaking individuals by gaming clans). Yeah was just tipping my hat to my old gaming roots, cause now I don't have time for that anymore :( (It's kinda bittersweet.)

SusieMisajon
July 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM
It's really my name.

MadAzza
July 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM
No, your not ignorant. It's leet (elite) speech. the L is a 1, e is a 3, t is a 7, etc. Its a type of communication divised by gamers to talk in code so others couldn't understand them. Much of the vocabulary has leaked into mainstream society though, words such as pwned (poned-power owned)and uber (I know its German but it was made popular in America amongst non-german speaking individuals by gaming clans). Yeah was just tipping my hat to my old gaming roots, cause now I don't have time for that anymore :( (It's kinda bittersweet.)

Another explanation that makes no damn sense! :)

I suppose I could ask what a "gamer" is, but ... nah.

Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!

Miulang
July 6th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Another explanation that makes no damn sense! :)

I suppose I could ask what a "gamer" is, but ... nah.

Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!
A gamer is somebody who's waaaay younger than the both of us, Maddie! ;) It's someone from the "carpal thumb" (as opposed to the carpal tunnel wrist or arm) generation.

Miulang

Konaguy
July 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM
konaguy- I'm from Kona and I'm a guy :)

Vanguard
July 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM
The Vanguard is the leading squadron in a fleet, and um ... I like to be on point. In the mist of the action. That's kind of silly and incomplete, but here it is :P

anapuni808
July 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM
When I changed ISP's some years ago, I was setting up my account for email & it was very late & being tired, my creativity was at a standstill. My email address/name ended up being my street & area code, which I also use here on HT.

Supercub
July 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Supercub is a 50cc scooter model made by Honda. I rode one when I lived in Japan. It's the most popular scooter in the world. I miss my cub. She was named Midori. I hope she's found a good home.

http://www.honda.co.jp/motor-lineup/supercub/image/supercub_index_main.jpg

kimo55
July 9th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Supercub is a 50cc scooter I hope she's found a good home.

well, she sure as hell found a good photographer.

Leo Lakio
July 10th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Supercub is a 50cc scooter model made by Honda. I rode one when I lived in Japan. It's the most popular scooter in the world. I miss my cub. She was named Midori. I hope she's found a good home.

May I assume yours was green, rather than white?

Supercub
July 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM
She wasn't called Midori for nothing! :D

TuNnL
July 11th, 2006, 04:11 AM
TuNnL is a handle I've had for nearly a decade now. It started out as TuNnLvIsIoN, but it got humbug to type all of that. It was meant to indicate my frame of thought as I concentrated (especially with so many “distractions”) on graduating from college. Thanks in part to my hoaaloha, mānoasurfer123, I succeeded in that endeavor.

Initially my plan was to own TuNnL. (You can hit me at either TuNnL@netscape.net or TuNnL@yahoo.com.) But I quickly realized there are just too many .whatevers out there. Hey, at least I'm not Glen Miyashiro. He's a veeerrry, booooorring person (according to Frank DeLima). :D

KoaukaLoop82
July 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM
KoaukaLoop82 is a mixture of the street where my brother lived in Aiea (and where I lived for five summers as a teenager), and 82 is the last summer I spent in Hawaii. I MISS that apartment, it was 2 blocks from Pearlridge and a block from The Bus.

My brother could have bought that same apartment at 98-500 Koauka Loop--I think because it went condo--and his monthly mortgage would have been $300.

It had a great lanai, washer/dryer, a/c of course, it was one bedroom but who cared because it had access to the lanai too, and when you opened one of the sliding glass doors you got great tradewinds. Of coures if the guy across the hall opened his sliding glass doors too, the wind made a howl in the hallway and you couldn't open the front door very easily!

The end of the building had a wonderful view of the Arizona Memorial (OK, it WAS from the fire escape). I loved the pool, too, except when hurricanes came by too close and threw all the rocks from the parking lot into it. I can still remember the distinctive clunk-clunk-clunk sound of the elevator in the parking garage...

Needless to say, he DIDN'T buy it, and we're all still mad at him! :mad:

ALOHA!
Karina

damontucker
July 11th, 2006, 05:37 PM
TuNnL is a handle I've had for nearly a decade now. It started out as TuNnLvIsIoN, but it got humbug to type all of that. It was meant to indicate my frame of thought as I concentrated (especially with so many “distractions”) on graduating from college. Thanks in part to my hoaaloha, mānoasurfer123, I succeeded in that endeavor.

Initially my plan was to own TuNnL. (You can hit me at either TuNnL@netscape.net or TuNnL@yahoo.com.) But I quickly realized there are just too many .whatevers out there. Hey, at least I'm not Glen Miyashiro. He's a veeerrry, booooorring person (according to Frank DeLima). :D
Hey no blame or give credit to me!

