This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ka who na?!

so, now once again, we see a Sacred aspect of Hawaii become another pop culture product, fodder for the reality tv masses, feeding their insatiable hunger for low level entertainment:
    The world of wedding planners, at least seen through the microcosm of a few on Hawaii island, will get the small screen treatment courtesy of Lifetime Television with a possible docu-soap series called "The Big Kahuna". apparently a reference to the competition inherent in the industry and the striving to be the one on top o da heap.

Re: ka who na?!

Originally posted by kimo55
    so, now once again, we see a Sacred aspect of Hawaii become another pop culture product, fodder for the reality tv masses, feeding their insatiable hunger for low level entertainment:
    The world of wedding planners, at least seen through the microcosm of a few on Hawaii island, will get the small screen treatment courtesy of Lifetime Television with a possible docu-soap series called "The Big Kahuna". apparently a reference to the competition inherent in the industry and the striving to be the one on top o da heap.
    Bahaha! Wedding planners???Jeez. Bad enough when they used to use the term "Big Kahuna" in surfing. What is the premise of the show? A reality "Love Boat"?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Bahaha! Wedding planners??? What is the premise of the show?
      Miulang
      apparently an overview and daily live journal of the ...get this: "hypercompetitive world" of wedding planners, initially from the perspective of one particular lil dynamo named debbie who appparently has enuff energy to base a show around, according to the creator who found her when she hired her to do her own wedding...

sheesh; "hypercompetitive".. on Hawaii?!

Comment

apparently an overview and daily live journal of the ...get this: "hypercompetitive world" of wedding planners, initially from the perspective of one particular lil dynamo named debbie who appparently has enuff energy to base a show around, according to the creator who found her when she hired her to do her own wedding...

sheesh; "hypercompetitive".. on Hawaii?!
        Yeah, but why call it "The Big Kahuna"? Why not "Wedding Belle Blues:The Series" or something like that? "Wedding Belle Blues in Hawai'i?" if they gotta have that tag?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, but why call it "The Big Kahuna"? Why not "Wedding Belle Blues:The Series" or something like that? "Wedding Belle Blues in Hawai'i?" if they gotta have that tag?

Miulang

anything but kahuna. This proposed television show on modern competitive business has absolutely nothing to do with a sacred keeper of ancient wisdom or a noble, respected high master of a craft of old Hawaii and it further spreads ignorance, denigration, insult and ignorance toward a major part of Hawaiian culture.
          The proliferation of other examples of this kind of ignorance notwithstanding, I think it's just a good idea to nip it in the bud when we see instances of this. Just like the term "guru"; too inappropriately overused in contemporary language. It is a Sankskrit word meaning religious Hindu sacred spiritual teacher. One who is a conduit to self-realisation. But far too many people use it as a common moniker meaning anyone that has a little more knowledge about a particular field than most;
          Food guru.
          web guru.
          marketing guru
          etc.

Anyone who would prefer to see american pop culture stop another example of the appropriation of sacred aspects of a culture they know nothing about and of which they care even less,

Please convey your protestations to:

Carole Black

President & CEO

Lifetime Television

309 W. 49th Street

New York, NY 10019

(212) 424-7293

*http://www.lifetimetv.com/

http://www.lifetimetv.com/about/write.html
          Last edited by kimo55; December 29, 2004, 10:15 AM.

Comment

There's something eerily familiar about this...

Well, at least this Kahuna-dubbed product will actually have a link to Hawaii, beyond wood paneling and a two-tone "Pacific Blue" paint job.

Comment

Aloha Bro! Mo bettah than schizoaffectve,duh? Wuz up y'all?
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I did a Google search on "Big+Kahuna" and it came up with 208,000 links!!!
                Some of the links are to people and institutions who should know better...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Well, at least this Kahuna-dubbed product will actually have a link to Hawaii
                  in their eyes this may justify it but not in mine.

Comment

in their eyes this may justify it but not in mine.
                    I agree. Which is why I like "The Bounty Hunter" so much. It's set in Hawai'i but doesn't make any pretenses other than it just happens that Dog's office is in Honolulu. Crime is crime, after all. The network probably could have put in a Hawaiian tie in the title, but I'm glad they didn't.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      There's something eerily familiar about this...

Yes. In full disclosure, we have awareness.
                      That is why I started the post with:

"so, now once again, ... "

Comment

I agree. Which is why I like "The Bounty Hunter" so much. It's set in Hawai'i but doesn't make any pretenses other than it just happens that Dog's office is in Honolulu. Crime is crime, after all. The network probably could have put in a Hawaiian tie in the title, but I'm glad they didn't.

Miulang

That spot he uses as an office, I almost rented that a few years ago...
                        ...came this close. Woulda been freaky to have it; sits right across da street from my old intermediate school.

That show is a crack-up.
                        (no pun intended)

The whole family is soo fun to watch. and I love how Dog comes on strong but then gives a heartfelt sincere toughlove "talking to" to da tita or blalah when they catch da buggah. He's a guy with a big heart and priorities in da right place.
                        And I am charmed with the way he interacts with his keiki.
                        I am glad the show is growing in popularity. Couldn't happen to a more deserving, nicer bunch!
                        You go, dawg!
                        Last edited by kimo55; December 29, 2004, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Gotta admit that I watched the two episodes of Bounty Hunter last night. I agree with what you guys said, for the most part, but I had to laugh some too. I mean, Dog and his posse are dressed up like a SWAT team and acting all huhu and such, but the two people he busted last night were guilty of... harassment, and overdue parking tickets!!!

The way he and his kids acted you'd have thought they were going after Charles Manson or something. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                            Gotta admit that I watched the two episodes of Bounty Hunter last night. I agree with what you guys said, for the most part, but I had to laugh some too. I mean, Dog and his posse are dressed up like a SWAT team and acting all huhu and such, but the two people he busted last night were guilty of... harassment, and overdue parking tickets!!!

The way he and his kids acted you'd have thought they were going after Charles Manson or something. LOL
                            Well you know they can't really go after the bad bad guys because all they are armed with are plastic handcuffs and cans of mace!

Miulang

Comment

Well you know they can't really go after the bad bad guys because all they are armed with are plastic handcuffs and cans of mace!
                              And the badges... don't forget the badges!
                              LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X