Lingle Concerned about Natl Guard callups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lingle Concerned about Natl Guard callups

Well, all of a sudden your Governor is becoming concerned about the large number of National Guard troops who have been called to active duty and are either serving in Iraq and Afghanistan or are on the way to those areas.

She has good reason to be concerned: Close to 90% of all Guardsmen in Hawai'i have been called to duty. Last week, the Commander of the Hawai'i National Guard joked that the only Reservists he had left in Hawai'i were in the Reserve Band! Hawai'i, more than just about any other state, has been hit hard by these deployments.

The majority of Reservists have jobs they had to leave behind, as well as families who have lost a vital source of income.

It would be good if your Governor (and all the other Governors in all the other states) could come up with a way to financially help out the active Reservists by supplementing their battle pay with an additional amount to come close to what they were earning as civilians so their families don't have to suffer financially by their absence. It's hard enough explaning to a young child why her Daddy or Mommy isn't there to tuck her into bed; it's another thing when that family is unable to give that child the kind of life she had before her parent(s) went to war.

Better yet, bring 'em home where they belong.

Miulang

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...62/detail.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain
Working...
X