Eh, I found da FOOD !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eh, I found da FOOD !!!

That was sure quick for a new keiki on da block. Ku'u pipi li'ili'i jus went right to da word "FOOD" (and no, not my cows, my little feelers). Okay, well. Auntie got a couple hours work left to do right now i ka loko o ka po. But I would like to learn about good food recipes and stuff. Lawa.

Boy if dat is not one major Miracle, me having nothing else to say, I don't know what is. Proves there is an Akua.

Auntie Mau

Re: Eh, I found da FOOD !!!

Hey Auntie Mau! My apologies for inviting you...you already hea! Anyways, my MAMA just sold our family business wea I was the main cook. Anything you want to know how to cook, if I know um, I'll tell you how to make um. From na'au, squid lu'au, gandule rice, beef tomato, etc. The list is endless. However, hurry cause tomarrow I may not remember any of it. hehehe By the way anybody have an idea how I can put all the recipes on the computer or is there some kind of software where I can just put the information as ingredients and instructions and not have to worry about formatting? Oh well...just asking. Invitation for recipes goes out to all. I don't know how to make fancy food, just LOCAL the kine you get from Likelike,K.C.,Wisteria,Diners, and the now closed BENNY'S, etc.
    Last edited by 1stwahine; December 23, 2004, 06:49 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Eh Tita Lynn:
      If you like share your knowledge of local kine grinds, you might want to wander over to da Alohaworld Ono Recipes site (http://alohaworld.com/ono/). Get plenty expats on da Mainland who get watery kine mouths when they remember all da local food dey cannot find up here. Aunty Aloha would send plenty mahalos to you if you can kokua lidat.

Mahalo nui loa,
      Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Get plenty expats on da Mainland who get watery kine mouths when they remember all da local food dey cannot find up here.
        Miulang

just got some mainland clippings sent to me from my fan club, of island style stuffs;
        One of them is an advert for L&Q Hawaiian B.B.Q. just opened up in CA .
        The comment was;
        this is NOT barbecue!

here's a sample from the ad;
        Hawaiian BBQ Mix
        BBQ beef,
        BBQ chicken & Kaibi Short ribs
        $6.29

'da hellz "Kaibi"?!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

'da hellz "Kaibi"?!
          See what I mean? Dey cannot even spell kalbi correctly up here! We have some decent local kine grinds restaurants (besides L&L) but cannot beat da local stuff that's made in Hawai'i. Of course, maybe it's good we can't find too many local grinds places up here. Otherwise, we'd all be on perpetual diets from eating the white rice/mac salad combo every day!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Otherwise, we'd all be on perpetual diets from eating the white rice/mac salad combo every day!

Miulang

yea. and it's so weird to see in the adverts;
            macaroni salad.
            and hear them say it.
            (da hellz "meh cuh row knee"?!)

I think;
            eh. tooooo many syllables...
            dun look right.

Comment

Miulang, Mahalo! I will check out the website and it would be a pleasure to share how to cook the correct way LOCAL FOOD OF HAWAI'I NEI! I remember fondly in 1982-84 when my late husband and I opened up our restaurant in Vallejo, California. Customers came as far as Sacramento and San Diego just to buy his Roast Lechon (whole pigs) and chicken roasted over a pit over firewood. I also served Local Plates and yes, Mac salad, Potato Salad or Mac/Potato salad. The lines were endless and we became very known. Our place was called "Crispy-Lechon!" However, missing Hawai'i caused us to say goodbye to California! GEE, this website sure brings memories upon memories...I love it! Ok, I got to get ready for the party tonight. Nuff talking story for me until tomarrow for a little while. Y'all keep safe!

Bye Kimo! I'm still laughing, nah...all in the fun of the OHANA!
              Eh, this is numba 50. do i get a prize? How about a t-shirt? JOKE!

Comment

See what I mean? Dey cannot even spell kalbi correctly up here! We have some decent local kine grinds restaurants (besides L&L) but cannot beat da local stuff that's made in Hawai'i. Of course, maybe it's good we can't find too many local grinds places up here. Otherwise, we'd all be on perpetual diets from eating the white rice/mac salad combo every day!

Miulang
                Only now I could click on to the link for Aunty Aloha! Mahalo for letting me know...now I can really share with anybody! If anyone here at Hawaii Threads needs a recipe...let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  Only now I could click on to the link for Aunty Aloha! Mahalo for letting me know...now I can really share with anybody! If anyone here at Hawaii Threads needs a recipe...let me know!
                  How about Hawaiian Style Chop Steak? The kine with tomatoes, bell peppers, onions. Some places put the celery inside too.

I'm wondering what they marinade the steak in? I'm guessing soy sauce, salt+pepper, but I can only guess the other secret ingreduhments?

Thanks if you can help!

Comment

Originally posted by mapen
                    How about Hawaiian Style Chop Steak? The kine with tomatoes, bell peppers, onions. Some places put the celery inside too.

I'm wondering what they marinade the steak in? I'm guessing soy sauce, salt+pepper, but I can only guess the other secret ingreduhments?

Thanks if you can help!
                    Aloha! Chopsteak was one of the specials at Benny's. Very simple acutually. Cut meat into 1 inch slices. Vegetables include anything you want. I used bell peppers,celery,onions,bean sprouts,& string beans.

In wok, heat 1 TBLS oil. enough to fry meat.
                    Add 1-2 teaspoon oystersauce
                    pepper,aji to taste
                    Add vegetables,put 1-2teaspoon shoyu and stir fry!
                    ONOLICIOUS!

Comment

Don't forget the piece ginger and garlic clove(smashed) and put into wok at same time as meat.

Comment

Hey, tanks for the recipe. I suspected it was made with oystersauce since that's the sauce used in chinese beef tomato which is a very similar dish. I like the aji no moto MSG too. Lotsa peope leave that out since they're worried about their blood pressure, but I don't worry. I'd rather my food taste ono! And adding the ginger seems tasty, will complement the meat well. I'll be making mine with tomato, bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms. Tanks again!

Comment

1St Wahine,

You still rememba how to make whole lechon pig?? I like learn how! I just make the lechon kawali and when I was in the Phils I rememba had plenty lechon restaurants up da wazoo!!

No moa one place hea you can buy fresh lechon except for Golden Coin now. The one at Keaaumoku St Walmart location make deir skin nice and crispy but dey roast only da whole belly side of the pig and not the whole thing in deir oven.

I'd like to hear your stories of lechon etc. please?
                          Reggie aka pinakboy
                          Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                          Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                          Recipe Tube TV!
                          Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy
                            1St Wahine,

You still rememba how to make whole lechon pig?? I like learn how! I just make the lechon kawali and when I was in the Phils I rememba had plenty lechon restaurants up da wazoo!!

No moa one place hea you can buy fresh lechon except for Golden Coin now. The one at Keaaumoku St Walmart location make deir skin nice and crispy but dey roast only da whole belly side of the pig and not the whole thing in deir oven.

I'd like to hear your stories of lechon etc. please?
                            WOW! I have not mention about lechon here on the threads. Do I know you? Yes, I still remember how to make Lechon. It was our specialty. My late husband's and mine. So much great memories. I still know how to make the salsa too. My stories are all found on my blog. What you like know about? PM me.

Welcome to the boards!

1stwahine

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              WOW! I have not mention about lechon here on the threads. Do I know you? Yes, I still remember how to make Lechon. It was our specialty. My late husband's and mine. So much great memories. I still know how to make the salsa too. My stories are all found on my blog. What you like know about? PM me.

Welcome to the boards!

1stwahine
                              Ooops, sorry...I did mention LECHON!

Comment

Working...
                              X