printers that fax (4 in 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printers that fax (4 in 1)

Does anyone know if those multi function printers (print/copy/scan/fax) can fax as a stand alone?

What I mean by that is will it function and receive faxes even when the computer is turned off or even not connected. I know the printer has to be on to receive faxes but I'm wondering about the computer also having to be on.

I need to find out as I'm trying to clear the clutter by eliminating the old fax machine entirely and replacing the printer with one that does it all. My concern is that I don't want to leave the computer on all the time even while I'm away to receive faxes.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: printers that fax (4 in 1)

I've been looking at multifunction printers, too, especially the ones with both color scanning and laser printing. (I want a b&w laser printer in the house, and for color printing I use a separate inkjet.) The HP 3000 line is catching my eye at the moment. According to PC Magazine, it sounds like they are able to function as standalone fax machines. Don't know about the other brands.

Comment

Multifunction units got a bad rep for "doing many things, none of them well," but they've been performing really well lately. I was a holdout for years, figuring I wanted a good printer and a good scanner and a good fax machine... but, well, I also value my desk space.

I ended up with a HP 6110, which prints, scans (with ADF) and faxes. I love it. Glossy photo prints come out great, the scans are sharp, the ADF is a lifesaver (with separate OCR), and yes, I can fax from it without involving the PC in any way.

Costco carries a newer, higher-end unit (7000 instead of 6000), now for about $80 less than what I paid for mine. Check it out.

Comment

Surely the sales brochures would tell you if they'll function that way?

When I worked at my client's home in Palolo he had a Brother all-in-one, and his computer setup was a laptop which he took with him on the road. When the machine was absent the machine still received faxes with no trouble.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
        X