R.i.p.h.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.i.p.h.

We take a moment and bow our heads in remembrance of the sacrifices performed and the events years ago on this day at Wai Momi. Or as others have it:
    Pearl Harbor...

Re: R.i.p.h.

Originally posted by kimo55
    We take a moment and bow our heads in remembrance of the sacrifices performed and the events years ago on this day at Wai Momi. Or as others have it:
    Pearl Harbor...
    Wai Momi? I always thought it was Pu'uloa.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Wai Momi? I always thought it was Pu'uloa. ...confused...
      don't be confused.

if yer a townie, it's Pu'uloa
      If yer a countryie, it's Wai Momi.

naaahh.
      joking.

Seriously, When Captain Cook chanced upon (he did NOT '"discover") the Hawaiian Islands in 1778, Pearl Harbor was known as Puuloa. Wai Momi or “water of pearl” was adopted later, due to the abundance of pearl oysters that grew in its waters.

Comment

So now no moa da pearls, so in Hawaiian would that be "make wai momi"?

Actually, we wen go holoholo ka'a a couple of years ago to the US Arizona Memorial. Even with all da crowds, just standing on da memorial pretty amazing. And just yesterday had one former sailor whose ashes when go get scattered ova da Arizona so he could join his bruddah and other shipmates.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          So now no moa da pearls, so in Hawaiian would that be "make wai momi"?

Miulang
          hmmmm...
          dead water pearl...

yea. why not. gotta nice ring to it.

maybe:

a'olewaimomi

Comment

shouldn't it be Kai Momi? To reference Wai is to mean any liquid other than sea water. Kai references ocean water. So Water of Pearls (referencing saltwater oysters) should be Kai O' Na Momi or if you want to keep Wai as if saying the water is made of pearls then Wai would be proper, and then Pearl Harbor should be Wai O' Na Momi
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              shouldn't it be Kai Momi?
              maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't.
              that's just what they called it a while ago.
              Just reporting what happened

to them back then, somehow it musta applied i suppose...

ok, now ya did it.

Gonna haveta delve into this deeper.
              the kai/wai mystery.
              ooh research...

Comment

But that's the challenge! I'm not an expert in Hawaiian language but it just seemed to me that Water of Pearls doesn't translate to Wai Momi whose literal translation means "Water Pearls" and that just doesn't have that ring to it and that Wai refers to any liquid other than sea water. So if you were to refer the pearls as a liquid or "Liquid Pearls" then Wai Momi is an accurate translation. But I don't think this is what the the term Water of Pearls should be translated to in Hawaiian that is unless the pearls are of the fresh water variety.

Search on!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  But that's the challenge! I'm not an expert in Hawaiian language but it just seemed to me that Water of Pearls doesn't translate to Wai Momi whose literal translation means "Water Pearls" and that just doesn't have that ring to it and that Wai refers to any liquid other than sea water. So if you were to refer the pearls as a liquid or "Liquid Pearls" then Wai Momi is an accurate translation. But I don't think this is what the the term Water of Pearls should be translated to in Hawaiian that is unless the pearls are of the fresh water variety.

Search on!
                  I was waiting for Ryan to jump in ... but here goes. From what I learned, "wai" actually is pure water...and every other type of liquid is "kai". That's why even gravy is called "kai"...it's not the pure, precious drinking water that is wai (hence, waiwai = rich, having lots of fresh water). Kai is everything else from sea water to brackish water to like I said, gravy, sauce, and even soup.

...But then again, sap and honey from flowers are also wai (wai o ka lehua, for example)...and things from the body, like teardrops (waimaka) and other things...

Wai momi would be like pearly water...from the ocean...shining in the sun...covering the shooooore...whoops hehe. But think of it as like "Pali momi" is Pearl-ridge ... so "Wai momi" would be Pearl Water (adjective comes after the noun). But yeah, to be more precise, I'd choose maybe "awa" for bay / harbor or even "hono" (for O'ahu on down) or "hana" (for Kaua'i & some O'ahu)... or at least use kai to indicate the salt-waterness. But that's just me. I'm not a manaleo by far. He kumu wale no au

Comment

Oh no another Don Ho Okay let's break out the martini's with the straw umbrella's Yeah!!!!

Okay so what about Kailua! Ocean toilet? I hope not

Comment

I think the "lua" in Kailua is short for "elua", the number two. Two waters?

Comment

Working...
                      X