https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

I was able to get my free credit report from Experian and
    Equifax online. For some reason I was unable to get my
    Trans Union credit report online. I had to call up the 1-800
    number to request it.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Free Credit Report

For once, Hawaii is among the states to get something first. This is a good thing, a rare pro-consumer act by government, and something I'd encourage everyone to take advantage of.

Now, contrary to some reports (including KHON), you can get your credit report for free, but not neccessarily your credit score -- created with super-secret algorithms to summarize your worth as a consumer in one simple number. To see that, you'll have to subscribe to the credit bureau's premium service.

But since your score is based on the information in the report, having only accurate information included is the most important thing.

For better or worse (mostly worse), your credit record affects your access to some of the most fundamental aspects of modern life, from employment to housing to financial assistance. I actually pay for Experian access and am conscientious about my credit, after my wife and I struggled out of the typical college debt mess and after I found a black mark on my credit report for an account I never even had.

Comment

Definitely worth checking on every now and then. A friend of mine had his credit go down the toilet because of someone else who had almost exactly the same name, whose poor-credit records had become confused with his. It took months to untangle.

Comment

It's also worth considering one of those credit report monitoring services. The service sends you an email when it detects any changes to your credit report. Some providers are a little pricey, but if you are a member of credit union, you can use that service at a much cheaper price.

The service has been working great for me. I watch that stuff like a hawk.

Comment

Working...
        X