Computer specs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer specs.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of computer specifications you fellow "forumites" have.

I myself have the following in my computer:
    Asus P4S8X-X motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8ghz w/ 533mhz FSB Processor
    Maxtor 120gb and 60gb Hard Drives
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Video Card
    Crucial 512mb DDRsdram @ 2700 Memory
    Lite-On CD burner
    Samsung DVD-ROM
    all in a Antec 660amg case.

Basically, I have one of the fasted PCs right now.

If you want to add your computer, it doesn't have to be as "complex" as mine. I built mine last summer, so I have all of my parts information etched into my brain.

BTW, I'm running Microsoft Windows XP home.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Computer specs.

A Compaq 7360. Got it since 1999.

500 MHz AMD K6 Processor
    64 MBytes of memory (attempted to add another 64MBytes of memory but I busted the plastic clips so I am stuck at 64Mbytes)
    Original came with 10Gbyte disk drive but I added a 40Gbyte disk drive
    CD-ROM drive failed about a year ago, changed that with a 52x24x52x CD burner.
    Changed the mouse to an optical about 2 or 3 years ago.
    Canon i250 printer (that replaced a Lexmark Z11 printer a year ago).
    15" monitor which came from yet another older Compaq
    Changed the modem about 2 years ago
    Tried to use an Ethernet card but that gave some problems so that got removed.
    Added a USB card.
    Running Windows 98

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      A Compaq 7360. Got it since 1999.

500 MHz AMD K6 Processor
      64 MBytes of memory (attempted to add another 64MBytes of memory but I busted the plastic clips so I am stuck at 64Mbytes)
      Original came with 10Gbyte disk drive but I added a 40Gbyte disk drive
      CD-ROM drive failed about a year ago, changed that with a 52x24x52x CD burner.
      Changed the mouse to an optical about 2 or 3 years ago.
      Canon i250 printer (that replaced a Lexmark Z11 printer a year ago).
      15" monitor which came from yet another older Compaq
      Changed the modem about 2 years ago
      Tried to use an Ethernet card but that gave some problems so that got removed.
      Added a USB card.
      Running Windows 98
      Damn, that's an old system compared to some of the ones I'm using today.

Did you actually break the memory clips? And what kind of problems did the Ethernet card give you?

If you still want, then I could give you some advice. Or, you can upgrade. Running Win98 in today's world won't get you too far, especially since Microsoft has stopped supporting '98 (or was that '95?)

You can get a good "home computer" for about $500, but if you want something close to my specs, then you can spend as little as $900.

Comment

I finally remembered my family's computer specs.

AMD Athlon 1ghz processor
        384mb SDRAM memory (upgraded from 128mb)
        64mb graphics card (upgraded from 8mb)
        Original 40gb Hard Drive
        Liteon combo CD burner and DVD-ROM (upgraded from seperate drives)
        Windows XP home (upgraded from win98)
        17" CRT monitor (changed it from a 19" CRT)
        Stock compaq keyboard and mouse
        HP 932c Deskjet printer
        Umax scanner (both printer and scanner came w/ the system)

Cost: $3000 at CompUSA.

I'm ready to throw this computer away, because it's too damn slow for me (but my mom says that "it's antique").

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
          Damn, that's an old system compared to some of the ones I'm using today.

Did you actually break the memory clips? And what kind of problems did the Ethernet card give you?
          Yes I did break the clips, I suppose if it exist I could find a 128Mbyte memory board but it works okay on 64Mbytes. I can't remember the real problem with the Ethernet card but it's a moot point since I don't have DSL anyway.

If you still want, then I could give you some advice. Or, you can upgrade.
          Thanks but speed is not an issue for me. Beside I brought a used Dell PC a few weeks ago but I haven't had the chance to work on it.

Comment

I'm interested in knowing what kind of computer specifications you fellow "forumites" have.
            From the Apple System Profiler on my nearly 3 year old Power Macintosh G4 Quicksilver, here are that computer's basic specs:

Software Overview:

System version : Mac OS X 10.2 (6C115)
            Boot volume : Mel's G4 OS X
            Kernel version : Darwin Kernel Version 6.0: RELEASE_PPC

Hardware Overview:

Machine speed : 733 MHz
            Bus speed : 133 MHz
            Number of processors : 1
            L2 cache size : 256K
            Machine model : Power Mac G4 (version = 2.0)
            Boot ROM info : 4.2.5f1

Devices (mel list): 2 internal 40 GB ATA hard drives, 1 booting OS X the other booting OS 9.2.1. External 80 GB LaCie Firewire drive with 1 OS X boot volume on a partition, 12x internal CD burner, SCSI card, 250MB SCSI Zip Drive, various USB devices including a Palm IIIc, HP Scanner, Lexmark Inkjet printer, USB Hub, iMic audio input device, Dazzle memory card readers, Smart 1.4MB floppy drive, Apple keyboard, mouse

Memory Overview:

Location Type Size
            DIMM0/J21 SDRAM 128 MB
            DIMM1/J22 SDRAM 512 MB
            DIMM2/J23 SDRAM 512 MB

The computer specs from Apple System Profiler is longer and more comprehensive than what I posted here, but I think this short list will do. This certainly is not the fastest computer around here, but for me it does just fine.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

ba bump (for anyone who didn't post their specs)

BTW, I upgraded my RAM to a gig a few weeks ago.

