Shame on Dalton Tanonaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shame on Dalton Tanonaka

Within a letter titled "Abercrombie missed key intelligence vote" in today's (12/15/04) Honolulu Advertiser, former candidate Dalton Tanonaka wrote "I don't mean to come across as a sore loser, but in the first significant vote in Congress following his re-election, where was Neil Abercrombie?" He notes that the vote was held on December 7 and that Abercrombie was not there.
    I found the answer in the paper just two pages later, where there was a large box on the Obituaries page noting that Abercrombie's mother passed away on December 4.
    The answer to "Where was Neil?" becomes pretty darned obvious. If Tanonaka (and also the creator of the website he mentions, who appears to be a disgruntled former employee of Abercrombie) had bothered to simply pick up the phone and call Amercrombie's office, they would've known where he was! Shame on them.
    Perhaps this glaring lack of extremely basic research skills is why Tanonaka lost the election.
    My sympathies to Abercrombie on the loss of his mother.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Shame on Dalton Tanonaka

Tanonaka's "sore loser" letter to the Honolulu Advertiser is here. Vera Abercrombie's obituary, indeed printed the same day, is here. The mentioned site, NeilWatch, is run by Ken Armstrong, "a Christian with a political conscience" and "a non-partisan independent."

Abercrombie (and Case) did miss the Dec. 7 vote on the intelligence reform bill, but Dems in the House supported it more than 20-1 (Republicans were more split). It would've been a symbolic vote, not a pivotal one.

Comment

Ken Armstrong's website, which Ryan lists above, claims that he "is a former weekly columnist for Pacific Business News, and an award-winning news magazine editor."
      Dalton Tanonaka's website claims "Dalton Tanonaka is an international business leader and award-winning journalist."
      [...]
      "Prior to that, Dalton had a distinguished career in journalism. His most recent position was senior anchor at CNN International in Hong Kong, where he anchored "BizAsia," the global daily broadcast focusing on the region’s important business stories and leaders, and "TalkAsia," a weekly hour of conversation with the world’s most influential people."
      "His other Asia experience includes covering the handover of Hong Kong to China for CNBC, and anchoring "Japan Business Today" from the studios of NHK in Tokyo. He was named "Best News Anchor" at the Asian Television Awards in Singapore in 1998."
      So... both of these guys claim to be award-winning journalists, but they didn't have the sense to make a single phone call to the most obvious source for the answer to their attempted smear?!? Puhleeeeeze!

Mind you, folks, I'm not leaning one way or another about Abercrombie or his politics. What I am saying is that Tanonaka and Armstrong using his mother's death as part of their political agenda is beyond shameful.

Move over, Malia Zimmerman... you've got company on the "lack of credibility" couch.
      Last edited by LikaNui; December 15, 2004, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I'm a newbie at Hawaii Threads. However, when I saw the topic about this thread, I just couldn't resist putting my two cents in. I am the Military mother that was featured on Dalton Tanonaka's television commercial for his bid to Congress. I don't like the fact that Congressman Abrocrombie voted against supporting our men and women of our our Armed Forces in their fight against TERRORISM nor how he and fourteen others drafted a resolution for the DRAFT and that he did a switch in opposing what he helped create. It showed me that he is not a man of his word nor convictions. That is why I supported Mr. Tanonaka. The Election is over and all must be put aside to support whoever was elected into office. It's the American Way! No huhu or bad mouthing. My condolences to Congressman Abrocrombie and family. I feel shame knowing what Dalton did without trying to find out the reason as to why. Afterall, as a top journalist and award winning reporter, he is supposed to know better before opening his mouth! AUWE! Lucky no moa the commercial anymore...SHAME DALTON,REAL SHAME!

1stwahine
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

UPDATE: Uh, as I said earlier, I'm a newbie here. Had no idea that lots of people actually read the threads. nah, of course they do. Anyways, I recieved an email from Dalton this morning and I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, afterall I did support him for his bid for Congress and I will support him again. Had he known that Abrocrombie's mother had passed on he would have not have sent his letter. He said, there were attempts to contact Abrocrombie at his office on the day the announcement was made with no answer given. In yesterday's Advertiser it also indicated that Abrocrombie had chosen to come back to Hawaii long in advance on his schedule due to some appointments and other things he had to take care in Hawaii that would help him with his agenda for the next session which begins next month instead of staying in Washington and waiting for a vote that may or might not occur. So, Mr. Dalton Tanonaka, my apologies to you. Now let's get on with the next thread please!

1stwahine
          Last edited by 1stwahine; December 18, 2004, 06:33 PM.

Comment

1stwahine wrote:
            >> I recieved an email from Dalton this morning <<

Try asking him why he doesn't write a letter to the Advertiser about this, instead of leaving it to his pitbull Ken Armstrong to defend him. Hmmmm?

>> Had he known that Abrocrombie's mother had passed on he would have not have sent his letter. <<

