19 year old seeking a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19 year old seeking a job

I'm getting impatient, going through college, and not being able to help my parents (and myself) with the bills.

Anyone is looking for a good computer geek?

I know just about every Operating System from Microsoft Windows 95, 98, 2000, and XP Home. I just built a computer last year, and I'm good in solving computer problems (especially hardware).

I also do spyware/adaware removal and "computer cleaning" (both hardware and software).

I'd love to work at CompUSA or Circuit City, but they're filled with noobs or people that will make me confused with their skills.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: 19 year old seeking a job

Originally posted by adri1456
    I'm getting impatient, going through college, and not being able to help my parents (and myself) with the bills.

Anyone is looking for a good computer geek?
    four words:

want ads

phone book

Comment

You might try working for a temp agency. They can usually get you a job for $10/hour (probably much more than working for CompUSA or Circuity City) based on your skills. Try someone like Remedy Staffing.
      live aloha

Comment

Get a business license,put an ad in the papers and get going!You don't need an office. Ask your parents for the garage to start out. Theres a lot of customers out there that need help with fixing their computers, programming,etc. I enjoy your whatshamacallits! You've got talent kid, don't wait for anything to happen...go out and seek! Welcome to the real WORLD! yOU HAVE TO WORK HARD FOR SUCCESS, it doesn't come sitting and waiting...doesn't work that way.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          Get a business license,put an ad in the papers and get going!You don't need an office. Ask your parents for the garage to start out. Theres a lot of customers out there that need help with fixing their computers, programming,etc. I enjoy your whatshamacallits! You've got talent kid, don't wait for anything to happen...go out and seek! Welcome to the real WORLD! yOU HAVE TO WORK HARD FOR SUCCESS, it doesn't come sitting and waiting...doesn't work that way.
          I HATE BUSINESS!

If I'm taking a business class, then I'd do it, but I'm not.

And we don't actually have a garage, but more of a "car port".

Comment

Originally posted by slippahs
            You might try working for a temp agency. They can usually get you a job for $10/hour (probably much more than working for CompUSA or Circuity City) based on your skills. Try someone like Remedy Staffing.
            BIG DITTO! you can gain experience in IT by working for a temp agency.
            Fair and Balanced

Comment

I HATE BUSINESS!

If I'm taking a business class, then I'd do it, but I'm not.

And we don't actually have a garage, but more of a "car port".
              They say you you are what you write...

You have talent, I didn't mean for you to go 100% into business, but like all other things...there are rules and regulations. Hence, Buiness License! Tax, etx,etc. Another good advice this morning was working TEMP! Sitting at home, complaining, isn't gonna help bring in the dough, unless you go on welfare or get SSI and wait for checks once a month! Then again, our system makes it easy for everyone to become cripples and live off other people's sweat! Don't you go giving me attitude Young Man! GROW UP! Or better yet, since you got a Degree (not Business) join the Military and become an Officer and a Gentelman!

Comment

To come to Adrian's defense lido bit, he's a good guy. Lives at home, helps his Mom out (and his Mama raised him to be a thoughtful, helpful person, which is a plus), doesn't even drive a car right now and has to get to school on a bus. Sometimes he gets overwhelmed by stuff (like Linux class--remember sweating that, Adrian?). His heart really is in the right place, but like a lot of young people, he doesn't realize that it's up to him to achieve full potential. All us makule guys can do is just try to tell him about our own experiences (good, bad or indifferent).

I can remember times when I was young (once) and for everything I thought I wanted to do in life, I could find about 15 reasons why I couldn't do it. I think it's just a phase in life everybody has to go through before they realize they are the ones who really determine their own destiny. At some point, you say, "so what if there's x, y and z reasons why I shouldn't be able to do it. I going try anyway." That's when you become empowered and can take on things you never thought you could. And if you fail sometimes, that's OK too, because you learned something in the process. If you succeed, ho da good feeling!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  doesn't even drive a car right now and has to get to school on a bus. Sometimes he gets overwhelmed by stuff
                  Miulang

...when I was your age, I had to walk to school, a full mile in the hot humid sweltering unbearable lovely Hawaiian weather! lemme tellya, it was tough! getting sand in my sleepahs, having falling coconuts nearly miss me by 6 yards! The extremely tourturous temptation to jezz bodysurf all day in dat ocean a few feet away, while I trudge that looong mile to school. Ho, da ruff days we had.

Bus? dass fo nerds. Only time I saw the insides o' one o doze wus field trips to bishop museum.

