Redeem those Xmas gift cards ASAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redeem those Xmas gift cards ASAP!

If you got any of those gift cards for merchandise for a Christmas present instead of that white elephant from Auntie Thelma, make sure you cash those in asap or at the very least, read the "fine print" about redemption.

Some gift cards lose their value fairly quickly through nonusage fees or may have expiration dates.

Miulang

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/29/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Redeem those Xmas gift cards ASAP!

I would go for the universal gift card. It's called CASH. It has no expiration date, retains it's value (at least in the US), and can be used anywhere.

Comment

Why couldn't I have known that a week ago, when my Mom gave a $200 gift card at Circuit City?

I could have gotten a phone with that money.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Muilang....

Would purchasing a gift certificate (check) any way similar to a "Gift Card"?
        *biting partial of the bottom lip, in hopes that it is very different*

The reasons for that is, that my friend is purchasing one in the near future for one of her relatives as gift. Should I discourage her from getting a gift certificate(check)?. Don't know if it is any similar to a gift card, or not.Should she just give cash or check?.
        What's your opinion on this?
        Is it the same as a gift card, that it will loose its value, also?.

Just Thought I would ask.

Thank you.

Have a Good new year!. Felis Navidad!.
        Last edited by Serenity; December 30, 2004, 08:56 PM.
        Aches & Pains
        (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Both gift certificates and gift cards can have lots of fine print. But I think you're more likely to find your gift's value slowly chipped away with the electronic debit card. After all, since they control the data linked to the card, they can easily quietly reduce the balance over time until there's nothing left. A printed gift certificate will always say $20... the only big worry you should have there is the expiration date.

Note, however, that as the article linked above explained, there are some states that have specific laws restricting the assessment of fees and the expiration of gift certificates and gift cards. I know Hawaii law has a few consumer protection laws like this, but I'm not sure where it stands on gift certificates and gift cards specifically.

Comment

Pzarquon....

Thank you for replying back in ragards to my question of gift certificate/card.
            Atleast with the Certificate(check), I am not to worried about loosing its
            values, & that my friend can purchase one. That is also a good source of information if the next time I think about purchasing A gift certificate check for others.
            I figure, with the expiration date, who ever is the one who is receiving it,
            will be one who has to worry when the last day to use it.
            I would rather do it that way, as oppose to a gift card that loose its value.
            Companies now a days, make it for consumers to feel that; it's not worth the effort to buy a gift card that will loose its value, & in turn purcahase a gift certificate instead that wont loose its value at all, the only down side to that is, yes it does have its "expiration date". Hmmm....I wonder, Is that the real plan, all along? Is to have consumers purchase gift certificate(s) instead of a gift card(s)?.

Happy New Year!.
            Aches & Pains
            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Working...
            X