Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Music Grammy Nominees

Field 14 - Folk
    Category 69 - Best Hawaiian Music Album (Vocal or Instrumental)
    • Some Call It Aloha...Don't Tell
      The Brothers Cazimero
      [Mountain Apple Company]
    • Amy & Willie Live
      Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom & Willie K
      [Blind Man Sound]
    • Cool Elevation
      Ho'okena
      [Ho'omau Inc.]
    • Ke`alaokamaile
      Keali`i Reichel
      [Punahele Productions]
    • Slack Key Guitar Volume 2
      Various Artists
      Charles Michael Brotman, producer
      [Palm Records]

Re: Hawaiian Music Grammy Nominees

Who like bet that Keali'i going take the Award? He's just so awesome!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Isle musicians hail Hawaiian Grammy as win for all
      Associated Press/Honolulu Star-Bulletin, December 8, 2004
      Hawaiian albums were already eligible for Grammys, primarily through the traditional folk and contemporary folk awards. The individual category gives it a new level of exposure, and state officials are optimistic about the doors it may open. "What it is, it draws attention," [Jon de Mello] said. "Whoever really gets this award, all five of them won it."

Comment

>> The individual category gives it a new level of exposure, and state officials are optimistic about the doors it may open. "What it is, it draws attention," [Jon de Mello] said. <<

In the last 24 hours I've read and heard a lot about the "exposure" that Hawaiian music would receive. Unfortunately -- and sadly -- I think those hopes are waaaaay too optimistic.
        The Grammy Awards broadcast will not air the award for Hawaiian music, as there simply isn't enough time for the countless minor categories. (Remember that the Hawaiian category is a sub-category under the Folk Music heading, which in itself never gets announced.) Most of these get relegated to an extremely brief mention or scroll (if at all) as they break for commercial, and even then over half of the categories never get mentioned at all. Ditto for the results posted in newspapers the following day, where they only print the major categories. So, while I personally think it's great that we got our own category in the Grammy's, exactly where do they think this "exposure" will come from?
        Last edited by LikaNui; December 8, 2004, 08:15 AM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'll be very, very surprised if Reichel doesn't get the award (even though I've not heard any of the nominated CDs).

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            >> So, while I personally think it's great that we got our own category in the Grammy's, exactly where do they think this "exposure" will come from?
            Yea, that's true, but if the record company knows what their doing they will spin - it - up in the local media and be able to re-ship the product with "Ta-Da" for winning a Grammy.

TY

Comment

Hawaiian Music Grammy Nominees More Info

We've been following the development of the Hawaiian Catagory for Grammy acceptancd and even attended meetings here in Seattle at the NW chapter in charge. Let me tell you it did get heated every so often. This expression was heard a lot "Music is the carrier of aloha."

I welcome you to read our continuous coverage at
              http://www.dannycouchfanaddicts.com/grammys.htm

Best Hawaiian Music Album (Vocal or Instrumental.) is a reality for The 47th Annual Grammy Awards being held on February 13, '05 9pmET on CBS

Sunday, February 13
              47th Annual GRAMMY Awards Pre-Telecast Ceremony Los Angeles Convention Center Los Angeles, Calif.
              1:30 p.m.

Hawaiian is in it's OWN catagory, not World and not Latino as first anticipated.
              There is nothing final about the demise of the Hawaiian Na Hoku Hanohano Awards (it was discussed at several meetings) but the acceptance into the Grammys were fought over for years a 15-year effort to get the music industry's most prestigious ceremony to recognize Hawaiian recordings to no avail until this year. The thinking is perhaps this may help to bring Hawaiian Music to the general public (nationwide and worldwide) and the exposure will be the best thing for island music. The Hokus are a marvelous recognition but all the artists know the Grammy is prestegious and usually money generating. It will definately help the local music industry.
              Grammys are considered the most coveted of the many contemporary music awards. Despite the honor the awards carry and the ratings success of the awards show, many industry insiders consider the Grammys to be merely a reflection of mainstream commercial success.

