X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man escapes house collapse

Man escapes house collapse
    Leila Fujimori, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, December 7, 2004
    A 50-year-old Palolo man narrowly escaped being crushed by his termite-eaten house, which collapsed yesterday morning. Hashimoto was underneath, jacking up the house with a hydraulic bottle jack to level it, when he heard an ominous creaking sound... "I was trying to level it, but I guess it was the wrong thing to do," Hashimoto said. "My friend told me I was crazy.
    Home improvement gone awry. Glad he got out okay. At least he's got an early start on the planned demolition!

Re: Man escapes house collapse

Wow. How much does a house weigh, anyway? Those jacks must have to be pretty tough.

Comment

Sounds like my parents' Wailuku house. My brother had their house re-sided with vinyl. Now you can't see the termites holding hands with each other as they munch the rest of the wood. Glad we don't have termites up here!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Sounds like my parents' Wailuku house. My brother had their house re-sided with vinyl. Now you can't see the termites holding hands with each other as they munch the rest of the wood. Glad we don't have termites up here!

Miulang
        Hehe! I never understood that. I don't think vinyl siding is meant to hold a termite-ridden house together.

Comment

Working...
        X