Included software:
    -- Linspire 4.5 operating system
    -- OpenOffice.org - full-featured Microsoft file-compatible office suite
    with word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation programs
    -- Internet suite including email with spam blockers, Internet browser,
    and built-in firewall
    -- More than 1,900 free software programs for download, with guaranteed
    software updates for 3 months

More specifications for the Balance $498 laptop are available at http://www.linspire.com/498.

This will only be available through www.walmart.com, not at the local WMs.

Miulang

One more thing: Caveat emptor! Remember, this is WalMart.

http://www.investors.com/breakingnew...nalid=24660971
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Walmart.com sells $498 laptop

Miulang....

Thank you for that great info. & weblink.

I am sure we will all find it very useful.

May you & your family have a Merry Christmas &
    a Very Happy New Year.

Mele Kalikimaka
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

hmmm, buy a OEM version of XP, add in a powerpoint viewer, and that computer might be good as a presentation laptop.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

that's a good way to promote your OS...bundle it with a cheap computer.
        Fair and Balanced

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
          hmmm, buy a OEM version of XP, add in a powerpoint viewer, and that computer might be good as a presentation laptop.

Can you run Power point with an OS unlike MS? As for the memory, I think 128mb is a bit lacking. Now days 256 is the absolute mininum for most graphic presentations of any sort.

I'd be leary about these kinds of laptops. Very limited in what they can do and limited in the ability to be updated. Even if you wiped out the Linspire OS and put in MS, at 1gh processing speed that's basically a Celeron or Pent III. You can run XP on but not very well at 128Mb. Your better MS OS should be WIN 2000 at best or WIN 98SE. The problem with 98SE is the driver support for today's printers and other peripherals.

For $498, you'd have to spend another $100+ for a Win OS and $50 for additional RAM just to get it to run most of today's software, IF that software can run on a P3 at all. For $50-$100 more you can buy a Dell with a Celeron 2.26 Ghz processor, 256Mb of DDR ram, cd-rw/dvd rom and WIN XP home addition installed.

For $500 I'd save my money or buy a used but more powerful laptop off of ebay that CAN run today's software and is upgradable to compete for at least another year or so. P3's are obsolete software wise and to a point hardware wise. That's why I've upgraded all of my kid's computers to either pentium 4's or celerons with the Prescott core. Everything else is practically recycle material.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Can you run Power point with an OS unlike MS? As for the memory, I think 128mb is a bit lacking. Now days 256 is the absolute mininum for most graphic presentations of any sort.

I'd be leary about these kinds of laptops. Very limited in what they can do and limited in the ability to be updated. Even if you wiped out the Linspire OS and put in MS, at 1gh processing speed that's basically a Celeron or Pent III. You can run XP on but not very well at 128Mb. Your better MS OS should be WIN 2000 at best or WIN 98SE. The problem with 98SE is the driver support for today's printers and other peripherals.

For $498, you'd have to spend another $100+ for a Win OS and $50 for additional RAM just to get it to run most of today's software, IF that software can run on a P3 at all. For $50-$100 more you can buy a Dell with a Celeron 2.26 Ghz processor, 256Mb of DDR ram, cd-rw/dvd rom and WIN XP home addition installed.

For $500 I'd save my money or buy a used but more powerful laptop off of ebay that CAN run today's software and is upgradable to compete for at least another year or so. P3's are obsolete software wise and to a point hardware wise. That's why I've upgraded all of my kid's computers to either pentium 4's or celerons with the Prescott core. Everything else is practically recycle material.
            Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I just checked walmart's website, and that computer is an AMD Athlon computer. The specs looks very similar to our 5 year old compaq computer, so I know I have the patience for it.

And for $100 more, you can get:
            -14.1-inch XGA TFT Display
            -1.2 GHz Mobile AMD Athlon 4
            -256 MB RAM
            -40 GB hard drive
            -DVD-ROM+CD-RW combo drive
            -Integrated 802.11b wireless

But I still don't trust ebay (unless someone does all of the auctioning for me, then I'll give the money and I'll get the product safely) so that won't be an option for me.

And if you go here, then you'll see this:
            Processor Brand: Intel

Processor Type: AMD
            LMAO!!
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
            X