X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malasadas Cooking Question

I'm making malasadas for the first time and my question is this:

Should the dough be very soft and wet?

Is dropping the dough into the oil with a spoon the best method?

The recipe I'm using gives a range of flour to use but doesn't say how wet it should be. It also says to drop by teaspoon but won't that make mini-malasadas?

Thanks for any and all answers!

Re: Malasadas Cooking Question

Originally posted by glossyp
    Is dropping the dough into the oil with a spoon the best method?
    Thanks for any and all answers!

use a catapult.

Comment

tablespoon, make sure the oil is really hot! Be caeful...don't forget to roll um in sugar!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Wet? You mean wet with water? If so, I would make sure there's not too much water otherwise it will spatter when you dip them into the hot oil.

Also, depending on your fryer, I try to shape the malasadas a little on the thin side, otherwise, if your fryer is too hot, you'll have burnt malasadas that are raw in the inside....

Actually, what works pretty good is using Pillsbury biscuit mix at your supermarket's refrigerator section. I fry these guys up and they taste pretty close to malasadas. Don't forget the sugar!

Comment

Glossyp....
          Hope this recipe link helps.....

Malasada Recipe

Godd Luck.
          Aches & Pains
          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

In the Alohaworld Ono Recipes website, there are 4 recipes for malasadas (2 use the Pillsbury Dough method), and the other 2 are "from scratch".

Using a tablespoon to drop the dough into the hot oil will give you malasadas that are about 2 bites big; the yeast in the dough will make the malasadas puff up. Malasadas are the Portuguese version of beignets, which are a big deal in New Orleans.

Miulang

http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe.php?id=1052237938
            http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe.php?id=1096952448
            http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe.php?id=1096952448
            http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe.php?id=1097031891
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I always use a tablespoon and it's no way two bites BIG!
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                I always use a tablespoon and it's no way two bites BIG!
                What kine tablespoon you use? One soup tablespoon or one measuring spoon tablespoon? Make difference, you know.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  What kine tablespoon you use? One soup tablespoon or one measuring spoon tablespoon? Make difference, you know.

Miulang
                  LOL!

We did a fundraiser where you get the batter, shortening, sugar, etc. Cooking temp of oil was 350 degrees and we used an ice cream scoop for the batter.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                    LOL!

We did a fundraiser where you get the batter, shortening, sugar, etc. Cooking temp of oil was 350 degrees and we used an ice cream scoop for the batter.
                    What? You from Punahou? I hear dey make onolicious malasadas! If you use one ice cream scoop, you going make da kine big bumbucha kine malasadas. Going take one whole day foa whack 'em up.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      What? You from Punahou? I hear dey make onolicious malasadas! If you use one ice cream scoop, you going make da kine big bumbucha kine malasadas. Going take one whole day foa whack 'em up.

Miulang
                      Well it depends on what kine ice cream scoop you talking about. haha jk.
                      Actually it was for church and we got the stuff from Agnes Bake Shop in Kailua. They were regular run of the mill size malasadas I guess ... hmmm about 3 inch diameter.

Comment

Hey, thanks everybody for the links, advice and first hand knowledge! Here is how they turned out.

The dough (which was very sticky - I should have used that word instead of "wet") went through 2 rises and really exploded on the second rise spilling out of the bowl. Next time I'll use more flour so the dough is easier to manage. They were really yeasty tasting too a bit more than I like so I think more flour will help.

I tried teaspoons, tablespoons and the measuring spoon tablespoon but ended up using the tablespoons as the size was about right to get completely cooked without drying.

I heated the oil to 365 at first but turned down to 350 as cezanne mentioned as they were getting too brown but still gooey in the middle.

Mistake on the first batch was to let the oil drain off them before putting in sugar - my beloved came in, saw that and immediately took over the sugar rolling process insisting they must go straight to sugar from oil.

So, all in all it was fun and I'd give them a C+ or B-. Thanks for all the kind assistance!

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                          Hey, thanks everybody for the links, advice and first hand knowledge! Here is how they turned out.

The dough (which was very sticky - I should have used that word instead of "wet") went through 2 rises and really exploded on the second rise spilling out of the bowl. Next time I'll use more flour so the dough is easier to manage. They were really yeasty tasting too a bit more than I like so I think more flour will help.

I tried teaspoons, tablespoons and the measuring spoon tablespoon but ended up using the tablespoons as the size was about right to get completely cooked without drying.

I heated the oil to 365 at first but turned down to 350 as cezanne mentioned as they were getting too brown but still gooey in the middle.

Mistake on the first batch was to let the oil drain off them before putting in sugar - my beloved came in, saw that and immediately took over the sugar rolling process insisting they must go straight to sugar from oil.

So, all in all it was fun and I'd give them a C+ or B-. Thanks for all the kind assistance!
                          You don't have to wait for the second rise. Next time, skip that rise and fry 'em up. They'll come out just as puffy and you can grind an hour sooner!

Miulang

Comment

I was the Malasadas chairperson for the Kamehameha Schools Band Booster club one year and we make undoubtedly the best malasadas! Compared to Punahou...Kam can...Punahou no can

The secret is all in how long you let the dough rise and the use of good cooking oil at the right temperature. We use a press to cut out the right size dough (about the size of one of those KFC biscuits cut in half then let them rise to about the size of one of those KFC biscuits before you cut them in half)

To get an even deep fry, you gotta hold them down deep in the oil where it's really hot. Don't leave it in too long or else it will burn or absorb too much oil. If you leave it floating on top (like Punahou) it won't cook consistantly.

Also if you pinch and drop you get pointy and poorly uniformly shaped malasadas. If you gotta pinch, let the dough rise first then place it in the deep fryer. But if you don't let the dough rise your malasadas will have this mushy uncooked center and the outside will be too crusty.

As soon as the malasadas comes out of the deep fryer, let them drop on a clean cardboard sheet (to absorb most of the oil) flip them over and then quickly pour the sugar on top. After coating with sugar, enjoy!
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              I was the Malasadas chairperson for the Kamehameha Schools Band Booster club one year and we make undoubtedly the best malasadas! Compared to Punahou...Kam can...Punahou no can

The secret is all in how long you let the dough rise and the use of good cooking oil at the right temperature. We use a press to cut out the right size dough (about the size of one of those KFC biscuits cut in half then let them rise to about the size of one of those KFC biscuits before you cut them in half)

To get an even deep fry, you gotta hold them down deep in the oil where it's really hot. Don't leave it in too long or else it will burn or absorb too much oil. If you leave it floating on top (like Punahou) it won't cook consistantly.

Also if you pinch and drop you get pointy and poorly uniformly shaped malasadas. If you gotta pinch, let the dough rise first then place it in the deep fryer. But if you don't let the dough rise your malasadas will have this mushy uncooked center and the outside will be too crusty.

As soon as the malasadas comes out of the deep fryer, let them drop on a clean cardboard sheet (to absorb most of the oil) flip them over and then quickly pour the sugar on top. After coating with sugar, enjoy!
                              Eh, dakine you guys make more like one doughnut dough (can be cut in a round shape). Dakine Glossyp was making was da drop kine, da kine where da dough sticky "wet" so cannot cut 'em.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X