Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sen Inouye wants to re-write the 1996 telecom law

http://starbulletin.com/2004/12/12/news/story3.html

U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Inouye is expected to be a major player next year when Congress considers rewriting the landmark 1996 Telecommunications Act.

The complex federal law regulates telephone service, television and radio plus cellular phone service.

Inouye, who as early as 1993 wanted increased federal regulation of cable communications, said last week in Honolulu that he would again bring up that subject.

"In the beginning, when cable companies were in their infancy, in order to bring it up we gave them certain breaks," Inouye told the Star-Bulletin. "The question now is should we again consider them."
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Sen Inouye wants to re-write the 1996 telecom law

The cable and internet companies (ISPs) probably should be regulated Federally, just like telephone companies are, particularly since cable companies want to get into the telecom business and telecom companies want to get into the high speed internet business. The ISPs need to be regulated too, because they also provide "phone" service (e.g., Vonage). None of the companies is in the business of being proconsumer in any way and all of them have cadres of lawyers looking for ways to increase fees without government curbs. I also doubt the Bush Administration or the Republican majority will go for any telecom reform over the next 4 years because it's not in the interests of their friends, big business. So in the meantime, my cable bill goes up 13% annually for basic service without Comcast having to do one little thing to make my viewing experience better.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Sen Inouye wants to re-write the 1996 telecom law

Yes I believe the telecom and cable TV industries should be more heavily
      regulated. Unfortunately it will be a cold day in hell that we'll see this in the
      next 4 years. Case in point FCC came out with a report that ala carte
      cable tv would increase cable tv costs and reduce choice. Neither which
      I agree with. I would give my left arm if I could get out from being forced to
      purchase Home shpping network, QVC, ShopNBC.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
      X