PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with Vienna Sausage?

scrivener
January 14th, 2005, 06:05 PM
(sing it to the tune of the "What do you do with a waffle hot-dog?" commercial)

Come on. I know you eat it, too. So how do you prepare it?

I normally just fry it a little with some shoyu and eat it on rice, but my favorite way to eat it is heated up, sliced up, and dumped on top of cold pork and beans. Yum. Hot Vienna sausage and cold VanCamp's!

kimo55
January 14th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I normally just fry it a little with some shoyu and eat it on rice, but my favorite way to eat it is heated up, sliced up, and dumped on top of cold pork and beans. Yum. Hot Vienna sausage and cold VanCamp's!

wow. just the opposite!
Hot poke un beenz with vienna sausages tossed rite in from that lil can, sans that clear gel stuff.

or, straight outta the can with crackers just before a workout for quick energy and protein.

Glen Miyashiro
January 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Ugh. They may be a local tradition, but I never liked those little mushy excuses for a sausage. Give me fried spam any day instead. :p

scrivener
January 14th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Hey, Vienna sausage is certainly no Spam...I'd never claim such blasphemy. However, what Vienna sausage is is four cans for a dollar when it goes on sale.

I'm a teacher. These things mean something.

Albert
January 15th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Feed it to the cats.

Linkmeister
January 15th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Feed it to the cats.

OOH! Wait till PETA hears about that! :D

Albert
January 15th, 2005, 02:06 PM
"OOH! Wait till PETA hears about that!"

No problem, the cats don't like the things.

helen
January 15th, 2005, 03:41 PM
It's been years since I ate Vienna Sausages, prefer hot dogs instead.

But to be on topic, I either have it with pork and beans or as a sandwich meat.

Miulang
January 15th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I've been known to slice them up, add green onions and scramble them with eggs into an omelet. When I was a kid, my mom used to cook them in shoyu with a little sugar, and add it as part of a bento with a musubi and boiled green beans and an omelet made with eggs, shoyu and a little sugar (we used to call it "shoyu eggs")

Miulang

pzarquon
January 15th, 2005, 05:22 PM
My wife finds them to be among the most repulsive creations ever to grace a pantry shelf, but I grew up with them, and my kids love 'em too.

The way we prepare it is similar to scrivener's, but we more sautee them in a very small pot along with shoyu and a generous dollop of sugar. Let it cook and reduce 'til you have a tasty, thick teriyaki-esque sauce along with the sausages, and serve with quick-boil ramen. Mmm!

cezanne
January 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM
My wife was born and raised on the mainland and she doesn't understand it either. Here's mine: heat pan with a little oil (or whatever is within reach: Pam, margerine, etc), open can, throw everything into the still heating pan... juice and all, beat a couple of eggs. Allow liquid to reduce..haha, dump in eggs and cook til eggs are scrambled well but not overdone. This goes with a couple of digs of rice and ketchup all over. I dunno, for some reason I like to eat this with room temp rice instead of freshly cooked rice.

1stwahine
January 16th, 2005, 07:25 PM
:D heat and serve.with a side of can oil sardines,poi, and maui onions w/hawaiian salt!

glossyp
January 17th, 2005, 07:27 AM
My dad would eat them straight out of the can. My ex (Japanese national) would smash them, mix in mayo and soy sauce, then spread on top of hot rice. I like them as fish bait.

Miulang
January 18th, 2005, 10:47 AM
You can also wrap 'em with croissant roll dough and make "pigs in a blanket", although I prefer to use little Hillshire Farm beef smokies for this.

Miulang

Palama Kid
May 14th, 2006, 04:25 PM
My dad would eat them straight out of the can.
Man, how I wen miss dis one? Small kid time, we would make musubi, wrap 'em with nori; den wen we ready to eat, rip off da vienna sausage top and pour da gelatin on top da musubi. Not so much to crumble up da musubi, but juss get da rice wet. Truss me . . . no can beat.

Oh, yeah, one mo ting: no need ume insai da musubi if I eating vienna sausage.

I no can believe all dis heating and cooking you guys doing. Poho da energy.

Dale
May 14th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Come new years, you stick da firecracker inside 'um and throw 'um to the sky!!!

kupomog
May 14th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Mostly only eat it fried with eggs or rice, or use it in fried rice. My favorite is chopping it up and frying it with scrambled eggs and string beans almost like an omelette, but I eat it with rice.

And then there's shoyu/sugar vienna (if we don't have rice, I put it in plain bread). I don't usually put it together with spam but if I do, I make sure to leave the vienna in for awhile before the spam soaks everything up.

wowlaulau
May 15th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I usually fry 'em until almost burnt and just eat 'em with rice and choke ketchup! Yum! If I'm feeling lazy, I just open a can of vienna sausage and pork and beans. Put the sausage on a piece of bread and cover it with the p&b and eat it like that!