Comment

Looking at this thread, there are certainly a lot of great suggestions in finding a job for someone who is attending college.

Although, I've found out that doing both often results on these two cases:

Being too dedicated with your job results in poor grades in school because you spend too much time thinking about work.
                    OR
                    The employer who hired you starts complaining about your work performance because you are busy with classes, midterms, or finals.

Believe me, I’ve experienced both scenarios before. If you want a part time job, I recommend checking out your college to see if there are any “student” jobs available on campus. In this case, your employer will be flexible with you in times of midterms and finals.

If money is a serious issue, I would look into taking out a student loan. After experiencing the two scenarios above, I decided to just quit the whole work deal. I took out a student loan to fund 4 semesters, 18 credits per semester, at UH and just burned it right through. That’s probably two years of no life and hard work, but I got it done and earned my degree.

Today, I’m doing pretty good here in the SF bay area. Got a good job, paid off all my student loans, got married, bought a nice house, cars, and all that American dream stuff.

Comment

To come to Adrian's defense lido bit, he's a good guy. Lives at home, helps his Mom out (and his Mama raised him to be a thoughtful, helpful person, which is a plus)
                      Miulang
                      Yes, some mothers are lucky to have their children home to help out...

Adrian,you never know until you do it...at least try. Anything is better than wishing and hoping. I took a look at the other posts(before posting this), didn't realize you're still going to school! GOOD LUCK! GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Comment

<snip>Sometimes he gets overwhelmed by stuff (like Linux class--remember sweating that, Adrian?). <snip>
                        Miulang
                        Don't remind me about linux.

I have to take another Linux class next quarter, and I don't think I'll have the same teacher.

Originally posted by 808_m3
                        Looking at this thread, there are certainly a lot of great suggestions in finding a job for someone who is attending college.

Although, I've found out that doing both often results on these two cases:

Being too dedicated with your job results in poor grades in school because you spend too much time thinking about work.
                        OR
                        The employer who hired you starts complaining about your work performance because you are busy with classes, midterms, or finals.

Believe me, I’ve experienced both scenarios before. If you want a part time job, I recommend checking out your college to see if there are any “student” jobs available on campus. In this case, your employer will be flexible with you in times of midterms and finals.

If money is a serious issue, I would look into taking out a student loan.<snip>
                        My Parents are paying for 2 college student's education, have one job apiece, my Mom takes care of a foster care home (we have one "alert client" who just needs help with his surgery wounds, and one who is bed ridden and needs 24hr care, and I have to help my Mom with that) plus occasionally goes to a child care center to help close down for the day (her old job) and that's when I have to be home taking care of the clients.

Instead of waiting 5+ years for them to pay for my education, I'm thinking of starting early and just put school on hold for a while, then go back.

Comment

Don't remind me about linux.

I have to take another Linux class next quarter, and I don't think I'll have the same teacher.

My Parents are paying for 2 college student's education, have one job apiece, my Mom takes care of a foster care home (we have one "alert client" who just needs help with his surgery wounds, and one who is bed ridden and needs 24hr care, and I have to help my Mom with that) plus occasionally goes to a child care center to help close down for the day (her old job) and that's when I have to be home taking care of the clients.

Instead of waiting 5+ years for them to pay for my education, I'm thinking of starting early and just put school on hold for a while, then go back.
                          Hate to say this, but my friends who decided to put school on "hold" for awhile don't go back. It's unfortunate that it happens because they get hung up on the earning a lot in the beginning. The regrets come later as they aren't able to qualify for much more challenging, and rewarding, oppurtunities that come with having a degree.

That cool, though, that you help your parents with the day-care deal. I think taking the student loan for yourself frees up their expenses. Taking out a loan and knowing that you have to pay it off later, is a very BIG incentive to get your degree ASAP.

Comment

UBER BUMP!!

3 months w/out school helpped me get a lot of things done (finished a CNA class but didn't get the CNA certified because I'm too stubborn to drift away from computers; worked on my computer [reformatted twice, added a top exhaust fan and a side window], reorganized my room; repainted a section of the house; amongst other things) but its the last month that killed me (I barely got anything done) and I think my brain is melting from the learning withdrawal.

Now my Mom is going crazy and how she's not even thinking of me (I have yet to receive this month's bus pass (money) even though I asked for it twice a day and I have a eye doctor appointment tomorrow (which I might be cancelling if I don't get up early enough to walk) and how she thinks I'm independant while out of school.
                            Last edited by adrian; April 5, 2005, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the world. As for your mom going crazy...welcome to my world!

Comment

Working...
                              X