Gym Gyp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym Gyp

Was thinking of getting back into working out as it's been a while, so spent some valuable time (which I want returned to me) going through the now famous convolution known as "24 hour fitness Tomfoolery" yes. Shoulda known. But didn't.
    Tried to vent my frustration and send corporate an email, but can't find it... i suppose they have learned to keep their contact info very private, since they MUST have gotten other similar, as this:

My dear 24 hour fitness,

You guys pulled a fast one on me and it was not very pleasant.
    You lost a potential client and created a dissatisfied
    contact who, not only will NOT recommend 24 hour, but will
    dissuade others from your establishment.

I was going to join after a long intro sales pitch by your
    employees.
    And a lllloooonnngg tour through your magic potion department, which was really a hardsell episode. Came in to work out. Led through the supplement store instead. I hate having my time wasted. Then finally the tour through your facilities.
    But first, I had to check out a few other gyms in the
    area. So, I did. Then I decided 24 hour may possibly work for me, as it was located a mile from home..
    So I call and ask what is needed to join based on what we heard, just to confirm. They told me what amount of cash. I said that's the minimum and then I can be working out then?
    The answer; Yes.

So I bring in the cash.
    But NOOOOOO.... The whole format changed and not only did you guys NOT want to take my cash and sign up another client, you wanted me to sign up under a whole other plan. It's the old bait and switch. And, you wanted to ruin the goodwill of another client that came in with me by telling him he must be billed for MY membership.
    I NEVER thought I would see the day when a health club would NOT sign up a prospect when they are warm for it, at that moment, willing to join for at least a year, with MONEY in hand. Why do you want to send customers away to your competitors?!
    Yes, that is what you are actively involved in now. Chasing away prospects.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Corporate mentality will sink you all.

Have a GREAT day.

so, still searching for the coprorate contact info, came upon some cool stuff;
    Check dis out, my friend!
    No thanks needed. My pleasure!

http://dresese.thehyatts.net/archives/000130.html

Re: Gym Gyp

Yep...been there too. Wow the ads sound good until you find out those low monthly payments are stretched over a three year committment paid up front thru some third party lending institution like Beneficial Finance.

Gee whiz if I could take out a loan for that I would have just financed a loan for a Bowflex or something.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There's no shortage of horror stories about any business' practices on the web, but fortunately, that gives you a lot of ammunition and bolsters your resolve if and when you finally do decide to check 'em out.

In an interesting flash of synchronicity, Kimo, you posted this the same week I was researching a 24 Hour Fitness membership myself. Actually, as a gift for my wife. Since 'Curves' was completely out of the question, and there are no other large gyms operating in Mililani, 24 Hour (formerly Family Fitness Centers) was it.

I know a lot of members, and they're quite happy, but I certainly found more than my share of "24 Hour Fitness sucks" rants online. I really dreaded going in.

It didn't suck half as much as I thought it would. We never even got a showroom tour! Sure, they put their $899 plan in front of us, but one "no," and that was that. A similarly resolute "no" removed a "personal trainer" plan from our sight, any "multi-year" plan (I could buy a used car for that!), along with pretty much any other piece of paper with more than three-digit dollar figures on it. Soon enough, we were "month to month, one club only, alternating days," for a reasonable $24/mo.

A little bit of hemming and hawing gets you out of their ridiculous "enrollment fee" (or is it their "processing fee"). The only bizarre practice I didn't quibble over was their weird "first and last month membership paid in advance" thing. (In other words, if we quit as soon as we joined, we'd still pay for and have access two months.)

It's a major investment, no matter what, but it ain't a mortgage, and there wasn't anything about "financing" in our visit. And while my wife and I (on a guest pass) went down only once so far, we had so much fun, I'm thinking I might join for myself. Nice machines, clean facility, customers of different shapes and sizes, and everyone's so into doing your thing, you don't need to feel self-conscious.

So. Your mileage may vary, I suppose. Depending on your 'sales associate' and even your 'trainer,' you might feel like you walked into Cheap Al's Used RV Lot. But I think once you get past the yucky parts (or people), the place itself is pretty good.

Comment

Personally, I don't care much for the gym-chain workout places. I'd rather invest the money in getting some decent work out equipment to put into my home. I have treadmill and one of those weight lifting gym sets in one of our rooms.

The advantages are obvious, you can work out anytime you want to and in the privacy of your own home.

Disadvantages are requiring the extra space and doing the maintenance on your equipment.

Your company doesn't pay for your gym fees? My company does, as it's offered as one of our HR benefits.

Comment

Lots of enlightened companies offer gym memberships or steep discounts as benefits (since they know healthy employees actually save them money in the long run). Mine has some progressive policies, but not that one, sadly.

And the space issue is exactly why I would go with an external membership - big megalocorporate chain or not. I barely have enough space for our everyday stuff (we've got three kids, and their stuff is already stacked to the ceiling and threatens to collapse upon and kill us), let alone a fancy machine.

And at a gym, you have several machines with several specialities (swiss-army-knife fancy home contraptions notwithstanding)... and if one breaks, it's someone else's problem. Oh, and there's the free classes, the (paid) personal trainers, the pool and jacuzzi, and... perhaps one of the best benefits... "personal time" outside of the house!

To each their own. I'm sure there's better out there, but for us (this first week anyway!), a megalocorporate chain facility works fine.

Comment

I have no idea what the Honolulu Club charges for dues now, nor any idea what the initial membership fee is, but when I worked for them (1980-1989) they had a fair number of satisfied members. If you work downtown and can afford it, it's convenient as can be.

Back in 1980 monthly dues were $35 plus tax for women, $42 plus tax for men, and $62 plus tax for couples. Membership fee varied from $800 to $1750 or so. The folks who were smart (in retrospect; who knew whether it would survive?) paid for a "Gold Card;" $5000 or thereabouts for 30-year dues abeyance.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I remember when 24-Hour Fitness was originally called International Fitness. I signed up simpy because I would ride my bike to work from Waialae Nui to Kamakee passing the fitness center around 5am. Afer signing up I would stop and take a nice shower at their facilities, relax until 6:30am then hop on my bike and continue the 1-mile ride to the Gas Company refreshed and ready for work.

On the weekends after working the overnights at KGU I would drive to International Fitness at 6am and do a light work out then shower, go home and sleep.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
              X