Leo Lakio
May 15th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Vienna sausage haiku:
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/122705/today-is-haiku-day.gif

Surfingfarmboy
May 15th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I remember Vienna sausage used to be part of the assorted meats that were included on the really big plate lunch specials frequently served on Friday's at Masu's. There were days on Fridays, where the plate lunch would consist of up to five different kinds of meat, of which one of them would be a can of Vienna sausage. I never ate their plate lunch specials, but I knew plenty of people who did, and I always thought it was unique how Masu's would throw in can of Vienna sausage as one of the plate lunch items. Usually, on days when Vienna sausage was served, one would also get a piece of coconut cake for dessert!

I don't know what Masu's is up to of late, when it comes to the offerings in their plate lunches, and if they are still including Vienna sausage, on occasion, to their plate lunches. I have had people send me links to their online menu, just so I can peruse it for old times sake.

Also: Vienna sausage was/is quite popular in Chicago. I remember seeing plenty of locals there eating it the brief period of time I lived there. Most people I saw consuming it would eat it right out of the can on lunch breaks, with their version of chili pepper water. It could be had cheap....20 cents a can on sale.

SusieMisajon
May 15th, 2006, 08:59 AM
BooHoo! No can get, over here! No Spam, either.

Pomai
May 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM
The most revolting concoction I ever sampled was V.S. served uncooked (although it's technically already cooked) in shoyu and vinegar. :eek:

To me, V.S. tastes sort of like an encased version of Deviled Ham... the icon of the term "Mystery Meat". Great disaster survival items such as Hurricane preparedness, otherwise those cans usually collect dust in my pantry or I end up giving it to the Food Bank.

Pua'i Mana'o
May 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM
(sing it to the tune of the "What do you do with a waffle hot-dog?" commercial)

Come on. I know you eat it, too. So how do you prepare it?

Carcinogenic foods I grew up eating (and method of preparation):

Vienna right out of the can
Ditto for pork&beans (cold)
Spam was fried (as I grew older, I learned to dress it with sugar and shoyu when frying)
Speghetti-os quickly boiled up (pre-microwave era)
Saimin, according to the pkg (and whatever dashi didn't fall out of the packet, I would swipe out and lick off my fingers)

The only thing of the above list that I eat is spam (in musubis). Portuguese sausage isn't on this list, because if it is the homemade kind, then of course it is healthy :D

When Redondo's comes back out with its smoked turkey tails (discontinued about two decades ago, da lousy buggahs), I am *all* over that bad-boy! Sliced up and fried, wooo-hoo!

Erika Engle
May 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
My dad would eat them straight out of the can. My ex (Japanese national) would smash them, mix in mayo and soy sauce, then spread on top of hot rice. I like them as fish bait.
The mayo-shoyu mixture is one of my absolute favorite flavor combinations, so when I read this I KNEW I had to try your ex's technique.
I'm eating it right now and yes, I know it's unhealthy, but I think it's going to become one of my once-in-awhile comfort-food, rib- (and figure-) sticking standby-lunches. (Oops -- was that out loud?)
:D

... and of course, I'll have it with a DIET soda!

Da Rolling Eye
May 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM
All of the above. Also out of the can dipped in shoyu/kochu jang sauce. Melanie likes my "world famous" VS omelette rolled in a flour tortilla for breakfast. VS omelette used to be part of my pineapple-picking-days lunch at least 3 times a week. It was the easiest and quickest thing to make. Top part of the bento can had the omelette and the rice was packed in the bottom. It may not be the healthiest, but it is fun to eat. Trying sucksquooshing it back and forth between your teeth. :confused: :D

craigwatanabe
May 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM
put em in a food processor along with a peeled hard boiled egg, some salt and other seasoning to taste and blend the whole thing down to a paste and spread it over a Ritz cracker. Tastes just like pate only cheaper.

pzarquon
May 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
That's... intriguing. Mildly disturbing, but intriguing.

zccb
May 24th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I fry it with butter and eat it with eggs and rice, oh and ketchup.

pauwela
May 24th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I like to pop that can open, dump it on a plate, then open that can of beer, and eat it with maui onion. how good is that :)

Mangoseed
June 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM
No joke, the bes way is to cook in shoyu sweetened with sugar, maybe thin out the shoyu with some water. Whack a meal with rice and kimchee.

helen
December 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I have to admit that heating the vienna sausages in the microwave for 45 to 60 seconds for a group of 7 sausage does make it easier to eat.