I just got you through the basics... you was there long after I graduated!

When one graduates from college...they should give themselves a pat on the back...even if it does take 10 years :p

olivia
July 17th, 2006, 08:41 PM
It is my name - how un-originl is that. But I was named after my father -= oliver which means peace (in Greek?) not sure. I have no cool hawaiian names. Oh well - but thanks for asking.
olivia

kimo55
July 17th, 2006, 08:44 PM
oliver which means peace (in Greek?) not sure.
which brought us the symbol of a dove with an olive branch signifying peace.

tikiyaki
July 17th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Tikiyaki - A sauce for grilling/bbq'ing which I have not perfected yet. Sweet,Sour, tangy, a little spicy.. A Taste that reminds me of the Islands, in that psuedo 1950's Americanized Polynesian Restaurant kind of way.
Also, a combination of 2 things I love...Tikis and food.

Keanu
July 28th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Mine is simple... I used my real name. :)

Erika Engle
July 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM
My mom and dad.

Moto
July 28th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Last 4 letters in my last name.

Pomai
July 28th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Last 4 letters in my last name.O.K., top-of-mind, let me guess the first part...

It's either:

Shige - moto
Hashi ""
Yama ""
Kawa ""
Saka ""
Naka ""
Ishi ""
Take ""
Taka ""

Then you get da' odda' way around...
Moto - Yama
"" - Shige
"" - Kawa

... Surely there are a more variances than that.

alohatim
July 29th, 2006, 07:01 AM
This is a great thread! I have always wondered about you folks with the very interesting names.

I was born during a hurricane named "Donna" that hit the east coast in 1960. That would have been my name if I was a girl. My parents weren't too keen on Donald, so somehow out of the blue they picked Timothy.

When I first heard about gmail, I wanted to snag a simple, easy to remember email name. I chose "AlohaTim" and thought I would used it here too.

kumukulanui
July 29th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Kumukulanui is the nearest I could get to 'university teacher' in Hawaiian. Guess what my job is...

Peter

Moto
July 29th, 2006, 08:01 AM
O.K., top-of-mind, let me guess the first part...

It's either:

Shige - moto
Hashi ""
Yama ""
Kawa ""
Saka ""
Naka ""
Ishi ""
Take ""
Taka ""

Then you get da' odda' way around...
Moto - Yama
"" - Shige
"" - Kawa

... Surely there are a more variances than that.

No, moto is the last four letters in my last name. Mine isn't on your list yet. I'll bet you could spend all day on this and still come up with more names.

Pomai
July 29th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I'll bet you could spend all day on this and still come up with more names.Hmmmm... let me see...

Sugi - Moto
Oma ""
Nomo ""
Kita ""
Tama
Toma
Miya
I
Matsu (Shave Ice!)

Motomoto?

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

I wonder which has more variations: Moto, Hara, Naga, Shita, or Shiro (usually Okinawan)?

As Hawaii Kama'aina, everyone has had classmates (and many teachers!), friends and coworkers with varitions of these names. :)

nachodaddy
July 29th, 2006, 04:00 PM
No, moto is the last four letters in my last name. Mine isn't on your list yet. I'll bet you could spend all day on this and still come up with more names.

I'll take a stab...........

"Ajino"

Erika Engle
July 30th, 2006, 11:12 AM
LOL!!

(Not to make fun of -moto-san, of course ... that just caught me by surprise and made me laugh!)

nachodaddy
July 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM
LOL!!

(Not to make fun of -moto-san, of course ... that just caught me by surprise and made me laugh!)

No offense intended. I am AJA as well. With poor Pomai going through all the possible roots, I thought I would have a little fun. :)

Moto
July 30th, 2006, 02:01 PM
No problem gang. I think it's funny too.

oceanpacific
July 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Plausible story: in my time, there were three major manufacturers of beachwear and other casual clothing: HANG TEN, with the two menehune footprints; CATALINA; and OCEAN PACIFIC. Ocean Pacific is still around and I buy their shirts and shorts at Costco.

The real story: my radio sports talk show "handle" since 1973 was "the Prophet," a title dropped on me by the moderator. This had a little to do with my football predictions. Later, on the internet message boards, other posters tried to horn in on my identity, especially when there was no registration and these turkeys would actually post under other people's handles. There must have been a half-dozen "imposters," so my name became "original prophet," later shortened to "OP." "OP" is also the Ocean Pacific logo on their clothes. Since I wear their stuff, I decided on "oceanpacific" for this venue.

craigwatanabe
July 30th, 2006, 11:18 PM
No problem gang. I think it's funny too.

