• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnum P.I.: The Movie

Reel News:
    ‘Magnum’ film could be out in summer 2006
    Tim Ryan, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, December 8, 2004
    "Magnum, P.I.: The Movie" may begin production here as early as August 2005 for a possible summer 2006 release, said Brett Johnson, Universal VP/ production. Johnson describes the long-awaited feature as "a very big movie" in terms of production value, budget and action... The movie will be completely filmed in Hawaii, with a considerable amount of water work... Still no decision by Imagine Entertainment or Universal if Tom Selleck will make an appearance...

Re: Magnum P.I.: The Movie

According to the Tim Ryan's article the current draft of the sceenplay (which might change) is similar to the pilot episode. I remember seeing it but for the life of me I can't remember what was that about.

All I remember was Magnum being chased by those two dogs and ending up in the Ferrari and driving off, but that was the beginning of the show.

Comment

this is what the first episode was about
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081103/plotsummary
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I cannot imagine a movie version of this without Tom Selleck in the lead. I suspect all the fans of the show feel like I do, and if that's the case, this thing is gonna sink like a stone after the first week.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I would not go see this movie if it didn't have Tom Selleck or an updated Ferrari in it!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My mom was driving around one day with my brother i think when she was stopped by a policeman or something to that effect. He told her they had to keep everybody back for a filming they were working on and then she sees this car come screaming out like in th beginning of the show. Not til a year or more later, did she realize what the dillio was, lol. This was back in 80 or 81 BTW.
            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

ya know for a long while on the Hawaii 5-0 and Magnum newsgroups we have been occasionally pointing out film flubs, inconsistencies and the favorite; how we kama'aina see these shows that depict our Hawaii.
              One of the many things we usta do back in the day, while watching Hawaii 5-0 was howl as we all would sit around da teevee and point at da bruddahs running around the island in their full dark suits. Of course, no one does that here in hot humid Hawaii, esp. a cop going after the bad guy and esp. if he wants to remain the least bit well... agile and inconspicuous.

Too many other things we got a kick out of like; Steve McGarrett gets a call re; a shooting in Kahala. He leaves Iolani palace, then we see him driving ewa on ala wai. Then makai on Kapahulu, THEN, he is spotted by the camera zooming ewa past the dillingham fountain. Then all of a sudden, he is on kal hiway.
              ho da t'rills! How dat buggah do dat anyway!

soo... we been battin around crap li dat on the magnum group about the Magnum P.I. series Someone asked for 'fantastical elements" in the show:
              some that were spotted by yers truly:

"fantastical elements."

that's easy!

every episode had those;

a british dude living beachside. on the sand. in a full dark suit.
              that's not all;
              Yelling at people.. (perfect strangers enjoying a quiet peaceful mellow day at da beach...) just a few feet from shore at public Waimanalo beach. using a bullhorn at that!

(for those unclear on the concept, who may be musing: "yeaaa, soo.. whuzz wrong wi dat!?"
              this is NOT done in Hawaii.
              someone tries that here, da blalahs goin aftah da haole's skinny glow in da dark okole. Buss em up reeeal good.)

oh. an den;
              the same dude " patrolling" a smallish estate in quiet waimanalo with 2 guard dogs.

this same dude having tea parties with a gaggle of new england dressed and sounding old maids.
              and his various and sundry quirky strange clubs from the hinterland apparently, for lack of better gathering spots, plopped right down on da windward side for their meetings:
              "The Hawaiian society for the advancement of Lord Byron literature and reading it while drinking from tiny cups with your pinky in the air"
              Quote-eth:
              "we will no more go a roaming..
              ...no you shant spend another farthing at picadilly squauh my dahling...
              The pubs will no more see our shilling, nor yer fat bumm agoing flippity flappity floo down the old country avenue where we woudlst go aroaming as we once knew..."
              or something like that.

"The Island appreciation association for tea and crumpets and pshawpshaw, harrumph, balderdash and all that rot"

and other such groups...

a kama'aina haole dude, running around the island working as a.... ahem; "Private" investigator; in a RED FERARRI!
              (who, it is obvious, has not gotten anywhere near the concepts of inconspicuous, subtle or uh.. private)

"...yea, ok, so... I will just zoom in and screech while I pull up here at the docks with my flashy hard-to-miss expensive exotic car such as is NOT seen anywhere here on Oahu, or even in the Hills of Beverly... and look inconspicuous, hiding it, and me, behind a few barrels, taking pictures with my loud power winder equipped SLR...."