Walkoff Balk
December 9th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Can you taste the difference between the chicken or pork?
Libby's or Armour?

craigwatanabe
December 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I've actually taken vienna sausages and hard boiled eggs and ran it thru my food processor until it turned into a paste. Came out tasting exactly like Pate! Spread it on a cracker and couldn't tell the difference.:D

cyleet99
December 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Dad ate them straight from the can while fishing. I love vi-eenas like that; but I really want to try them Craig's way. That sounds great!

I never heard of cooking them; HTers continue to broaden my horizons.

:p

hawaiiguy
December 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
one of my favorite comfort foods...i fry it with margarine and then eat it with plenty of ketchup (or sometimes without) and room temp rice and corn niblets straight from the can...

It's *Libby's* chicken/beef/pork combo..nothing comes close!!!

I will not buy any other brand!!!

scrivener
December 9th, 2009, 10:08 PM
What a great thread. Someone hit me up with some green chiclets.

Mike_Lowery
December 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I hate them straight outta the can--tastes like chunky deviled meat, which I guess is what it really is.

I looooove'em in omelets tho...with shoyu on my rice and ketchup all over the omelet. I don't like Sriracha with this omelet.

Kimo
December 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Definitely Libby's - and they make a fine accompaniment to EASY-Mac.

craigwatanabe
December 10th, 2009, 09:27 AM
What a great thread. Someone hit me up with some green chiclets.

Sorry couldn't find any green ones by themselves but here ya go!:D

1stwahine
December 10th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Waikiki Beach many years ago we rode the bus, about ten of us ages five to ten from Aala Park. Our parents would pay Aunty Rita to baby sit us. We swam next to the Wall on the right side. At noon she would call out "LUNCH!" We would come running and sit around while she busted out the Vienna Sausage Cans and 1 loaf of bread. It tasted ono den and it shua taste ono now wen eva I come out of the wata. Certain tings neva change foa me.

Deviled Ham is also a favorite of mine outta the can onto the bread I eat um just like dat. I'm simple and pua juss da way I like to be. ;)

Auntie Lynn

craigwatanabe
December 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM
When I used to work for Kaimuki Typewriter, I would go to Thomas Square and bust out a can of Vienna Sausage and bread too and eat under the Banyan tree. That's all I could afford back then.

Ron Whitfield
December 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
My friend make's his unique fried rice by tossing correctly cooked white rice into a big skillet with sausage water from the 2 small cans and any extra H2O needed. Add green onion, yellow onion, and hand crumbled sausages, stirring often/briskly, and when the rice starts seperating bust at least one egg over and stir a bunch to make the egg merely coat everything lightly. The more you stir the more everything seperates. Then pop it into the oven a @ med. heat to crisp it all up to taste, stirring/flipping occassinally.

This is THE ONLY way I'll consider eating VS.

Walkoff Balk
December 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Squeeze your 4 fingers with your palm up with your other hand and you have Vienna sausage when you open the can.

helen
December 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Great disaster survival items such as Hurricane preparedness, otherwise those cans usually collect dust in my pantry or I end up giving it to the Food Bank.

I really don't remember when I brought my current stash of Libby's Vienna Sausage but it was during some older hurricane season. I have to admit based on taste Spam is better than Vienna Sausage. In defense of Vienna Sausage storing the cans don't take that much space and if you have to eat it out of the can due to an emergency you don't need any utensils, whereas the Spam you need at least a knife to cut it into slices unless you are okay with eating that loaf of Spam as one piece.

Definitely Libby's - and they make a fine accompaniment to EASY-Mac.

The irony of it all is that my current stash is going to expire on Dec. 15, 2009. I was planning to open a cup of Easy Mac and then add today's can to that but it turns out all of the Easy Mac that I purchased in Summer or early Fall expired in October.

cynsaligia
December 11th, 2009, 12:09 AM
saute chopped garlic & onion; add sliced vienna sausage & cook til it's close to your level of done. add chopped tomatoes & douse w/patis. you may add scrambled eggs to this if you want & cook til eggs to your liking or you can just work w/the vienna sausage sans eggs. either way, pile upon rice (add ketchup, tabasco, shoyu, whatever) & be happy that your tummy will shortly be satisfied.

the tomato, onion, garlic & patis treatment is called sarciado, if i'm not mistaken.

i also do vienna sausage kim chee stir fry.

Sharilyn
December 11th, 2009, 04:16 AM
The irony of it all is that my current stash is going to expire on Dec. 15, 2009. I was planning to open a cup of Easy Mac and then add today's can to that but it turns out all of the Easy Mac that I purchased in Summer or early Fall expired in October.
In another thread, I mentioned having two cans of spam that were two years past the expiration date. We ate them -- no problemo. Depending on what it is, I don't bother worrying about expired canned goods.

D'Alani
December 11th, 2009, 04:41 AM
We used to stuff the vienna sausage into those round kamaboko with the hole in the middle, slice it up and eat it as pupu. Ono you know!

