Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How computer literate are you?

Take this test to find out

This is for an english paper that I'm doing over the xmas break. Since everyone won't be here during that time, I want to reach the largest audience as possible.

Post your results here (and don't lie).
    --------------------------------------
    Anyway, to seperate the men from the boys:

1) You turn on your computer, and nothing comes up on the screen. What could be wrong?
    2) What is it to Format a disk? How do you do it?
    3) Your computer locks up and will not accept any input (it "freezes"). What is he best course of action?
    4) Name the three different kinds of printers.
    5) Name 5 versions of Windows.
    6) Name 2 Operating Systems for a x86 computer.

And post what age range you're in

A) 15-20
    B) 21-35
    C) 36-45
    D) 46-55
    E) Older than 55
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: How computer literate are you?

Originally posted by adri1456

This is for an english paper that I'm doing over the xmas break. Since everyone won't be here during that time, I want to reach the largest audience as possible.

1) You turn on your computer, and nothing comes up on the screen. What could be wrong?
    3) Your computer locks up and will not accept any input (it "freezes"). What is he best course of action?

A) 15-20
    B) 21-35
    C) 36-45
    D) 46-55
    E) Older than 55
    Hey, Adrian, that's sexist! Don't you know about the "geekesses" in this audience? Some of us can actually answer those questions!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Hey, Adrian, that's sexist! Don't you know about the "geekesses" in this audience? Some of us can actually answer those questions!

Miulang
      I know. I've been reworking the questions, and I've made an online survey here.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

A) 15-20
        B) 21-35
        C) 36-45
        D) 46-55
        E) Older than 55
        I guess i'm too geeky. I got a 40/40

As to the questions:
        1). Computer not plugged in or no AC power going to computer. It could be a bad power supply or faulty power switch.
        2). Formatting the disk involves preparing the disk for an operating system to write to. Depending on the OS, could be different file system. (NTFS fo windows or UFS for Solaris). You can right click the disk in windows to format or use the "newfs" command in Solaris
        3).See if you can kill the job by going to the process manager in windows, or killing the process on a unix based system. Next option would be to restart the operating system. If that doesn't work, try the reset button on the box.
        4).Laser, inkjet, dot-matrix
        5).Windows 3.1, Windows 95/98/ME, NT/2000/XP, Server 2003
        6).Windows and Linux

Age group: B
        Last edited by 808_m3; December 9, 2004, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I got 40 on the quiz linked in the first message, but I think the questions in both could be worded better. And "computer literacy" is pretty broad... are you measuring the ability to keep one running (troubleshooting), to perform specific tasks (i.e. business tasks), to identify components or software? If you're thinking to measure "all of the above," you're going to need a lot more than eight questions.

Comment

This is an interesting test, but you know it has very little to do with computer literacy, yes?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I scored a 39 on the first test, but I bet I'd dispute the answer I supposedly got wrong.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Memory modules may be bad or need reseating (if the obvious fails like power switch)

To clear the way that disk accepts data to it. at the C: Format C:

Three finger salute: Ctrl/Alt/Dlt. If all else fails pull the plug and reboot.

Laser, inkjet, dot matrix, there's a fourth, thermal

MS-Dos, 3.1, 95, 98/98SE, ME, 2000, XP (does the dos version count since it's an Microsoft OS?)

DOS and UNIX

C I'm 44

A) 15-20
                B) 21-35
                C) 36-45
                D) 46-55
                E) Older than 55

I entered the answers above, this note to suffice the minimum number of characters to submit this reply
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I scored a 35 on the test and I'm 28 years old.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I scored a 37 on your test but I not going tell you how old I am (suffice to say that I could be Aaron's mother! ). But I am a geekess for sure.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

A) 15-20
                      B) 21-35
                      C) 36-45
                      D) 46-55
                      E) Older than 55
                      Let's see, I ended up with 37/40.

1. I'd say the first thing to check is, is the computer or the monitor turned on?
                      2. In layman's terms, formatting clears the disk and creates a structure so that the computer can store data on the disk in a systematic fashion. From a DOS command prompt you would type "format <drive letter>:", or in Windows, you open My Computer, right click the icon of the disk you want to format, and choose "Format..."
                      3. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del ordinarily will bring up the Task Manager, where you can force the frozen program to shut down.
                      4. Ink jet, laser, and dot matrix.
                      5. Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP. (also NT and ME)
                      6. Windows and Linux.

I'm in age range B.
                      http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Just saw this thread. yes, as Schriv sez:
                        it has nothing whatsoever to do with being computer literate.
                        also it is windoze only and many mac folks may be verrrryyyy computer literate but not have a clue as to any of the questions, (and couldn't care less.)
                        Sooo. the correct answer/solution to all the questions for us is;
                        throw the thing out da windows... and buy a mac.

Comment

I got 38/40 on the first test associated with this thread.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            Just saw this thread. yes, as Schriv sez:
                            it has nothing whatsoever to do with being computer literate.
                            also it is windoze only and many mac folks may be verrrryyyy computer literate but not have a clue as to any of the questions, (and couldn't care less.)
                            Sooo. the correct answer/solution to all the questions for us is;
                            throw the thing out da windows... and buy a mac.

I scored 35 on the first test and I'm in the D age group!
                            Lovena

Comment

Man, what's with the windows heavy definition of computer literacy?

Try these:

1.) What does it mean when your system "panics" ?
                              2.) Name 5 programming languages.
                              3.) Name 3 linux distibutions.
                              4.) What is the default shell for user accounts on MacOSX?
                              5.) What operating system has the dubious honor of using IIS?
                              6.) Name three web servers (applications, not sites).
                              7.) What is a kernel?
                              8.) Briefly describe the function of DHCP.
                              9.) Briefly describe the basic methodology of public key encryption.
                              10.) Briefly describe the difference between a switch and hub.

I tired to leave out stuff like process tracing, really OS-specific stuff, etc.
                              Last edited by kamapuaa; February 4, 2005, 03:39 PM.
                              I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
                              X