Fukumoto...Enomoto...Fujimoto...Iwamoto...Morimoto ...Okimoto...Tsukemoto....Kanemoto...Motorola :D

Leo Lakio
July 31st, 2006, 06:36 AM
so my name became "original prophet,"Besides, we've already got a prophet on HT, and since he owns the board, that makes him the original ... pzarquon! (P = Prophet, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galazy" reference.)

Pomai
July 31st, 2006, 08:45 AM
Fukumoto...Enomoto...Fujimoto...Iwamoto...Morimoto ...Okimoto...Tsukemoto....Kanemoto...Motorola :DYou still nevah wen' guess his name. I know, but I not going tell. :p

Speaking of cellphones and Japanese names, I bet most people think Nokia is a Japanese brand. At least I thought so. It sure SOUNDS Japanese. Come to find out, Nokia started in Finland in 1865 as a foresting enterprise and paper manufacturer (http://www.nokia.com/A4126376).

craigwatanabe
July 31st, 2006, 05:46 PM
You still nevah wen' guess his name. I know, but I not going tell. :p

Speaking of cellphones and Japanese names, I bet most people think Nokia is a Japanese brand. At least I thought so. It sure SOUNDS Japanese. Come to find out, Nokia started in Finland in 1865 as a foresting enterprise and paper manufacturer (http://www.nokia.com/A4126376).

And to think it was a protest slogan for no South Korean cars: No Kia's No Kia's...

Araimoto...Fordomoto...Chevymoto...Moparomoto...In okeamoto...

hmmm that was interesting...Inokeamoto...looks okay here but above the text puts a space between Ino and keamoto...Inokeamoto...

oceanpacific
August 1st, 2006, 10:38 AM
Sounds like "MOTO-mania" is the order of the day.

FUJIMOTO ====> MOTOFUJI
ISHIMOTO ====> MOTOISHI
KAWAMOTO ===> MOTOKAWA
KANEMOTO ===> MOTOKANE
OKAMOTO ====> MOTOOKA
SUEMOTO ====> MOTOSUE
SHIGEMOTO ===> MOTOSHIGE
WAKAMOTO ===> MOTOWAKA
WAKIMOTO ====> MOTOWAKI
YAMAMOTO ===> MOTOYAMA

AKIMOTO
ARIMOTO
EMOTO
ENOMOTO
FUKUMOTO
FURUMOTO
HASHIMOTO
HIRAMOTO
HORIMOTO
IMAMOTO
IMOTO
IWAMOTO
KURAMOTO
MARUMOTO
MATSUMOTO
MICHIMOTO
MIYAMOTO
MORIMOTO
MOTODA
MURAMOTO
MUROMOTO
NAKAMOTO
NISHIMOTO
OKIMOTO
SAKAMOTO
SAKIMOTO
SUGIMOTO
SUMIMOTO
TAKAMOTO
TAKEMOTO
TAKIMOTO
TANAMOTO
TSUJIMOTO
YONEMOTO
YOSHIMOTO

Feels like "Japanese Roll Call."

Erika Engle
August 1st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Remember Aloha-Motos ... on, what, Kapiolani, right?

(Yes, it was Aloha Motors ... but you hear the local-kine pronunciation, yeah?)

oceanpacific
August 1st, 2006, 05:05 PM
A long time ago, there was a Hilo restaurant located on the bayfront area called MOTO INN. It was washed away in the 1960 tsunami.

1stwahine
August 1st, 2006, 05:33 PM
A long time ago, there was a Hilo restaurant located on the bayfront area called MOTO INN. It was washed away in the 1960 tsunami.

Leave Moto alone. It's getting stale. :rolleyes:

Auntie Lynn

Moto
August 2nd, 2006, 05:40 AM
Leave Moto alone. It's getting stale. :rolleyes:

Auntie Lynn

Thanks Auntie Lynn, however, I am enjoying this too. Some of the posts are funny.

1stwahine
August 2nd, 2006, 05:43 AM
Thanks Auntie Lynn, however, I am enjoying this too. Some of the posts are funny.

Ok. If it's fine with you. You have a good sense of humor! Bravo! :D

Auntie Lynn

Martina
August 3rd, 2006, 07:18 AM
Hi,

Through my dearest friend, I got it. Really it's nice. I never forget it.

:) :)

koloagirl
August 5th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Simple kine!! I live in Koloa!!