...and he is STILL talking as if he were f.o.b. from the mainland whenever he confronted mokes.
              No wonder they forced him to jump in the harbor at pier 19!

a major crime happening with such frequency in Hawaii such as was depicted. Each and every 7 days or so!
              (course, same thing with Hawaii 5-0.)

and many of these crimes, a non-pidgin speaking haole dude took care of them fully and only about 20% of the time, (if that!) the cops were pulled in to assist.

A white boy detective in Hawaii; with NO local bruddahbruddah contacts. Instead, ALLLLL the locals were depicted as hard guys and criminals.
              yea, ok! he had "locals" helping him. a short white dude that spoke as if fresh from N.J.
              a popolo fella who again talked as if pulled just last week from L.A.
              a supposedly long time retired local crime boss, once again; sounding as if he came straight from Chicago. NO local inflection.

Just remembered:
              the popolo dude has a helecopter service situated/housed at the MOST expensive/exclusive spots on Oahu:
              Ala Moana beach. and then, Makai Pier.
              haaaa.
              NOT!

No, none of that ultra convenient and inexpensive, very available private hangars next to the airport for Tee Hee. I mean Tee Cee.
              No way.

yep.

easily classified in the
              "fantastical elements."
              file...
              Last edited by kimo55; January 4, 2005, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I mostly watched Magnum for the "eye candy" that is Tom Selleck! So what if da plot was contrived? So what if da locations were edited so they didn't make sense to da kama'aina who know Honolulu like da back of their hands? Foa me, it was Tom Selleck and dat Ferrari...so if he not going be in da movie, den I not going go see it!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  So what if da plot was contrived? So what if da locations were edited so they didn't make sense to da kama'aina who know Honolulu like da back of their hands? Miulang

mo bettah li dat! if no mo da kine, we wouldn't have had such entertainment!

Comment

I can never understand Selleck insisting all along that the ONLY way he will play MPI again is if it were a full length feature film in the theaters. Lets face it his shot at being America's leading man in the movies died with his 3 Men and a Little Baby/Lady flicks which he had to share onscreen time with then Cheers star Ted Danson and Steve Guttenburg who has argubly had a more famous movie career than Selleck has.

So all the loyal fans who watched you for free for 8 years on tv now will pay to see you at the movie theater!? The loyal fans I guess will. But I hate to see this biting Selleck in the arse if he doesnt get the lead role in this new film. Easily he could have reprised his role by now for a series of reunion type movies by CBS that I bet would be ratings blockbusters. Now you will either have a movie with Selleck that is a major gamble because most of these new tv shows made into movies are led by modern day stars. Or a gamble that a George Clooney can fill Selleck's shoes and bring in audiences of all ages.

KalihiBoy

Comment

My picks for da cast and look of da flik:

Clooney as mag.

mark Walberg
                      or
                      mat damon
                      as ric.

Robbie Coltrane as Higgy baby
                      (killer casting choice; this would fill out the cast vvvveeerrry well and garner mucho attention for the pic.)

Larry Manetti plays "Ice Pick"

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, fresh off the just cancelled "Hawaii" cop series pays Lt. Tanaka

L.L.kool jj. l.s.m.f.t.
                      as T.C.

or Ice T.
                      or Kool Ade.
                      or blind lemon ade.
                      I dunno. who cares...
                      It'll happen without my input.

and he's GOT to have some authentic kine local semi legit, semi underworld contacts, like we saw in "Marker' with Richard Greico.

TC could have a really customized helicopter, the orange county choppers version of a helicoper with a paint job similar to the stuff "Killer Paint" does.
                      and magnum has got to hop on a cool island style chopper in a scene or two to take advantage of the great look that is afforded with our scenery here. again; in marker, they tooled around North Shore on a couple bikes and it was to good effect.

can you imagine Magnum using a chopper to really catch the bad guy who is handicapped with just a souped up low rider, while Thomas zips through waikiki, tearing through sidewalks while little grass hut vendor stands explode in his wake!

hahaaa. what fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X