The perils of living in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perils of living in Hawaii

I wanted a 128mb thumb drive, and I only have $20 in my debit card. I proceeded to complete the order, but then I got hit with a massive shipping/handling:

:doh: :doh: At least we have good weather 340 days a year. (there was some showers that caused flooding here, but atleast we have boats).
    Last edited by admin; December 4, 2004, 08:50 PM. Reason: Reduced image size. No wider/taller than 400 pixels, please.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: The perils of living in Hawaii

I share your pain Adrian, I too today went online to NewEgg.com to purchase a PCI Fax/Modem card for $5.65. After shipping and handline (FedEx 2nd day only to Hawaii) the total came out to just over $25.00.

When you buy from New Egg you should combine purchases as the "handling" portion goes down significantly. Some of their deals are really good though. I just purchased from them yesterday a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz socket 478 processor, soyo motherboard combo for $110. That's cheaper than the processor itself! Along with that 512mb of Roswill DDR3300 182-pin memory modules (2) for $20 after rebates, a Mitsumi 52x CD-RW/DVD combo drive for $38, Maxtor 80gb ATA/133 7200rpm hard drive for $55 and 256mb of DDR3300 ram for my boy's Dell Laptop computer for $36.

For comparison I tried buying everything separately then again as one order. The difference in "Handling" charges amounted to a savings of over $80 when combining your order. I just forgot to order the fax/modem card so I'm waiting to combine another order for another build.

But one good thing about NewEgg.com is I should be expecting the order to arrive at my doorstep Monday morning when FedEx arrives as they have done so on Friday afternoon orders.

I know I need the modem card so I'll probably eat the handling charge but I'm so tempted to get that 15" CTX LCD flat panel display for $195 (no rebates) they've been advertising as their daily special that's been going on for the last three days.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...103-167&DEPA=1

to combine orders and lower my overall shipping and handling costs.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; December 4, 2004, 08:31 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Please remember when posting images to use thumbnails for large images (wider/taller than 400 pixels) and to pull images only from servers you control. Other tips here. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        <snip> 512mb of Roswill DDR3300 </snip>
        Don't you mean 3200 RAM?
        (sorry, I had to do that.)

Comment

Nope it's actually DDR333 which is PC2700.

After posting that thread I ended up buying a higher priced 17" LCD monitor for $257.40, no rebates plus a cheap 56k ver 92 fax modem card for $5.67. The total with shipping and handling came out to $300.05

NU QL-711V 17" LCD Monitor with Speakers -RETAIL

Model# QL-711V
          Item # N82E16824198001

Specifications:
          Panel Type: TFT Active Matrix LCD
          Native Resolution: 1280 x 1024
          Pixel Pitch: 0.264 mm
          Brightness: 320 cd/m2
          Contrast Ratio: 500:1
          Response Time: 16 ms
          View Angle: 160° / 135° (Horizontal / Vertical)
          Input Connectors: 15-pin D-sub
          Features: Built-in 2 x 1W Speakers
          Dimensions & Weight: 15.7" × 15.9" × 7.5" (W x H x D), 9.0 lbs

Isn't a 3200 RAM a Dodge pickup truck?
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; December 5, 2004, 06:09 PM.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Nope it's actually DDR333 which is PC2700.
            <snip>
            Oh. The extra digits threw me off.

Isn't a 3200 RAM a Dodge pickup truck?
            I have no idea.

Comment

Working...
            X