Malama Pono,

J.R.

diegorob
August 9th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Ive had this name since 1993 on a AOL account. Oh how far the internet has come since then!

kaipo
August 9th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Kaipo is my middle name, but it's what my family and friends call me back home. Here in the states I'm stuck going by my mundane first name....

kimo55
August 9th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Ive had this name since 1993 on a AOL account. Oh how far the internet has come since then!
yea. i remember when aol was about the only game in town.
those were the archaic "good ol days."

blueyecicle
August 9th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I have had my nick for years since 95 when I first got internet.
People said I was an icy B***H and I have blue eyes. It began blueicicle, then evolved to blueyeicle...pretty basic. Then found HT and kept it because no one else had it! :D

diegorob
August 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM
yaah! it was a blast, i remember staying up till 4am and having to go to work at 7am... :D

Leo Lakio
August 9th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Here in the states....uh-oh......... :eek:

kimo55
August 9th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I remember taking a web site devel. class which was free when you get internet access. this was in mid/early nineties. Dude said;

ok, as soon as you launch or post your web site, you will have people looking at it. and you will see your counter uptick. and some may send you a message electronically.
i thot. cool! and sure enuff, people would email and say "wow cool, love your site!" cuz there were so few web sites back in the day. and people were hungry for "content" and to explore this brave new world...

kimo55
August 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM
uh-oh......... :eek:
ya think about it

here in the states
is perfectly appropriate. It is a plurality. we are no a plurality.

Leo Lakio
August 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM
ya think about it
here in the states
is perfectly appropriate. It is a plurality. we are no a plurality.No need to think about it again - we've done so in many other threads, and I know exactly what you are saying. I was surprised no one else had made note of it yet, on one side of the coin or another...or another...or...well, you know this coin; it has more than two simple sides.

kaipo
August 9th, 2006, 11:13 AM
*removing foot from mouth*...didn't even think of it like that. LOL.

Leo Lakio
August 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM
*removing foot from mouth*...didn't even think of it like that. LOL.Don't worry. It's an interesting point of discussion many times over. Some people get huffy: "Hawai`i IS in the States, you know." Some people counter: "True, but it shouldn't be" or "Yeah...illegally."

Then there's a very large middle ground, emphasizing "yes, technically it is, but the distinct and unique characteristics of the location, the cultures, the Hawaiian Nation, the history, etc., mean it is IN the States, but it ain't OF the States" (or some similar variation that says "we'd be happier if you DIDN'T include us, thank you very much.")

Either way, it's good to be conscious of it. There's another thread where I asked people to suggest alternatives to saying "the mainland." Some creative thinkers provided responses there.
we ARE a "state", sure.
physically, we aren't "in the states". and that is what people are doing when they say "here in the states," they are saying
here on the mainland.
most, I don't think, aren't saying
"HERE in this unique land of America which you natives know so little about..."Yeah. What he said.

kimo55
August 9th, 2006, 11:30 AM
we ARE a "state", sure.
physically, we aren't "in the states". and that is what people are doing when they say "here in the states," they are saying
here on the mainland.
most, I don't think, aren't saying
"HERE in this unique land of America which you natives know so little about..."

Caliguy
August 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM
This is an easy one....I currently live in California,so i'm Caliguy :-)

Leo Lakio
August 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM
This is an easy one....I currently live in California,so i'm Caliguy :-)
Welcome, Caliguy. Judging from your other posts, you are from Guam, yes? How long did you live there, and how long have you been away?

Hellbent
August 18th, 2006, 11:55 PM
In another life, I was an artist. Me and a friend were going to draw comic books and I invented a story and character and everything, his name was Hellbent. Ive used it online alot. Once I flew to Canadia and some online friends were there to pick me up. The sign said "Hellbent". I wonder what kind of looks they got.

Also see my sig. I'm not a satanist, I dont have any extraspecial urge for leather, and I didnt play a game called Hellbender. Friends have commented on my focus and intensity when I do a project.

christa
September 7th, 2006, 06:41 AM
hello everyone. was referred here by ryan ozawa and have been lurking for a while. anyway, ever since "the internet" i've had a hard time choosing a handle or username and always wind up just using my name.

*sigh*

anyway, hello hawaiithreads. nice to hear you have such a strong voice. i'm listening!

christa1

Fat Jeff
September 7th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I've been Fat Jeff on the MTBR.com boards for years now. It's a twist on "Fat Mike" the singer/bassist from NOFX & Me First & the Gimme Gimmes. It's also a pretty good description of me...I'm Jeff, & I'm fat. It works, and too many times on other sign in situations my 1st choice of "Captain Obvious" is usually taken.

kumukulanui
September 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Funny to be reminiscing about 1993! 'Back then' I was using a FirstClass client to access that little bit of the internet called OneNet. I'm slightly surprised they both still exist. Anyway, I just used my given name back then and pitied those on aol who could only use numbers.

