Sony VAIO or PowerBook G4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony VAIO or PowerBook G4?

I don't mean to start a PC versus Mac thread, but I've seen a good share of PC and Mac folks on this message board. Of course, I'd appreciate everyone's opinion on this topic. Anyway, I'm currently in the market for a lightweight notebook computer.

The two contenders I've been considering are the Sony VAIO laptop, the PCGV-505. The local Costco here has a similar unit. The other one is the 12" PowerBook G4. I can get one of these from any of the local Apple stores in the SF bay area. Both units are within the same price range.

OS preference doesn't matter to me. I admit the Mac OS X is appealing since I've done a lot of UNIX stuff. As long as it's got a command line, I'm happy

Anyway, what would you buy?

Re: Sony VAIO or PowerBook G4?

Even though I'm a Windows Geek, I'd take the Mac notebook over the Sony.

If I have to get a Mac, then I'd get a notebook, because its just feels like its built for portability.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Kinda depends on what you plan to do most on this laptop. If it's basic stuff like word processing, get the Sony. If you're going to be doing lots of graphic stuff, get the Mac. If all you're doing is surfing, then go with the Mac because the browser isn't as susceptible to worms and viruses as the PC and you won't have as many issues with patches.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It depends on what you want to do with it - what your priorities are. Both will do fine for basic wordprocessing and office tasks, web and e-mail, but what's your passion? Multimedia and graphic design and an elegant, stable OS? Mac all the way. Gaming and broader compatibility and easier hardware upgrades? The Vaio is nice.

I'm a Mac guy on a PC budget, and owned several "ultraslim" Vaio laptops. For me, the selling point was the form factor... the thing could slip anywhere a stack of letter-sized papers would fit, including the magazine holder in the back of airplane seats.

If I didn't have any other computers, I'd go with a PC. My next computer (now that I have four desktops and two laptops) will hopefully, finally, be a Mac.

Of course, as with all such things, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Comment

Well it seems that money is no object here in your choice of an overpriced Sony Vaio with proprietary components vs an equally overpriced Mac G4 with limited software support and even more proprietary components.

So with that, get both! Life sucks when you have too many choices to choose from.

But if I had my druthers, I'd pick the Viao simply because of the greater support out there both for technical help and software support. Go to any CompUSA and see aisles of stuff for PC's then go check out the three bay section for Mac's. Then look at the prices! PC's are more economical.

One arguement about Mac's being less of a threat to hackers is moot since I've never heard of one Mac owner not using any virus protection or firewall like PC users to filter out unwanted hacking. If your virus protection is up to date then you have little to worry about PC or Mac, just stay away from IE as your browser and email.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Very good points indeed, craig. I think laptops are proprietary since for all the laptop brands out there, you pretty much have to rely on the manufacturer for any hardware issues. I admit I've seen the situation a lot better these days because you can go to newegg and purchase memory modules or hard disks for laptops for any type of component upgrade. Getting these upgrades no longer requires you to go to the manufacturer.

Getting both is certainly an option, spouse permitting of course..

Comment

I have my Compaq Preserio 2535QV P4 laptop for my daily needs like right now, and I'm currently building a desktop from parts bought from New Egg. When this computer is finished...IT WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA (maniacal laughter echoing thruout the Big Island)

Okay maybe just rule my home theater system with it's 6.1ch surround audio.

As much as I love my laptop I have found a new love of building a decent desktop (currently I'm on my fourth) It's kinda like Frankenstein. You hit the power button and watch as your creation boots up and you say, "IT'S ALIVE!!!!! YES COME TO PAPA!!"

For the price of a Viao, I'd consider some of the newer gaming laptops for the same price and wayyyy better performance.

As for the Powerbook G4, I have a friend of mine who bought one and when it needed minor repair (the cd tray wouldn't eject) he had to send it back to the mainland thru that store in Ala Moana Shopping center and he had to wait several weeks for it's return. Not too many people that can fix a rotten Apple here in Hawaii.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yup, same here. All the PCs I have in my office are all home built stuff. The components are all name brand quality parts. My oldest box I have here is about 6 years old and it runs XP pretty well.

I've been testing out different laptops the past couple of days. I like the sony VAIO form factor, but I find the keys just a little too small. The 12" PowerBook G4 has a better keyboard. I've also looked at the 15" version, which I'm considering, as well as the possibility of new PowerBooks to be announced at the next Macworld. I may wait awhile.

The bay area has 11 Apple stores so I'm not too worried about warranty or service issues.

I doubt that matters since they probably ship the units elsewhere for service.

Comment

Working...
                X