Comment

Compaq Presario

2.6Ghz Intel Celeron Processor
                512MB RAM
                Windows XP Home
                12X CD-R/RW
                DVD +R/RW
                40GB HD
                80GB HD
                10/100 NIC
                17in Monitor
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Talk about an old thread.. I guess i'll add to my specs on my G4:

I have 2 internal hard drives, both Western Digital 40 GB:

Each drive can boot into a specific OS:

Drive 1 - Mac OSX
                  Drive 2 - Mac OS 9.2.2

(Click on the above OS's and you'll see a couple of old screenshots of my desktop from my G4 about a year and a half ago.)

The Power Mac G4 is dual booting so I get the best of both worlds here... classic Mac and Unix based OS X.

I also have a 120GB external Firewire drive and that is also bootable to OS X. The boot volume on that drive contains utility programs to fix the other 2 drives in case something bad happens to them (nothing so far since late 2002)....

I have an Apple flatscreen monitor.
                  Last edited by mel; November 13, 2004, 03:40 PM. Reason: added hotlinks
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My personal computer is a Compaq Presario 2535QV Laptop with an Intel P4 2.4Ghz. I don't know the FSB but I know it's less than 533Mhz. It has an integrated 64-bit ATI Radeon 9700 chipset and am running 512Mb of PC2700 SDRAM. It runs graphics and video pretty well. It also has the standard variety of add on's like the 52x CD-RW/DVD combo drive, S-Video output, and built in WiFi.

My first desktop build (for my boy) is finally up and running fantastically. That computer was built for expansion and further upgrades and was intended to become the GREATEST GAMING COMPUTER THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN!!!! echo echo echo echo echo echo. Okay at least in this household anyway

It has a Celeron-D 315 2.26Ghz running at 533 FSB with 256Kb L2 cache, 512Mb Buffalo DDR400 PC3200 ram, AudioExcel 8738-6ch MX 5.1 channel sound card, ATI Radeon Pro 9200SE AGP8X 64MB DDR graphics card, Mad Dog Dominator CDRW/DVD 52x Rom drive.

All loaded in a SOYO barebones: SY-A45A0 ATX Gaming case, 350-watt ATX-12 power supply and a SOYO SY-P4VTE motherboard capable of running up to an Intel P4 (Prescott) 3.4 with HT and 800 FSB and 2Gb of DDR400 ram.

The entire build cost less than $350 FedEx delivered. I picked up a used Sony Trinitron 19-inch flat screen monitor at a computer recycler here in Hilo for $29, a new internet keyboard for $29 from WalMart, an optical USB mouse with cool blue illumination from Radio Shack and a used Altec Lansing 6-channel sound system for $30 from my friend in Honolulu.

I know I could have bought a Dell for the same price with a Pentium P4 but it was the thrill of building this monster that justified the cost. But this system rocks with the graphics and sound system. It may be a Celeron but because I'm running separate sound and video, the processor is pretty much left to only running applications.

Eventually I want to upgrade to a P4 with HT and up the video card to 256mb but for now my kid's happy. He's been upgraded from a Celeron running 850Mhz 133 FSB, 256 PC133 ram, integrated sound and video and looking at a 14-monitor, and listening on a cheapo $8 non-powered computer speakers.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, everyone here will be stopping by your house to check out your awesome system, play all of the crazy games while listening to rap music gone amok on this wonderful new computer you built. Sounds like a killer! :-)
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Not a killer yet, just a personal property damage criminal with that wimpy Celeron processor.

But when the time comes and the money flows like hot lava, HELCO better up their generators to Terawatts because dis monsta going rock da Big Island!!!! Echo echo echo echo.......damn that vog is really affecting us real bad over here in Keaau.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Not a killer yet, just a personal property damage criminal with that wimpy Celeron processor.

But when the time comes and the money flows like hot lava, HELCO better up their generators to Terawatts because dis monsta going rock da Big Island!!!! Echo echo echo echo.......damn that vog is really affecting us real bad over here in Keaau.
                          I don't mean to burst your bubble, but my computer can kick yours in a few minutes (no offense intended).

And my computer isn't the best on Oahu, because I know a few other people that can kick mine into the dump.

I know how you feel about your new computer, but don't rub it into other people's faces. Sooner or later, that glory will wear out, and you'll have to upgrade again.

Comment

My computer could probably kick Craig's computer too.
                            But i'm giving him some slack, as he actually built his
                            computer from scatch
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

The fact of the matter is that everyone's computer will be superceded by someone else's computer that will be bigger, badder, flashier and faster.... and we all will continue to pour money down the drain into the endless upgrade train that computer makers and the software companies live on. Sigh... when is it time to stop?
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X