New stuff from Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New stuff from Mac

MacWorld will be holding its annual conference in San Francisco in a few weeks, and the article below describes some of the goodies that are expected to be announced, including a sub-$600 Mac! (Yeah, but will it have a hard drive??? )

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1748206,00.asp

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: New stuff from Mac

I hope a new price point for the iPod is part of the rollout. My wife loves hers too much to share!

An entry level Mac makes sense to me, considering how many non-Mac owners own iPods. I imagine that little music device might be the best channel Apple's ever had to make inroads in American households.

Comment

Instead of selling another mac for the "nonmac people", why don't they offer better support/programs for those who doesn't own a mac due to the fact that they don't have enough room for another mac? Sure, I can get an iMac and put it next to my windows desktop, but what if I don't like macs? (which I don't, but I don't want to waste any amount of money on hardware that will just be there for my iPod).
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I'm not sure I understand your comment. You want Mac to come out with something for people who don't like Macs? Erm... I suppose they could do that, but I certainly hope they cater first to Mac lovers, then to people open to considering a Mac.

One of the other popular rumors is cell phone hardware with iPod industrial design. Sounds interesting, but I really don't think Apple would go head to head with other hardware manufacturers in that space, like Nokia and Samsung.

Comment

The iPod works with Windows PCs. You don't need a Mac to enjoy the iPod. There are Windows versions of the iTunes which is used for synching your iPod with a PC and also buying songs from the iTunes Music Store.

Rumours are running rampant about a so-called "headless" iMac. Some of the speculation on various Mac websites say more than like this will be a headless "eMac," the ones with the G4 processor instead of the G5 as featured on the iMac.

Stil the set-up would include some kind of box for the CPU with a hard drive, CD RW drive at the low end and better stuff as you work your way up the price ladder.

There have also been rumours of a flash-based iPod that could be cheaper than the current low end iPod, the mini.

Of course Apple usually surprises the masses by coming out with something unexpected to either wow or disappoint the fans... (a speed bumped iMac for instance or maybe an iMac of a different color, which would not be a major change but just something else to market the brand).

The bottom line is don't hold your breath on any of these until they actually roll out next week.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            One of the other popular rumors is cell phone hardware with iPod industrial design. Sounds interesting, but I really don't think Apple would go head to head with other hardware manufacturers in that space, like Nokia and Samsung.
            Motorola previews iTunes-compatible cell phone

"the executive demonstrated the phone, which in many ways mimics the iPod. It syncs with a computer and the iTunes Music Store like an iPod does, and incorporates the iPod interface for navigating and playing digital music"

"The report says that the phone is the first of many Motorola devices that will support iTunes this year."
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

read it and weep...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UG94AML011.DTL

Comment

Just posted to the Apple website:

The iPod Shuffle. A "smaller than a pack of gum" 512MB or 1GB flash-memory based iPod, starting at $99. A mini-mini, a new "entry level" Apple-branded music player, one without a drop-sensitive hard drive... or a display. Hmm.

The Mac Mini, a $499 entry-level Mac, measuring 6.5 inches wide and 2 inches tall, with a G4 chip, 40 or 80GB hard drive, and other goodies.

A new, iWork software bundle, with Keynote 2 and Pages, and an updated iLife suite, including Garageband 2.

So, the rumors were pretty accurate, as summarized in the San Francisco Chronicle article Kimo linked.
                "Whether it's $499 or $599, it would be interesting. In fact, it would be quite a coup for Apple if they can do it," said Jason Snell, editor in chief of Macworld magazine. A computer at that price could potentially convert more Windows PC users to Macintosh by allowing them to try an Apple computer at a much lower price, Snell said.
                Makes sense to me. If you're going to blow $499 for an iPod Photo, why not spend just as much on a whole computer (sans monitor)? A neat move.
                Last edited by pzarquon; January 11, 2005, 08:34 AM.

Comment

It's official: Steve Jobs today announced the introduction of a $499 Mac "Mini" and a "flash" iPod, just prior to the big MacWorld trade show in SF.

Miulang

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5...ml?tag=nl.e589
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Are they trying to take over the world?

That new iPod is tempting (I'll check out the apple store tomorrow) but that mini mac is just so cute!!! SFF computer users, beware; Apple is targeting you!

Comment

I'll probably get the new iPod soon. That is all I need, something small to temporarily carry around only the songs I like for the moment. And the thing is affordable.

The mini Mac might be nice if I can figure out a way to hook it up to my G4 Mac's keyboard and monitor at the same time as my present setup.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mac mini starting price of $499?

The specs seem anemic if you ask me. It looks like they got the guts of an iBook G4 and put it in a tiny case.

I figure if you want to dabble around in Mac OS X, I'd just pay the extra bucks and get a full blown system, perhaps a PowerBook or any of the G5-based systems.

Sadly, I was hoping they would have updated the PowerBook line.

Comment

True, if you upgraded the Mac Mini to where you, as a tech savvy user, would want it to be, you'd be spending at least $1,000, at which point you might as well go for the G5. But this thing is pointed right at non-Mac users, a kind of taste-test for OSX. Put any non-techie consumer in front of that, and they'll wonder what they've been doing messing with XP all this time.

I mean, the Mac Mini costs about what a high-end iPod (the iPod Photo) costs. That should tell you something.

The iPod is the first piece of Apple hardware a lot of people bring into their lives. For many of them, it takes up a central focus in their lives. Why not capitalize on those inroads and show them more of what Apple is all about?

I like the Shuffle, but really think I'd better hold out for a standard 20GB one first. The Shuffle looks great as a 'second iPod,' though.

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                            Mac mini starting price of $499?

The specs seem anemic if you ask me. It looks like they got the guts of an iBook G4 and put it in a tiny case.

I figure if you want to dabble around in Mac OS X, I'd just pay the extra bucks and get a full blown system, perhaps a PowerBook or any of the G5-based systems.

Sadly, I was hoping they would have updated the PowerBook line.
                            But not much of us has the space on our desks (or in our room) for 2 computers.

The Mini Mac would be nice, and coupled with a decent sized LCD, it can fit on my computer desk.

Comment

If you are going to the Apple Store at Ala Moana Center, don't bother trying to buy an iPod Shuffle there. They won't have any until later this month. I went to check.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X