Wet Welcome for 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Welcome for 2005

With a new year just around the corner, weather folks have been predicting all week that a major storm will strike as the islands crosses the threshold into 2005. As of this morning, the storm has already begun to drench Kauai.

Of course, folks are constantly haunted by the memory of the 1987-1988 New Year's Flood, which caused nearly $34 million in flood damage. But worry isn't the only emotion swirling around in the high winds. "Our fire department people are happy because it will be a wet and rainy fireworks night," Kaua'i Civil Defense spokesman Mark Marshall told the Honolulu Advertiser. "But they are the only people happy at this point."

Re: Wet Welcome for 2005

I hope it rains buckets tonight, but I suspect that even if it does it will just delay the explosions by a day. A 35% increase in permit-buying? I've been giving the dog sedatives every night for thunder already!
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I hope for lots of rain too for two reasons, it keeps my two 5,000 gallon catchment tanks full and because I live where there is no county water and lots of open fields of bamboo orchids, if a bottle rocket were to land in one of these dry fields, there isn't a fire hydrant in miles to help put it out but there are homes that will help fuel that brush fire. Rain is a blessing, and for Manoa and Kapolei, it will help cleanse the air tonight.

As for tonight I'm so glad I won't be anywhere near those two districts as it's gonna be like a smoke fest there. My brother in law lives in Summer Hill in Kapolei on a culdesac and every year that little turn around has a pile of debris from fireworks that covers the entire asphalt to a depth of 6-8 inches! I joke to him that there's enough fireworks spent to have paid for his new SUV!

Tonight it's sparklers for the kids, these little gems cost far less, are more safe, and it doesn't just explode and that's it, it gives you maybe half a minute of pyrotechnics to enjoy. My wife and I will be enjoying an intimate time with my family deep in Keaau celebrating the new year.

Happy New Years everybody and....SEE YA NEXT YEAR!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Okay I opened the bottle too early! Have a safe one!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There was a big menacing dark cloud to the south of Honolulu about an hour or so ago, but when it finally reached the city, it kind of sprinkled some big rain drops on my windshield before going away. The city is overcast for sure and I suspect the rest of the island. Perhaps there is rain up in central and windward Oahu. Not HNL so far.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Pretty quiet near the airport. Gray skies, but I've seen more menacing, darker clouds on days without flash flood warnings. I also noted on a KGMB crawl that the high-wind warning was canceled. I wonder if this storm is mostly going to graze Honolulu, rather than slam it head on?

You know, firefighters were probably cheering the probability of a wet New Year's Eve, but what if they get the wind, but no rain? Suddenly you have illegal aerials traveling far off course... onto roofs, into fields... Eep!

Comment

Aloha,

I wish I was over there with all that rain that you are going to be getting.
            The sun is shining here in Washington but the temps are in the high 30's, and we are to be getting maybe snow. I live on the coast so I probably wont see the snow but still BRRRRRRR.

Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by charlene
              Aloha,

I wish I was over there with all that rain that you are going to be getting.
              The sun is shining here in Washington but the temps are in the high 30's, and we are to be getting maybe snow. I live on the coast so I probably wont see the snow but still BRRRRRRR.

Charlene

No rain here; afternoon of the last day of 2004, in Hawaii Kai.
              breezy.
              lite sprinkles for a few minutes, there...
              grey overcast but not at all cold.

Comment

Last week there was another subject posted, regarding if you think it'll rain on Christmas Day. Most of the comments said, "RAIN!" My MAMA and a good source(My ANGELS) said it wiould NOT...I belived them both. I then said I hope and pray it would rain like cats and dogs on New Year's Eve cause I hate the fireworks,smoke and noise. Well, GOD heard my prayers and my ANGELS put in a good word for me too! It's gonna STORM! Blind date is cancelled...I'm taking my MAMA to a GAY BAR to PARTY! Tomarrow, got to get up early and cook for my family! Haouli Makahiki Hou 2005! Oh! I finally resolved my issues with the President of MWH Tenant Association,oops, this ain't my BLOG, it's Hawaii Threads! Sorry!heheheh
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It's been pretty quiet in Kailua this afternoon...lotsa gray clouds but no rain yet.
                  http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H.
                    It's been pretty quiet in Kailua this afternoon...lotsa gray clouds but no rain yet.
                    and now, east oahu get da kine. jezz started a lil aftah 6 pm.
                    cool. goin keep da fires down, only bummah is; goin wash all da gunpowder into da ocean. kill da sealife and reef. stupid humans.
                    happy near beer, anyway.

Comment

Last 2004 afternoon photos of a gray day in Hawaii for December 31.

http://macpro.buzznet.com/user/?id=765271
                      http://macpro.buzznet.com/user/?id=765282
                      http://macpro.buzznet.com/user/?id=765301

More than 1,000 photos online, visit Mel's BuzzNet Photo site.

Have a good year ahead folks.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        and now, east oahu get da kine. jezz started a lil aftah 6 pm.
                        cool. goin keep da fires down, only bummah is; goin wash all da gunpowder into da ocean. kill da sealife and reef. stupid humans.
                        happy near beer, anyway.
                        Aloha and A Happy New Year Everyone! My MAMA and me getting ready to go out to bring in the nEw Year! To all of you, mahalo for keeping my mind busy although my heart is aching from breaking up with my boyfriend of five years. Plus, whateva's going on in my mind...

Next year 2005 seemed to be grey and far out of reach for me at one time...now, I look forward in living it! I've laughed,cried,learned and rolled over the floor from the comments here...especially from BRO KIMO! PZARQUON, thanks so much! Oh, wats Pzarquon?
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                        X