Price of school lunches to rise by 50 cents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of school lunches to rise by 50 cents

In my day, lunches were a quarter and you had no choice; everybody ate the same "mystery meat" or "bubble and squeak" or brought food from home.

Nowadays, kids get to choose from several menu items, so I don't see how raising the price of a school lunch by 50 cents should raise too many eyebrows. And hey, if the parents can't afford the increase, there are always bologna sandwiches!

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03p.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Price of school lunches to rise by 50 cents

Originally posted by Miulang
    In my day, lunches were a quarter and you had no choice; everybody ate the same "mystery meat" or "bubble and squeak" or brought food from home.

Nowadays, kids get to choose from several menu items, so I don't see how raising the price of a school lunch by 50 cents should raise too many eyebrows. And hey, if the parents can't afford the increase, there are always bologna sandwiches!

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03p.html
    They get to choose?

When I was in HS, I probably ate the same meals at you (hopefully not that old).

Anyway, at Waipahu, a teacher opened up a snack shop where people can purchase meals of chips, candy, and soda.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I remember when school lunches were a quarter. Then again, there was never any picking-and-choosing allowed. I used to bring chocolate syrup in a little canister so I could convert my half-pint of milk into chocolate milk, but that was about it.

My wife makes our daughter home lunch as often as possible, since at least we know she'll eat it. It's still probably more expensive per meal than the current $1, or the new $1.50, though.

You're not getting catering by Alan Wong or anything, but I know lunches are still heavily subsidized and a pretty good deal. It's the families for whom $1.50, let alone $1, are too much that we have to be worried about.

Comment

Well....I'm a Schoolfood Service Manager on the Big Island and we were told that the hike is because the cost to make a lunch has gone up. It now cost $3.00 per plate to make a lunch . The increase is needed to make up that cost. My solution would be to raise the reduced price to 50 cents( which is within guidelines) ,but the board of ed said no(BTW, it has been 20 cents for over 25 years). I feel the kids whose parents make a good income always have to "pay" for the system. AUWE!
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
          Well....I'm a Schoolfood Service Manager on the Big Island and we were told that the hike is because the cost to make a lunch has gone up. It now cost $3.00 per plate to make a lunch . The increase is needed to make up that cost. My solution would be to raise the reduced price to 50 cents( which is within guidelines) ,but the board of ed said no(BTW, it has been 20 cents for over 25 years). I feel the kids whose parents make a good income always have to "pay" for the system. AUWE!
          Well yes, that's the idea. The people who make a good income subsidize everybody else. That's how government programs work.

Comment

Another reason for the increase in the cost of food is because the schools allow kids to have more choices in what they get to eat at lunch. Back in the dark ages, we didn't have the yogurt, fresh fruit, pizza, etc. It was mostly surplus food made palatable by a cafeteria manager's creativity. And the menu only rotated about every three weeks.

It is true, though, that the families who can afford to pay full price are the ones who are going to bear the brunt of any increase in the costs. But that's also called "the price of living in a civilized society".

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

[ the families who can afford to pay full price are the ones who are going to bear the brunt of any increase in the costs. But that's also called "the price of living in a civilized society".

Miulang[/QUOTE]
              What about all people being equal? Public school don't have discounts on school fees ....yearbooks ....proms etc... for people who can't afford it. These children should be taught about REAL life ....after their "schooldaze".
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Unfortunately, AlohaBear, the longer you live, the more you come to realize that there is no such thing as "equality". You learn to play the games and you learn how to get "your share", but don't expect to sit back and have things handed to you. In other words, some people/things are more "equal" than others.

You want equal? Then make public school kids all wear uniforms, so the kids from lower income families don't feel discriminated against because they can't afford the Hilfilger jeans, etc. Make all high school kids take the bus or walk to school, don't let kids drive cars. That's how you would level the playing field.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Unfortunately, AlohaBear, the longer you live, the more you come to realize that there is no such thing as "equality". You learn to play the games and you learn how to get "your share", but don't expect to sit back and have things handed to you.
                  Miulang

word to da wise:

"It's not fay yurrr!"
                  should not be heard outside the grade school sandbox;

generally speaking,
                  You don't get what you deserve in life. You get what you negotiate for.

Comment

School Lunches Up? After being up there financially and with status, then losing everything in a matter of months, my kids didn't complain one bit...nor shame to stand in line for food tickets for lunch. They rose above it all, got jobs and still graduated from High School. They joined the Military so they wouldn't have to make the same mistakes their peers are doing which is complaining and not doing anything about it. The rich giving, so people like me and my kids get the benefits? I think not!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Back in my "time", we used to use those lunch tokens. Lunch was good back then and we students didn't complain. I think lunch was about 50 cents and breakfast was around 35 cents; student lunches were free or cheaper if you came from a low income family. In intermediate, it was something like 75 cents and in high school they raised the price to $1 dollar; that was over 10 years ago. I guess it's fair to raise the lunch price since they haven't done it in like a decade. It beats having to pay for outside food that costs $4 dollars and up. So be thankful.

Comment

Working...
                      X