Honoruru
December 11th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I think Vienna Sausage is perfect as emergency food. Always keep a bunch of cans handy. When I do eat them, I usually just add shoyu and sugar (or Mirin). I also like them sliced in scrambled eggs, served over rice, with shoyu.

salmoned
December 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Send to PI, spam too (<=$1.50). Wen no can fish, dey grind.

turtlegirl
December 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Ugh. Here's what I do with Vienna Sausage -

Donate them to the nearest charity.

cyleet99
December 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM

No worries, helen. Eat up! I rarely pay attention to expiration dates; I pay attention to my nose. If it is rancid or bad, you will know.

saute chopped garlic & onion; add sliced vienna sausage & cook til it's close to your level of done. add chopped tomatoes & douse w/patis. you may add scrambled eggs to this if you want & cook til eggs to your liking or you can just work w/the vienna sausage sans eggs. either way, pile upon rice (add ketchup, tabasco, shoyu, whatever) & be happy that your tummy will shortly be satisfied.

the tomato, onion, garlic & patis treatment is called sarciado, if i'm not mistaken.

i also do vienna sausage kim chee stir fry.

sounds good! I have never tried cooking with viennas!

We used to stuff the vienna sausage into those round kamaboko with the hole in the middle, slice it up and eat it as pupu. Ono you know!

I need to find that kamaboko.

I think Vienna Sausage is perfect as emergency food. Always keep a bunch of cans handy. When I do eat them, I usually just add shoyu and sugar (or Mirin). I also like them sliced in scrambled eggs, served over rice, with shoyu.

Yum! Sorry, TG, I am a great fan of canned meats. The only one I don't like is corned beef. (Oh, and low-sodium Spam and viennas, and the turkey version; another thread altogether.)

Sharilyn
December 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I hated VS as a child, and haven't had it since my early 20s. But, all this talk makes me want to buy a can and try it again.

D'Alani
December 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I need to find that kamaboko.

It looks like this and can be found in most markets with the other kamaboko. It's called Chikuwa.

http://z.about.com/d/japanesefood/1/0/B/3/chikuwa.gif (http://z.about.com/d/japanesefood/1/0/B/3/chikuwa.gif)

cynsaligia
December 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM
the irony with chicken vienna sausage, like the chicken version of kalua pork, is that the chicken iteration is higher in fat than the original, btw.

Walkoff Balk
December 11th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Anyone tried it with ogo bought from downtown?

cyleet99
December 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Anyone tried it with ogo bought from downtown?

The preservatives from the Vi-eenas would do battle with any nasty ogo attackers and protect those who love the sausages!!

heheheh :rolleyes:

BTW, thanks, D'Alani, I will look for it!

surlygirly
December 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
What do I do? Leave them on the shelf and keep on walking. Ew! However...Gerber's graduates has Turkey and Chicken sticks that are a lot like Vienna Sausages without all the gross fat. Just rinse them off after opening and mmm. Much better for you! And they taste better too.

helen
August 18th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Sometimes I will add a can of Vienna Sausage (as in just the sausages and not the water or the can itself) to a pot of either Hormel's chili or Dinty Moore's Beef Stew.

scrivener
August 19th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Reading through this old thread was really fun.

helen
November 19th, 2019, 08:40 PM
A few days ago I had case of munchies and opening up a can of Vienna Sausage sort of helped.

So yeah I ate it plain out of the can after draining the water from the can.

I do plan on buying another case of Vienna Sausage once my current stash runs out.

hawaiiguy
November 19th, 2019, 09:30 PM
yikes, I cannot eat it plain...I love it fried in butter or margarine !

Walkoff Balk
November 20th, 2019, 08:30 PM
I need to put hot sauce on it to get any taste.

helen
April 5th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Been on the lookout for a case of Vienna Sausage since March 2020. Sam's Club where I would normally buy a case has been out of them since then. On Saturday (4/4/20) while at Don Quijote shopping for laundry soap I stumbled across a stack of Spam and next to it a bigger stack of those 18 can case of Libby Vienna Sausage!

Needless to say I purchased a case of the Vienna Sausages and 3 cans of Spam, as well as the laundry soap.

Walkoff Balk
April 7th, 2020, 09:50 PM
There were a few cans of Vienna sausage when I purchased them at Longs. All the canned tuna and canned soup were gone already.

Ron Whitfield
April 7th, 2020, 11:21 PM
as doggie treats when they beg for food I ain't sharing

helen
April 12th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Was at Sam's Club on Saturday (4/11/20) and they had a less than a pallet worth of the 18 can case of Libby Vienna Sausage. I was thinking of purchasing that but realized I already had the case I purchased the week before.