X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozoni recipe

I know I'm asking this really LATE but does anyone have a simple recipe for
    the traditional Japanese soup eaten on New Year's Day? I could serve it for
    Chinese New Year which isn't until next month!
    Retired Senior Member

Re: Ozoni recipe

My wife found a recipe online (something like this one) and used that. I'll see if we can find the exact link. Sure was yummy! We used some 'blessed mochi' our Buddhist church gave us. Every grocery store was sold out of the mizuna, but we just used run-of-the-mill konbu and it was fine.

Comment

Traditional ozoni is made with bonito broth (you can buy bonito shavings and add them to water to get the broth...it also comes in the form of cubes which you can find at any Asian grocery store). Most people don't bother with that and use chicken stock instead. The mochi you use has to be HARD (don't ask me why, because by putting it in the broth it softens it up again, but when my grandma used to make this, she let her mochi get all dried out and then used it for ozoni).

Here's a recipe using chicken broth: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...g/10514847.htm

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thank You, Mahalo, Doomo Arigato for your help. I didn't think of going to the
        Alohaworld site and view any recipes...lolo yah! Anyway these two will be very
        helpful and I will try them.
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

Miulang: When I went you your link that you posted I got the Miami Herald paper
          site. And I'd rather not sign up! Do you have a direct link to the Ozoni recipe?
          I've already printed up the recipe on Pzarquon's site...it even had a Oden recipe
          which I could make!
          Retired Senior Member

Comment

Here you go. No prob. Miulang

Associate.com's 160,000 Recipe Collection: June's Ozoni

Yield: 6 servings

4 Skinless chicken breasts
            2 Dried scallops; (optional)
            -- (up to 4)

1 1/2 c Peeled carrots in 2" strips
            1 1/2 c Peeled daikon in 2" strips

1 c Mizuna
            1 pk Red kamaboko; (fish cake)
            (I prefer brand name Yamasa)
            1 pk Mochi; (pounded rice cake)
            Salt; to taste

Make chicken stock by cooking chicken breasts in 8 cups boiling water and 2 teaspoons salt. Cook in boiling water for 10 minutes, (add dried scallops here if you like) then lower heat and cook for about 30 minutes. While making stock, wash and drain all vegetables. Cut mizuna into 2 strips (you won't need much of this-just to add green color). Slice the kamaboko fairly thin. Put a few mochi into toaster and toast until puffy.

Remove chicken from stock onto a plate. While chicken is cooling, strain the soup in either cheesecloth or some kind of cloth (I prefer using old restaurant linen because it strains better!) to strain to a clean pot. Add the carrots and daikon and cook until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Shred 1 breast of chicken and add to broth. Save the rest to make chicken salad or whatever for another time. Check flavor and add salt if needed.

Just before serving, put mizuna in soup just to parboil-must be crunch/crisp. Put toasted mochi in a bowl, pour the soup over mochi, then put several slices of kamaboko on top and serve.

This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings (8 cups).

Per serving: 173 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (10% calories from fat); 36g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 91mg Cholesterol; 102mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Source: "EAST MEETS WEST with Ming Tsai - (Show # MT-1C14) - from the TV FOOD NETWORK" S(Formatted for MC5): "11-02-1999 by Joe Comiskey - jcomiskey@krypto.net"

Recipe courtesy June Kuramoto
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Got it! Many Mahalos.
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

Miulang, the recipe you copied is from here. It's a bit different from the Miami Herald recipe you first linked (it covers making your own chicken stock, for one!). Oddly, I didn't get a sign-in or other barrier page at the Herald site, and that recipe accepts the blasphemy that is canned stock.

If you still can't get to the Herald without a login, BugMeNot to the rescue!

Comment

Sorry about that. Here's the Miami Herald Recipe:

Online-Only Recipe | New Year's soup

SOUP

NEW YEAR'S SOUP (Ozoni)

Japanese New Year's soup is usually made with dashi, a stock made from dried, shaved bonito (tuna) and konbu. This version, from an American woman married to a Japanese man, uses less complex chicken stock. Many types of kamaboko (fish paste cakes) are sold at the Japanese Market. Toast the mochi (rice cakes) under a broiler, a few minutes per side. Be careful when eating mochi; it's easy to choke on the chewy cakes.

4 cups chicken stock (homemade or canned)

½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small bite size pieces

2 medium carrots, scraped and chopped

1 (2-inch) length kamaboko (fish paste cake), thinly sliced

¼ cup sliced bamboo shoots

1 cup (packed) spinach leaves, coarsely chopped

1 tablespoon rice wine (sake)

Soy sauce

8 mochi rice cakes

Lemon peel, cut into 4 thin slivers

Combine the chicken stock and 2 cups water in a stock pot, and bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and carrots; cook until carrots are almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add the fish cake slices, bamboo shoots, spinach leaves and sake; season to taste with soy sauce. Simmer another few minutes. Toast the mochi on both sides until it begins to turn golden brown. Divide the soup among 4 bowls, and top each portion with 2 mochi cakes and a sliver of lemon peel. Makes 4 servings.

Source: Adapted from Rice Paddy Gourmet by Joan Itoh (Japan Times, 1976).

Comment

You two are saviors. I'll buy all the ingredients...although I don't know whether
                    they'd still have any mizuna I could use the substitute but it may not tast the
                    same. Thank you very much. How do I delete this thread now that I've gotten the answer...or do I need to?
                    Retired Senior Member

Comment

Working...
                    X