Peter Forster
Cheltenham

haupialani
September 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM
my first exposure to Hawaiian cuisine was way back in February 1994 at a training camp in Koke'e.One night our Hawaiian chef,who was also one of our kumus, served up a huge dish of white jellylike dessert - you just cut off what you want and come back for more if there is any left.
Being haole from far away australia,every taste of hawaiian food was a taste sensation,but this Haupia as it was called,was like I had died and gone to heaven!
So when I got internet,it was easy to make up a name.(" nobody tink o' dat name ,brah").
Haupia is still my dessert of choice, especially with lilikoi.

Got2HaVKaYaNoW
September 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Thats easy,
* KaYa's my name & i love Bob Marley! KAYA ~ ofcourse, is my favorite song from the late artist, check this out:
KAYA (http://www.bobmarley.com/albums/kaya/)

That song speaks for me, luv the Kaya! <~ used orange, cuz no can see yellow

KAYA LYRICS (http://www.bobmarley.com/songs/songs.cgi?kaya)

Just the perfect description of my day*

hawaiidreamin
September 12th, 2006, 07:39 AM
It's what I spend a lot of time doing- :)

achow
September 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Its my first letter of my first name plus my last name

DannyWilliams
January 31st, 2007, 02:34 AM
Who was SteveMcGarretts right hand man in Hawaii Five-O?

I rest my case :D

1stwahine
January 31st, 2007, 05:54 AM
Who was SteveMcGarretts right hand man in Hawaii Five-O?

I rest my case :D

Da Chinese Guy!:p

Nah, nah...joke! HAHAHAHAHA

You made me SMILE dis morning!!!:D

Auntie Lynn

modpirate
January 31st, 2007, 06:39 PM
I'm modern and I like pirates.

kalihibow
February 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Born and raised in Kalihi Valley. Alumni of UH-Manoa and avid "Rainbow" fan...now known as "Warriors."

akrauth
February 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Let's just say it sort of comes from my inoa.

makepagirl
February 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM
it's our ohana's name..my grandma luka's granddad was john makepa kamauoha, but his son(her dad) was samuel (kamuela) makepa..it's my dad, brother & nephew's name too..much easier with geneaolgy sites too..since using it,i've been found by my grandma's uncles descendants on line..2 sent me messages here on hawaiithreads!! also grandma's hanai daughter who's been away from hawaii over 40 yrs..sooo..it's pretty special to me..

Ecntrc
February 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Ive had it for a few years now. My personal site is Ecntrc Beauty.
Basically. When I think of myself, I personally think I am 'weird or abnormal' odd personality, Beauty just because I love the word beauty.

Thats easy,
* KaYa's my name & i love Bob Marley! KAYA ~ ofcourse, is my favorite song from the late artist, check this out:
KAYA (http://www.bobmarley.com/albums/kaya/)

That song speaks for me, luv the Kaya! <~ used orange, cuz no can see yellow

KAYA LYRICS (http://www.bobmarley.com/songs/songs.cgi?kaya)

Just the perfect description of my day*

i love this song.. haoles look at me kinda funny when im poundin this song up here.. like um whats kaya? lol. mean. nice name.

808shooter
February 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM
funny funny stuff.

I used to telemarket a lot. A buddy of mine used to joke all the time that he should start telling folks that his last name was Kassamoto. His last name was Kass. Used to crack me up.

My handle is pretty boring. I liked to shoot stuff and I'm from Hawaii.

Bo-ring.

ploal5333
June 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I combined the initials & address number of the 3 places I've lived at since moving out of my parents home.

cynsaligia
June 27th, 2007, 06:58 PM
initially, my beau, eric (not his real name) and i (cyn; not my real name) came across HT bcs of the food thread and we thought i/he/we would rarely ever post and if we did, twould be on the foodstuff, hence eric n cyn.

then i got addicted on my own.

and eric, while he does share certain opinions with me (no relationship lasts long if the two don't share a number of core values, like oh....honking at selfish, errant, and oblivious drivers), he has a depth of knowledge in subjects i have clue near-zero about (real estate, cars, computer and geek tech).

but he has nothing on me as to the difference between full coverage v. sheer foundation v. tinted moisturizer nor can he remember for the life of him what CABG is besides something green, often eaten with corned beef or used as garnish under fried fish.

you'll never get us to tell how we came up with "eric" and "cyn" tho. a few of you know us in real life, and some of you don't even know it! :D

sophielynette
June 27th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Coined it back in seventh grade when I was in a whole french/romantic kick and it just sort of stuck. Oddly enough, I have always gotten first dibs on the name no matter where I sign up. No other sophielynettes floating around at all.

I love it when people tell me, "Hey, my aunt's dog is named Sophie!" or "That's a cat name."