Balderdash. Pfffffbt.
            Did you see Armstrong's letter in today's Advertiser? He really tries to spin this whole thing, but he fails miserably.
            I have to say to him that “Methinks thou doth protest too much.”
            His letter is entitled “Defense of Abercrombie missed several key points”. The letter Armoistrong is replying to (dated 12/16/04) was not a defense of Abercrombie, it was about Dalton Tanonaka. Politics had nothing whatsoever to do with the 12/16 letter; respect and etiquette were the points.
            Armstrong claims that Abercrombie missed “one of the most critical floor votes in recent congressional history.” Well, I’m not sure how critical it was, since it was a vote on agreeing to a conference report. Apparently Abercrombie’s vote would’ve been more symbolic than pivotal, as Ryan pointed out. The voting record, as seen at http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2004/roll544.xml, shows that the final tally was 336 in favor and 75 against. Abercrombie’s vote wouldn’t have swayed things either way. Also, there were 21 other congresspersons who didn’t vote, including 8 Republicans and 13 other Democrats (including Hawaii’s Ed Case). One wonders why Tanonaka and Armstrong chose to attack only Abercrombie.
            And apparently it was uncertain right up to the last minute whether the vote would even take place.
            Armstrong also claims Tanonaka couldn’t have known about the death of Abercrombie’s mother because it wasn’t published until the same day as Tanonaka’s letter (12/15/04). But the vote was held December 7. Tanonaka and Armstrong both claim to be award-winning journalists, yet they didn’t take advantage of having 8 full days to call Abercrombie’s office where they would’ve found the answer long before writing his letter? Sorry, Mr. Armstrong, but the math is simple.
            Armstrong also wrote that the vote took place three days after Vera Abercrombie’s death and therefore Neil should’ve been back for the vote. Apparently Armstrong and Tanonaka feel that Neil should’ve skipped any funeral planning and funeral attendance, plus other family obligations, and raced back to place a vote that would’ve made no difference on the outcome.
            How silly. It’s that kind of thinking that upset me in the first place, and it has nothing at all to do with politics.
            Lastly, Armstrong seems to not have noticed that there have been letters every single day since Tanonaka letter of 12/15/04, all of them chastising Tanonaka for his callousness. I wonder why Armstrong didn’t address those letters, and I also wonder why Tanonaka himself hasn’t replied and instead leaves it to a spinmeister like Armstrong.
            Oh well, politics as usual.

>> Now let's get on with the next thread please! <<

I think that decision is up to the moderator.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              Lastly, Armstrong seems to not have noticed that there have been letters every single day since Tanonaka letter of 12/15/04, all of them chastising Tanonaka for his callousness. I wonder why Armstrong didn’t address those letters, and I also wonder why Tanonaka himself hasn’t replied and instead leaves it to a spinmeister like Armstrong.
              Oh well, politics as usual.
              Hope you ventilated, and yes, it's up to the moderator. I wish you Happy Holidays and a Safe New year. Gosh, I thought only I had bitterness and huhu. Life is to short my dear to waste on trivial things. Now, I live and enjoy each day as my last for it is so true. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                He notes that the vote was held on December 7 and that Abercrombie was not there.
                Chee. I wonder why Hawaii's congressionals weren't in Washington, D.C., on December 7? Too bad they missed the vote.

I wonder where New York's congressionals all were on September 11?

Blaine
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                  Chee. I wonder why Hawaii's congressionals weren't in Washington, D.C., on December 7? Too bad they missed the vote.

I wonder where New York's congressionals all were on September 11?
                  Aaaaaah, a most excellent point, Blaine!

Comment

This thing sickens me, and not because of Tanonaka's letter. In the political game, a letter like this is just one move--a within-the-bounds move. As a political opponent, Tanonaka's playing within the usual boundaries when he writes a letter like this. When the circumstances were published, the game is expected to be put on hold. "Whoa," he should have said. "Safe word! Safe word!" Death in the family moves stuff from professional to personal, and that's not how the game is played.

He should have said he was an idiot. He should have explained that his careful watch on Abercrombie's performance is in the public's best interest and that he plans to be on him like this for the next two years in hopes of another shot at representing Hawaii in the 2006 elections. Then he should have said that this was out of line, that he was deeply sorry for Abercrombie's loss and for his own quick-to-judge display. It's a reasonable mistake and people in Hawaii are forgiving (ask Mufi) but yeah, you gotta admit you screwed up.

I didn't vote for Abercrombie or Tanonaka, but I was encouraged to see a decently contested race for such an important office--Democrats get free passes far too often in this state, and that's not good for the system, no matter what your political leaning--and am sorry to see that Tanonaka doesn't know better than to put his hackles up and fight rather than withdraw and say sorry.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

What Scrivener said. Dalton can play the game and still act like a human being.

Comment

Bottom line is that Dalton Tanonaka put his foot in his mouth and kicked Neil Abercrombie when he was down. Not a good political move.

I'm absolutely sure in my mind that it wasn't an intentional kick but it still hurt and for that I think Dalton needs to publically apologize to everyone for his ill-timed remark.

I also must believe that the timing and placement of both obit and editorial had some political motivation from the paper that printed it. And for that I say SHAME on the publication that did it.

I gotta admit though, I would have loved to see the look on Dalton's face when he realized he just single-handedly ravaged his own political career. That would have been priceless in my book. Oh well, such is the life of a politician.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I WILL SUPPORT MR.DALTON TANONAKA COME HIGH OR LOW WATERS! HE IS A GOOD MAN AND HAS ONLY GOOD INTENTIONS FOR THE PEOPLE! He who is without sin, cast the first stone............ GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                            GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES, GOD BLESS AMERICA!
                            Amen! ~ ~ ~ ~
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              I gotta admit though, I would have loved to see the look on Dalton's face when he realized he just single-handedly ravaged his own political career. That would have been priceless in my book. Oh well, such is the life of a politician.
                              Indeed. Seems a politician is willing to say anything, as long as it isn't, "I erred, and I apologize." Despite the fact that a one or two sentence mea culpa would have done wonders for Tanonaka's battered image, compared to the even deeper hole created by a politician-esque, four-paragraph mess of excuses and rationalization.

I mean, c'mon... saying "I didn't know" doesn't suddenly make "I'm sorry" impossible to say. In fact, I think the two phrases can go quite well together.
                              I WILL SUPPORT MR.DALTON TANONAKA COME HIGH OR LOW WATERS!
                              Just not at 10:32 p.m. on December 15th, 2004, right, Lynn?

Comment

Working...
                              X