www.dannycouchfanaddicts.com/grammys.htm

www.dannycouchfanaddicts.com

Comment

Originally posted by dcfanaddicts
                Hawaiian is in it's OWN catagory, not World and not Latino as first anticipated.
                I think you might have it a little confused. Hawaiian certainly has its own category, but it's under an existing field. Even on your own website it quotes NARAS and some local media as saying "New categories also were added in existing fields: in the Dance field for Best Electronic/Dance Album; in Gospel for Best Gospel Performance (for singles or tracks with Gospel lyrics); and in Folk, for Best Hawaiian Music Album."
                So the only difference is that it's under Folk Music, instead of under World or Latino music.
                And since there are 107 categories, it still comes back to facing the fact that Hawaiian music won't get mentioned on the broadcast and won't be listed in media reports the next day, except for our local media here, of course.
                I think it's nice that we're in the Grammys, but I have yet to see how it will give us much national and international exposure.
                Now, if Willie K or Da Caz or Keali`i were asked to perform on the broadcast, then we'd have something!

Comment

What I can't figure out is why a compilation disc got nominated? I mean, this being the very first time, couldn't we come up with a better candidate than "Slack Key Guitar Volume 2 , Various Artists"

Shouldn't this award be more about a release by a specific artist? What's next? Grammy Nominated "K-Tel Hawaiian In A Bottle -- The Top 1,000 Hawaiian Hits of All Time"?

I mean, no knock on the Slack Key CD. I even own and like very much Volume 1, but I don't think a compilation should be considered very seriously for a GRAMMY.

Anybody?
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

The Grammys are basically a three hour infomercial for the music biz. It has little to do with true artistry or musical achievement. It gets people who don't frequent record stores to go out and shop and buy music that "must be good because it just won a Grammy". Even if it's not the case.

Comment

Being it's a new catagory all on it's own for the first time, the Grammy folks may do what they did when Native American music got a catagory. Give a showcase for the opening year and then religate the awards to some footnote someplace from then on.

Comment

All the nominees are WINNA'S! Personally, however my vote would go for Shh, Don't tell, it's Aloha...THE BRADDAH CAZ DUO! Way to go Robert and Roland!

1stwahine
                        Aunty Lynn of Chinatown!
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; December 21, 2004, 05:44 PM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                          What I can't figure out is why a compilation disc got nominated?
                          Because the name of the category doesn't limit the scope to "by a Duo or Group", "by a Male Artist" or "by a Female Artist".

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          I think it's nice that we're in the Grammys, but I have yet to see how it will give us much national and international exposure.
                          The category may not give mass exposure to Hawaiian music, but for the music fans outside of Hawai`i willing to seek the music out will find it helpful. Retailers with even a marginal world music section -- where Hawaiian music is usually filed -- will find it helpful. So too distributors.

YoungNeil is right in describing the Grammys as an infomercial for the music business. Perhaps the only people willing to sift through all 107 categories are industry types, and if a few reatilers end up stocking their world music bins with the listed nominees -- perhaps even selling them to the said fans -- that can't be a bad thing.

Comment

NemesisVex wrote:
                            >> The category may not give mass exposure to Hawaiian music, but for the music fans outside of Hawai`i willing to seek the music out will find it helpful. <<

I don't see that happening. Hawaiian music fans on the mainland already know who they like to listen to, and whichever one wins the Grammy will almost certainly be someone they already know, since the nominees are all major names.
                            Also, I'd be more than willing to bet that the media will not report the winners of all 107 categories; just the major ones. So the Hawaiian winner won't get publicity that way either.

>> Perhaps the only people willing to sift through all 107 categories are industry types, and if a few reatilers end up stocking their world music bins with the listed nominees -- perhaps even selling them to the said fans -- that can't be a bad thing. <<

True, but neither do I see it as being very much of a help.
                            There'll be 'bragging rights' for the winner and some for the losing nominees, but other than that I still think it's much ado about relatively nothing.

Comment

Feb. 6, 2005 -- Local artists have high hopes for Hawaiian Grammy from today's Star-Bulletin interviews many of the nominees along with Don Ho, Henry Kapono and others. Many give "props" to those that came before.
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X