Then again, my glassblowing teacher named his daughter Sophie, after a soffieta, a tool used in glassblowing.. so I can either be a dog, or a tool..

foxyfox31
June 28th, 2007, 03:53 AM
My husband used to call me a foxy fox when we first started dating. The 31 has no significance really. I added the 31 because most times when I try to use this name to log in to stuff, foxyfox is already taken. :)

I lucked out. I almost ended up with Nitro in college. My friends wanted to nickname someone Nitro for some reason that escapes me still. Another friend ended up with it. She is still called it to this day. I'm too calm to be called that anyhow ;)

acousticlady
June 29th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I chose acousticlady because it is an accurate description of me. I do acoustics and I'm a lady (one of the very few in acoustics) I actually had a hard time picking a name. I was worried the other names I could think of that accurately described me would come across in the wrong way - "beachbaby" - cause I'm born and bred....... "Aunt Jill" - cause I'm called that by many....... "waverider" - cause I do and I study all kinds of waves (ocean, sound, light, particle......)

Leo Lakio
June 29th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I do acoustics and I'm a lady (one of the very few in acoustics)Here's to you being part of a changing dynamic. Several of the best audio engineers I've known are women, here in Seattle and in Vancouver BC. A glass ceiling that can be shattered by sound waves!

TATTRAT
June 29th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Tatt for tattoos, I have many. Rat cause it rhymed. Nothing special.

DaFerret
June 29th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I'm a ferret IRL. My avatar's just a disguise.

Lei K
June 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM
it's our ohana's name..my grandma luka's granddad was john makepa kamauoha, but his son(her dad) was samuel (kamuela) makepa..it's my dad, brother & nephew's name too..much easier with geneaolgy sites too..since using it,i've been found by my grandma's uncles descendants on line..2 sent me messages here on hawaiithreads!! also grandma's hanai daughter who's been away from hawaii over 40 yrs..sooo..it's pretty special to me..

I just barely read all of this but I got to say I have confusing name issues with one line of my Hawaiian 'ohana which is the line I research the most because they are elusive. lol. They liked to ditch last names, then the middle name becomes the last name for the next generation. It's confusing. Why did they do that? Was it common? Never heard any family gossip about it. *looks through cyberspace for Pua'i to kokua* :p I have some kanaka family who did that as recent as the early 1900s.

THEN when I get waaay back in da day (1700s and early 1800s) I get 3 different spellings on one surname and two different locations they came from, but same makua and keiki, same birth dates, birth order, etc., what is up with that?

Among my most confusing is one line that ends (no other information) with the inoa Uha or Aa or Uiha and they are either from Kahuku, O'ahu or Waiehu, Maui. LDS paperwork and my other sources of information no can make up their minds. I won't give up on that elusive branch of my family though, I will find out the correct inoa yet. :D

I love that you have been contacted by random family members, it's happened to me as well. I've had lurking family on HT recognize the family names I put out there. I've been PM'ed with, "Eh, I your cousin?" We compare notes and so far all have been related. The islands are already so close it's like maybe 3 degrees of seperation, add Hawaiian ancestry to that and it's like 1 degree or less. :D

It's nice to find that one gem in your family who knows everything you could ever dream of finding out. I found that gem (through the LDS church) related to me through one line that I knew nothing about past being from Kahuku side (eh, I get plenty Kahuku/Waialua/Laie family, lol). Come to find out that part of my family hails from Ni'ihau. The reason I didn't find her previously is because she had my great x2 tutu's name spelt wrong on her paperwork and it didn't come up on search. The mistake was as simple as her using two a's on the first part of her name instead of 2 o's. Now I got so much information about that side it amazes me. Hawaiian ancestry research is interesting, you find a lot of yourself and who you are through it.

MonkeyMan
June 29th, 2007, 12:48 PM
MonkeyMan from the Rolling Stones... that and I call my kid "Monkey Boy" all the time. :D

GeckoGeek
June 30th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I just barely read all of this but I got to say I have confusing name issues with one line of my Hawaiian 'ohana which is the line I research the most because they are elusive. lol. They liked to ditch last names, then the middle name becomes the last name for the next generation. It's confusing. Why did they do that? Was it common? Never heard any family gossip about it.

I don't know about Hawaiians, but I've heard that back in old Tonga they they'd change their name to signify that they are a changed person.

In traditional western culture, a woman changes her name when she marries. In some Christan sects, the members take upon them the name of Christ when they are baptized. You can read in the Old Testament that God changed the name of Abram and Sarai to Abraham and Sarah. Those are just examples from another culture, but they illustrate the concept - the person's status has changed. I don't know of what kinds of events would prompt the change. You'd have to ask around some more.

Then there are hanai adoptions. That could play a part in this.

GeckoGeek
June 30th, 2007, 11:11 AM
As for my HT name? I came here because of the Geocaching sub-board. My GPS is a Garmin Geko. So, being the engineer I am, and lacking any real orginality.......

Pomai
June 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM
In traditional western culture, a woman changes her name when she marries. I've got two female relatives who recently became a doctor. One in pharmacy, the other in gynecology. One is about to get married, the other already married. Both are using/will use their MAIDEN last name for their professional practice. "Dr. MaidenLastName", while in their private life they use/will use their married name.

craigwatanabe
June 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Tatt for tattoos, I have many. Rat cause it rhymed. Nothing special.

Love the one on your face...looks like eggs:rolleyes: :D

TATTRAT
June 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM
craigwatanabe,

howsa bout this one?:D

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/TATTRAT/foodtatt.jpg

that is NOT me, just another egg man,lol

Pomai
June 30th, 2007, 09:29 PM
that is NOT me, just another egg man,lolSo, if you broke that egg over his head to make that, would you call him a CRACK HEAD? :p

Sharmagne
July 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
I am brand new at this, I got my computer for Christmas a year ago and the grandkids are teaching me how to use it. So I just came up with my name. I love being a grandma, "Tutu" and I am from South Carolina. Because I lived in Hawaii 7 years I cheat and call myself "Tutu". I am a wantabe.........

Aloha Tutu,

In my Native American culture we call a "wannabee" a Twinkle Bunny!

OH!! How rude of me! I haven't introduced myself!

I am brand new here.

And my HTC name is my own name!

Sharmagne

I live in Southern California and Arlington, Washington...

Sharmagne
July 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
craigwatanabe,

that is NOT me, just another egg man,lol

I am the Walrus! Koo Koo Ka Chu!

Beau
July 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I was urged by someone to register to this site, and while I was doing that I was thinking what should my user name be? I looked at my cat whose name is Beauregard, and decided to use the abbreviated name I usually call him which is Beau.:D

Wanderlust
July 5th, 2007, 07:42 AM
i love to travel. can't stay put for too long.

ItsGoTime!
July 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I am moving to Hawai'i later this year, and I am very, very anxious to get there. Unfortunately I have to wait for a few things to fall into place, but I've been making as many preps as possible. For me, "It's Go Time!" which is also an homage to the phrase made famous by the "Seinfeld" TV show. Well, maybe not famous, but that's where I heard it first.

Pomai
July 5th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I am moving to Hawai'i later this year, and I am very, very anxious to get there. Unfortunately I have to wait for a few things to fall into place, but I've been making as many preps as possible. Perhaps when you do arrive here, you can change your avatar to this!...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1068/730349269_f0d59cc557_o.jpg (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/135/323199790_3cec259f7d.jpg)

ItsGoTime!
July 6th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Perhaps when you do arrive here, you can change your avatar to this!...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1068/730349269_f0d59cc557_o.jpg (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/135/323199790_3cec259f7d.jpg)

Will do. And it's got 25% less sodium. The healthy Spam.

Leo Lakio
July 6th, 2007, 06:45 AM
And it's got 25% less sodium. The healthy Spam.As Kermet Apio says about low-sodium Spam: "Spam without salt is ... clay!"

NiuBoy
July 9th, 2007, 04:54 PM
When I was growing up there was always some kid, often more than one, who was called something-boy. I was raised in East O'ahu's Niu Valley and I am a male. So, in a kind of tongue-in-cheek homage to local naming practices and my place of origin and my sex I chose to call myself NiuBoy.

Aloha,

NiuBoy

Konaguy
July 9th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm from Kona and I'm a guy :)

Jake's Ohana
July 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I was dubbed by my ohana with the nickname, Jake. Originally, I am a junior, so, my family and friends would refer to me as J, JR, or simply Jake.

Karen
July 9th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Mom gave it to me. I guess I shoulda been creative and chosen a nick. I know....I can reregister as "chick without a nick." LOL okay, okay, I'll hush. :eek:

StephS
July 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Mine's just the short form of my first name, with my last name initial. Boring, huh?

Oolongcha
July 31st, 2007, 08:58 PM
I love oolong tea (cha is japanese for tea). It's the simplicity of it.

Kalihiboy
September 1st, 2007, 03:57 AM
Was originally Makikiboy, but since I moved to Kalihi, had to change the name...
and just a second, let me check, oh yes I'm a boy too!

Aj

MatildaRose
September 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM
OK. It was 1971 at a party...bunch of us less-than-sober idiots were singing "Waltzing Matilda." (Don't remember if there was an Aussie in the gang, or not.) My poison for the evening was wine -- rose (can't put the thingy over the "e" here). A guy who claimed to hypnotize people tried to hypnotize me. He said, "When I count to 3, you'll "wake up" and yell your name as loud as you can. Naturally, at the count of 3, I yelled: Matilda Rose! Go figure...:D

*pinao*
September 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I thought I had posted here already.. oh well..
Pinao means dragonfly. Ive always loved them.. because they only live for one day.. and if you believe in rebirth.. then they born again the next day. And yeah.. I try to live in the day and dragonfly kind of represents that in a way.. also I think pinao is a pretty word..

infinitypro
September 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
A few years ago we began designing and creating for weddings, birthday parties, events, etc. And well needed a name, since we have commited to each other forever we came up with INFINITY and since we 'produce', it became PRODUCTIONS.

INFINITY PRODUCTIONS is a fusion of two souls, complimented by two more. :)

Altivec
September 4th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I've used this on various boards and IRC, circa '98

Kalei99
September 5th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Kalei was alrady taken...so I added the 99.....for "99 bottle's of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer...." Now everybody sing! "you take one down...." :cool:

infinitypro
September 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Kalei was alrady taken...so I added the 99.....for "99 bottle's of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer...." Now everybody sing! "you take one down...." :cool:

...pass it 'round, 98 bottles of beer on the wall. :p

calixmeusinebrians
September 13th, 2007, 09:02 AM

So where'd you get yours? CALIX MEUS INEBRIANS....."FROM THE CHALICE OF MY BEING... DO I DRINK TILL I'M DRUNK, ON THE WINE OF MINE OWN SOUL"

Leo Lakio
September 13th, 2007, 11:35 AM
CALIX MEUS INEBRIANS....."FROM THE CHALICE OF MY BEING... DO I DRINK TILL I'M DRUNK, ON THE WINE OF MINE OWN SOUL"...quam praeclarus est!

LikaNui
September 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I just now noticed that our newest member's screen name is pfizer viagra. :p
(I'm hoping that's a real person and not someone just here to spam us with ads.)

I happened to see part of a routine by Larry The Cable Guy the other day, and he was talking about Viagra and Cialis, and about their ads talking about having a stiffie (as the Australians call it) for four hours.
Larry said "Four hours?! What do you do with the other 3 hours and 56 minutes?"
:p

Leo Lakio
September 25th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I just now noticed that our newest member's screen name is pfizer viagra. :p
(I'm hoping that's a real person and not someone just here to spam us with ads.)
Where did you see that? They aren't listed amongst the Members - so your concern may have been f'real.

LikaNui
September 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Where did you see that? They aren't listed amongst the Members - so your concern may have been f'real. I saw it at the bottom of the main page, mere moments before my earlier post. It was in the section (right above Today's Birthdays) that right at this moment includes this:

Threads: 9,512, Posts: 160,316, Members: 5,864
Welcome to our newest member, bayani
So perhaps Pfizer Viagra changed their screen name to Bayani, or perhaps it just takes a little while for a new member to appear on the Members List, or... well, I dunno what other "or" there might be. Mayhaps a moderator can 'splain it to us, Lucy?

And in any event, don'tcha all kinda wonder what Pfizer Viagra's avatar would be?!? :eek:

:p

Leo Lakio
September 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Oh, cool. Maybe it shows up there when they first register, but not on the main list until Ryan approves them. Or never, if he axes them.

And in any event, don'tcha all kinda wonder what Pfizer Viagra's avatar would be?!? :eek: I'm sure they will be up to the challenge, no matter what.

LikaNui
September 26th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Well, I still don't see "Pfizer Viagra" on the members list (just now checked, out of idle curiosity), but in looking at the bottom of the home page just now I find this:

HawaiiThreads.com Statistics
Threads: 9,518, Posts: 160,470, Members: 5,873
Welcome to our newest member, Buy levitra

Are the pharmaceutical companies raiding HT or what?!? :eek:

Leo Lakio
September 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Are the pharmaceutical companies raiding HT or what?!? And do they realize that "spam" has a very special meaning to those with connections to Hawai`i?

kanahina
September 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm new here. Just wanted to say thanks to Ryan for letting me in the group (finally!):D

My HT name: kanahina, is just my two kids names cut short and stuck together... My son is Makana and my daughter is Mahina... Makana = kana, Mahina = hina... thus: kanahina

I like it because it's unique and is usually available (but not always - which i find strange) when i need to have a screen name for something.

infinitypro
September 29th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm new here. Just wanted to say thanks to Ryan for letting me in the group (finally!):D

My HT name: kanahina, is just my two kids names cut short and stuck together... My son is Makana and my daughter is Mahina... Makana = kana, Mahina = hina... thus: kanahina

I like it because it's unique and is usually available (but not always - which i find strange) when i need to have a screen name for something.

Welcome to HT!